Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Kristin3021
Mouseketeer

POR or POFQ?

Family of 8 going to WDW in April. We got the spd at POR, but I'm wondering if we should switch to POFQ? I stayed at POR years ago, but don't really remember it lol. Any opinions appreciated. There's 6 adults and 2 young children.
Kristin3021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Katd52
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POR last September and then POFQ in February(big group of 12) and I much preferred FQ. It was so quaint, quiet, and small. Everyone thought it was awesome. We all vowed never to stay anywhere else POR is just too big IMO. The walk to the Food Court was annoying. We never went to go refill our mugs etc because it was almost a 30 min roundtrip walk! At FQ everything was never too far away. I thought it would seem too boring for my kids but they all loved it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

POFQ would be my vote.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
dansdad
DIS Veteran

They are both great resorts and it depends on which theme you like better. We happen to prefer POR slightly over POFQ. POFQ is much smaller but we prefer the food court at POR. POR also has a TS restaurant if that's important to you. Our DS prefers the pool/slide at POR. POR is larger, but the furthest room in only about a 6-7 minute walk to the food court. We prefer quieter areas so we always request to be put in the back of POR and the walk is nothing plus it's beautiful.

I suggest checking out portorleans.org for details and pictures of both.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
SGMCO
Vintage Style is Sweet--Rumbleseat Fashions

I've stayed at both and prefer POR. I really loved the Mansions. While staying at FQ walked over to POR several times to eat at the Food court which is soooo much better. So if you decide to stay at FQ, try to get the closest building located next to POR so it won't be so far to walk. FQ only has one Bus stop and when the resorts busses are combined it was hard to get off the bus when stop was 1st at FQ, people didn't want to move so that you could get off. When going to the Parks,Since there was only 1 stop you had to get in line to make it on a bus before it was filled, had to wait for next bus. Never had a problem with POR busses, was able to catch the bus next to our building, didn't have to walk very far and never had to catch the next bus. Also was let off the bus next to our building, so was not far to walk, stayed in mansions area.

Last edited by SGMCO; 10-10-2013 at 09:20 AM.
SGMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Kristin3021
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMCO View Post
I've stayed at both and prefer POR. I really loved the Mansions. While staying at FQ walked over to POR several times to eat at the Food court which is soooo much better. So if you decide to stay at FQ, try to get the closest building located next to POR so it won't be so far to walk. FQ only has one Bus stop and when the resorts busses are combined it was hard to get off the bus when stop was 1st at FQ, people didn't want to move so that you could get off. When going to the Parks,Since there was only 1 stop you had to get in line to make it on a bus before it was filled, had to wait for next bus. Never had a problem with POR busses, was able to catch the bus next to our building, didn't have to walk very far and never had to catch the next bus. Also was let off the bus next to our building, so was not far to walk, stayed in mansions area.
We requested to stay in the mansions. Will 2 kids under 4 and 2 strollers we hoped to have an elevator lol. I was wondering about only having one bus stop how it would affect getting a bus
Old 10-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Kristin3021
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
They are both great resorts and it depends on which theme you like better. . I suggest checking out portorleans.org for details and pictures of both.
That's a great idea, I'll do that. Thx
Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Kristin3021
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katd52 View Post
We stayed at POR last September and then POFQ in February(big group of 12) and I much preferred FQ. I thought it would seem too boring for my kids but they all loved it.
I was wondering if they'd like POR better......good to know kids like it too!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

Quote:
The walk to the Food Court was annoying. We never went to go refill our mugs etc because it was almost a 30 min roundtrip walk!
Almost a 30-minute walk? Hmmmm.....

I've stayed at POR 3 times (most recent was in September) and this last time we were in the third Mansions building (Magnolia) and by using the bridge over to Ol' Man Island it was a 5-minute walk, if that, to the food court so maybe a 10 minute "round trip." Even if we would have been in the furthest building I don't see how it could be as long of a walk as you say, unless you are very s-l-o-w walkers.

Have never stayed at the French Quarter, even though I keep saying we should try it. We just like Riverside so much, hate to try anything else and be unhappy.

The landscaping is so beautiful, it has a great food court, love the boat to Downtown Disney, and we love having more than one bus stop to choose from. In the Magnolia building the East stop is closer than the main (South) stop.

We're planning another trip (January 2015) and again planning to stay at POR.
MIGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

We had our first stay at POFQ in August and can't wait to go back! We did walk over to POR and enjoyed their pool as well. That's the great thing--food, pools, grounds--you can enjoy both from either side!

But hands down, we preferred the transportation at POFQ. We were there for a week and only once did we have to do the pick-up sweep with POR. Otherwise, the bus always left from FQ and headed to the park. This was all times of day, too. On returns, I know there were several times when the bus was continuing on to POR but we were always the first stop off.

The one time we did the pick-up swing through POR, I decided that was enough for me! I can't imagine getting on the first stop at POR and having to do three more stops before you leave for the parks---every time! Or having FQ plus 2-3 stops at POR before you can get off the bus. Let me on, let me off, and I'm good to go!

Also, after staying at such a small, everything-is-so-close resort like FQ, the walks around POR do seem extra long.

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Katd52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma View Post

I've stayed at POR 3 times (most recent was in September) and this last time we were in the third Mansions building (Magnolia) and by using the bridge over to Ol' Man Island it was a 5-minute walk, if that, to the food court so maybe a 10 minute "round trip." Even if we would have been in the furthest building I don't see how it could be as long of a walk as you say, unless you are very s-l-o-w walkers.
Okay, Maybe 30 minutes RT is a bit of an exaggeration But it was definitely longer than 10 minutes rt. I'm actually a VERY fast walker but, my children are not. Granted, we were in one of the furthest buildings in Alligator Bayou. I believe all of the Mansions are closer. Not once did we just make the stroll to refill our mugs. It just wasn't worth it. We all loved POR but as I said the walk was a PITA. The only reason I wouldn't stay there again is that.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGrandma View Post

Have never stayed at the French Quarter, even though I keep saying we should try it. We just like Riverside so much, hate to try anything else and be unhappy.

The landscaping is so beautiful, it has a great food court, love the boat to Downtown Disney, and we love having more than one bus stop to choose from. In the Magnolia building the East stop is closer than the main (South) stop.

We're planning another trip (January 2015) and again planning to stay at POR.
Thank you for this, one of my absolute pet peeves is that people constantly overstate the length of walks at resorts. Though POR is bigger then FQ there are still many rooms closer to the main buildings than rooms at FQ. Likewise while FQ is smaller, it is much more crowded and stacking 3 stories of rooms instead of two at POR, more people in a smaller space proportionately.

We would choose POR over FQ though both are great resorts.

We like the grounds of POR much more as well as the outdoor themeing. The pool (pools) and food options at POR are considerably better at POR. Usually.you also get a much bigger discount at POR than at FQ.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We stayed at POR last September and then POFQ in February(big group of 12) and I much preferred FQ. It was so quaint, quiet, and small. Everyone thought it was awesome. We all vowed never to stay anywhere else POR is just too big IMO. The walk to the Food Court was annoying. We never went to go refill our mugs etc because it was almost a 30 min roundtrip walk! At FQ everything was never too far away. I thought it would seem too boring for my kids but they all loved it.
You guys must walk slow. I've stayed in the back 40 - nearly the very last room in the very last building in AB at POR and the walk was only about 10 minutes to the Food Court for me once I figured out how to get there - I did get lost my first time. LOL.

I love POR much better than POFQ so I would stay there, OP. I reaffirmed that on my September trip when I stayed at POFQ.

That food court drove me nuts as did the big crowds at the one and only bus stop at POFQ.
I was very thankful I had a rental car because after experiencing that bus stop at POFQ once, I drove - even to the TTC to go to MK.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #14
kydisneyfans
It may be because they are too embarassed to show it in public

Just got back today from POFQ. This is my favorite Disney resort of the 8 we have stayed at.

I went to the PORR food court based on everyone's thoughts, and really was disappointed. I liked the POFQ food court better.

The bus service left a bit to be desired, and loved the boat to DT Disney.

The big advantage of POFQ is that everything is very close.
kydisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydisneyfans View Post
Just got back today from POFQ. This is my favorite Disney resort of the 8 we have stayed at.

I went to the PORR food court based on everyone's thoughts, and really was disappointed. I liked the POFQ food court better.

The bus service left a bit to be desired, and loved the boat to DT Disney.

The big advantage of POFQ is that everything is very close.
OK, I would REALLY like to know what you were disappointed about ?

Because the POR foodcourt offers, more selection, a greater seating section, and generally better all around service to the POFQ.

Did something go wrong ???

Let us know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: