DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
disneydad33
Earning My Ears

Major headache?

We just bought DVC direct while at AKL for AKV yesterday! We wanted to buy our first points direct through Disney but I would like to add more points from the resale market in the future. Our sales person said that Use Year is a big issue if adding on resale points in the future. He said if we bought points that have a different UY month than ours that it causes "major headaches" and isn't worth it. Is there truth to this? Should UY be a consideration when buying resale? Or is he just trying to keep us buying direct?
disneydad33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

If you purchase a different UY, you will end up with multiple memberships. In order to use the points for a single reservation, you would have to either (1) transfer points from one membership to the other, or (2) book separate reservation using each membership and have them linked. Points transferred retain their original home resort and UY.

If you purchase the same UY, those points can be added to your existing membership as a subcontract if titled exactly the same way. Using these points for a single reservation is seamless (no transfer, no multiple rooms). If different home resorts, you can combine them for a reservation at 7 months. If the same home resort, you can combine them for reservations at 11 months.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydad33 View Post
We just bought DVC direct while at AKL for AKV yesterday! We wanted to buy our first points direct through Disney but I would like to add more points from the resale market in the future. Our sales person said that Use Year is a big issue if adding on resale points in the future. He said if we bought points that have a different UY month than ours that it causes "major headaches" and isn't worth it. Is there truth to this? Should UY be a consideration when buying resale? Or is he just trying to keep us buying direct?
UY should be a consideration in your case when buying direct. When will you vacation and what UY did they sell you?

Why did you buy direct if you don't mind me asking?

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Years ago I wanted more BCV points, and I have March UY. I almost bought a different UY, but in the end I wound up buying direct. I am someone who would go out of my way, pay more if I have to, to get the same UY.

Some people say that it's not that much of a hassle but you do have to transfer the points from one to the other if you want to combine points for a single night. I do not think this can be done on line, and mostly I book on line now.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
disneydad33
Earning My Ears

We typically vacation in the fall although and the UY we were given was April, backdated to 2013 to have more points available quickly.

We bought direct initially to have the flexibility to use all of the "collections" (yes I know it is not usually the 'best' use of points). I would like to buy more points in the future via resale.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
We typically vacation in the fall although and the UY we were given was April, backdated to 2013 to have more points available quickly.

We bought direct initially to have the flexibility to use all of the "collections" (yes I know it is not usually the 'best' use of points). I would like to buy more points in the future via resale.
You are currently in your 2013 UY so nothing was back dated. As you have probably read you get added insurance by choosing a UY just prior to your normal vacation dates.

8 month banking window means that with an April UY, your have to bank by the end of November to save your points. That means that the points for December - May canceled vacations have to used before April or you lose them. Disney picks a UY and puts everyone in it for some reason. My guess it that there is some financial benefit that I am not aware of.

Think about your UY, you have 10 days from signing your contract to change it. After that the only way to change it is to sell the contract.

You might want to think about the collections again, buying resale can save you thousands of dollars.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Nothing was backdated, and you got nothing special.

An April UY runs from April 1 through March 31 of the following calendar year. Since the 2013 April UY runs from April 1, 2013 through March 31, 2014, we are currently IN the 2013 UY.

You got nothing special at all. All you got was the points you bought.

If your DVC timeshare salesman told you that you got something special, he/she was intentionally misleading you.

They may also tell you that you got a "deal" because you are only paying the annual dues from your closing until the end of calendar 2013, but your points can be used through the end of March 2014. Again -- intentionally misleading statement.

Annual dues have nothing to do with UY; they cover the operation of your home resort (and common services like MS) for the calendar year -- Jan 1 - Dec 31. You are not getting a deal by the prorating of the dues -- you are just paying the dues you owe.

Quote:
You obviously know about the resale market.

With AKV (if that's the home resort you want), you can save a ton of money buying resale. The process will take a little longer than buying direct, but if you're paying 50-60% of what you would pay direct, it's probably worth the wait.

You have ten days, under Florida real estate law, to rescind (cancel) the purchase and get all your money back without question. My suggestion is that you thoroughly research DVC for the next week and make your decision as an educated consumer. If you can't finish your research in a week, cancel your purchase and finish your research. You have absolutely nothing to lose by following that strategy, and maybe a LOT to gain.

In particular, research the points costs of all those wonderful "Collections" options. In most cases, I think you'll find those options are cost-prohibitive and therefore something you wouldn't really use anyway.
JimMIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
GiantsNiners11
DVC Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMIA View Post
Nothing was backdated, and you got nothing special.

An April UY runs from April 1 through March 31 of the following calendar year. Since the 2013 April UY runs from April 1, 2013 through March 31, 2014, we are currently IN the 2013 UY.

You got nothing special at all. All you got was the points you bought.

If your DVC timeshare salesman told you that you got something special, he/she was intentionally misleading you.

They may also tell you that you got a "deal" because you are only paying the annual dues from your closing until the end of calendar 2013, but your points can be used through the end of March 2014. Again -- intentionally misleading statement.

Annual dues have nothing to do with UY; they cover the operation of your home resort (and common services like MS) for the calendar year -- Jan 1 - Dec 31. You are not getting a deal by the prorating of the dues -- you are just paying the dues you owe.

You obviously know about the resale market.

With AKV (if that's the home resort you want), you can save a ton of money buying resale. The process will take a little longer than buying direct, but if you're paying 50-60% of what you would pay direct, it's probably worth the wait.

You have ten days, under Florida real estate law, to rescind (cancel) the purchase and get all your money back without question. My suggestion is that you thoroughly research DVC for the next week and make your decision as an educated consumer. If you can't finish your research in a week, cancel your purchase and finish your research. You have absolutely nothing to lose by following that strategy, and maybe a LOT to gain.

In particular, research the points costs of all those wonderful "Collections" options. In most cases, I think you'll find those options are cost-prohibitive and therefore something you wouldn't really use anyway.
OP didn't ask about this, but I agree. Rescind and buy resale especially at AKV!

You can more than DOUBLE the points for the same price.

We just got a 250 contract at AKV that was loaded with 500 points with no MF's at all (that's REAL FREE points, not salesmen talk). It was $67 per point....nearly $80 per point CHEAPER than retail. That's a savings of $20,000!!! Giving up the collection is not a huge loss imho since they are just a terrible way to burn points at WDW anyway.

If we rent out all the 2012/2013 FREE Points, it brings our per point cost to $41 per point with all points coming in 2014 UY just a few months away. Compare $41 per point to $140+ per point. No brainer.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #9
blessed2BaMama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsNiners11 View Post
OP didn't ask about this, but I agree. Rescind and buy resale especially at AKV!

No brainer.
I agree with this completely!! A loaded contract is worth so much more the "extras" from buying direct (in my opinion)!!
blessed2BaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
DisK
Mouseketeer

I disagree. It's the OP's money, let him/her spend it where he/she wants. Maybe they trust Disney more. Maybe they felt more comfortable dealing with them. There could be a number of reasons to deal directly with Disney. If we (my fiance and I) were that worried about money, we would have looked at a resale. Instead, we knew, regardless of where we bought, that our first contract was going to be direct. The added perk was that the VGF just opened.

DVC Members at The Villa's at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort - October 2013!

Disney Trips - 24
DisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
disneydad33
Earning My Ears

I appreciate everyone's feedback!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Msmithmd
DIS Veteran

Funny thing. When people buy direct OR resale and don't tell anyone about it, no one comments. When they come on a public forum whose sole purpose is discussing purchasing DVC and post their decision, people do comment, and offer their opinions.

And yet some other people take umbrage that opinions would be offered. In an opinion public board forum. Always makes me laugh...

To the original poster, if you bought VGF, direct was the obvious correct decision currently. But for a buyer wanting AKV or any other resort, they're throwing money away IMO if they don't buy resale in MOST cases.

And after all, the point of a site like disboards is for people to post their opinions, right??? It would be silly for a person to post here if they didn't want public input, right???

Or am I missing something?
Msmithmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If one plans to buy resale and retail both, it's generally far better to buy resale first so you can then add the same UY retail fairly easily.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
We own two UY's and at first, I wasn't going to go that route because I started that way and it didn't seem like a good idea.

However, when we added on more points, I realized that as long as I was buying enough to function as it's own membership, having two is not quite as big of a deal as I thought.

Is it confusing some times? Yes, and I have to think about which points can be used for which trips so that I plan things efficiently since I also have two home resorts--BLT and BWV.

My goal is to eventually get BWV points for my June UY. If you can find AKV with the same UY than its definitely easier. However, we have found that having a Dec UY along with June allows us to take our Memorial Day weekend trips without worry as we would have never started that if we only had the June UY.

With typical Fall travel, I would say that April is the farthest back in terms of UY I would buy. I think a June UY would be better as that would still cover summer, fall, and early winter trips. You'd still get 2013 UY points--as mentioned, you get those buying direct because you are entitled to current UY points--which could then be banked for next year.

Remember, UY has nothing to do when you book and you don't have to wait until your UY begins to have access to points. It is all based on time of travel so this November, you could book a October 2014 trip and be able to use banked 2013, 2014 and borrow from your 2015 UY to cover that trip.

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
nkosiek
Mouseketeer

OP, you mentioned you were thinking of VGF instead. If that's where you truly want to be, why not just go that route? I'm assuming it's the discount per point on AKV but is that discount worth it when you state that you'll really want to stay at VGF and you may not be able to get in at the 7 month mark?

Forget reconsidering for resale or UY, but perhaps reconsider based on this fact. Heck, if UY is a deal, when deciding on VGF you can tell them you really would prefer some other month.
nkosiek is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: