Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Tipping for low-occupancy rooms

What do people think about tipping for single-occupancy staterooms? I know what the official Disney guidance is (i.e. just the standard per-person tip amounts), but what do you think?

I figure that the three dining room people should be considered no differently by solo travelers: they have a certain number of seats in their area. If you're seated at a 4-top, there's no difference in tipping if it's a family of 4 or 4 separate solo travelers.

But the stateroom host is different. If a newer ship is at full passenger capacity, there is an average of 3.2 guests per stateroom. So, a single traveler generates less than 1/3 of the auto-tip that an "average" one does. Now, shipwide, it all balances out, but there's no guarantee that the offsetting rooms that are packed are handled by the same stateroom host. It's worse on a sailing that is not at full total occupancy, as there may be no offsetting high-occupancy room.

I figure that a room that has a single occupant is a bit less work to clean than one with 3 or 4, but not by much, and certainly not proportionally so. That being the case, is it reasonable to think that it might be nice to offer a substantial extra tip to the stateroom host, just to bring things back in line to their normal tip for cleaning the room? Such as perhaps double just as a start for standard service?

Taken to the extreme, what about the Royal on a classic ship that sleeps 7 being occupied by only two people?
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDry View Post
What do people think about tipping for single-occupancy staterooms? I know what the official Disney guidance is (i.e. just the standard per-person tip amounts), but what do you think?

I figure that the three dining room people should be considered no differently by solo travelers: they have a certain number of seats in their area. If you're seated at a 4-top, there's no difference in tipping if it's a family of 4 or 4 separate solo travelers.

But the stateroom host is different. If a newer ship is at full passenger capacity, there is an average of 3.2 guests per stateroom. So, a single traveler generates less than 1/3 of the auto-tip that an "average" one does. Now, shipwide, it all balances out, but there's no guarantee that the offsetting rooms that are packed are handled by the same stateroom host. It's worse on a sailing that is not at full total occupancy, as there may be no offsetting high-occupancy room.

I figure that a room that has a single occupant is a bit less work to clean than one with 3 or 4, but not by much, and certainly not proportionally so. That being the case, is it reasonable to think that it might be nice to offer a substantial extra tip to the stateroom host, just to bring things back in line to their normal tip for cleaning the room? Such as perhaps double just as a start for standard service?

Taken to the extreme, what about the Royal on a classic ship that sleeps 7 being occupied by only two people?
The tips are based on "per guest". I don't think it would be right to expect a single cruiser to tip for 2 people, just because there is only one person in the room.

That being said, we've always tipped additionally to the suggested gratuity. In the long run, I think it probably comes out pretty even.

On our Hawaii cruise our dining rotation had no late seating, due to the lesser numbers onboard. Do you think we should have tipped more because of it?

In the world of tipping, there are no guarantees, sometimes you get the big party (who may or may not tip - either at all or additionally) or you get the single cruiser (who may or may not tip - or tip extra generously).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
jimsubry
Mouseketeer

I'm sure extra tips are always appreciated, but don't know how many people would want this to become an expected standard. To them, they're already paying 200% for traveling alone, most would cringe to pay double tips as well.

On the flip side, let's say a room has a couple parents and 3 kids. Are they really expected to pay their tips per person? Whew, that's a lot. "Per person per day" really adds up, we sure thought so for a 7 day cruise and only 3 of us in the room!

So anyway, perhaps those 5 people rooms balance out the 1 person rooms, tip wise.
jimsubry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsubry View Post
I'm sure extra tips are always appreciated, but don't know how many people would want this to become an expected standard. To them, they're already paying 200% for traveling alone, most would cringe to pay double tips as well.

On the flip side, let's say a room has a couple parents and 3 kids. Are they really expected to pay their tips per person? Whew, that's a lot. "Per person per day" really adds up, we sure thought so for a 7 day cruise and only 3 of us in the room!

So anyway, perhaps those 5 people rooms balance out the 1 person rooms, tip wise.
Yes, the suggested gratuities are "per person". Regardless of age.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsubry View Post

I wouldn't expect a single cruiser to tip for two people either. However, a family of 5 should definitely tip for 5 people. The tip is part of the cost of the trip, and three kids would definitely create more work for both a room host and a serving team. We are a family of 4 and would never think of not tipping for all of us. If you break down the MDR tipping, you are paying a lot less than you would for three meals at WDW if you tip the standard 15-20%. It is a deal if you consider what the meal would cost there.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

On the three cruises I've been on tipped the stated amount for one person. On the third cruise I did up the mount I tipped as did some other people at the tables i was at for dinner. I was in a group where a couple of people decided they didn't want to tip the full amount and cut the amount they prepaid. So everyone else in the group we all decided to tip more even someone who wasn't at every meal tipped more then the full amount.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You raise a good point. I think people that have a single occupancy room should tip more than the minimum. To me its a matter of fairness. My should the stateroom host get gypped?

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
You raise a good point. I think people that have a single occupancy room should tip more than the minimum. To me its a matter of fairness. My should the stateroom host get gypped?

Mike
They aren't getting gypped they still get a per person amount. Asking a solo traveler to tip more just because you don't think it's fair is just rude.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
Old 10-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Tell me, OP, are you a solo cruiser? Over the years, the extra I have to pay to cruise solo has gone up from 150% of the per person rate to 200%. That's unfair enough. Now you want to penalize us for traveling solo by wanting us to pay double tips, too? How about charging us double for drinks because they're losing out on the alcohol income from the second person, too! I agree with the PP that that's just rude! Tips are *not* per cabin, it's per person. Period.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Tell me, OP, are you a solo cruiser? Over the years, the extra I have to pay to cruise solo has gone up from 150% of the per person rate to 200%. That's unfair enough. Now you want to penalize us for traveling solo by wanting us to pay double tips, too? How about charging us double for drinks because they're losing out on the alcohol income from the second person, too! I agree with the PP that that's just rude! Tips are *not* per cabin, it's per person. Period.

Sayhello
Amen!

Jill in CO
Old 10-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sayhello
I'll second that.

- Walt Disney
Old 10-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

DCL isn't losing any money on the solo cruisers because they don't count that double occupancy as two people when filling the lifeboats. IMO if DCL is concerned about its CMs not getting that extra $12 or so per guest, they can pay it out of the inflated room rate solos have to pay. No I don't cruise solo, but I find the cost with extra tipping outrageous.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
SuperDry
Mouseketeer

Wow, there sure are a lot of people with their panties in a wad.

Quote:
Over the years, the extra I have to pay to cruise solo has gone up from 150% of the per person rate to 200%. That's unfair enough.
No doubt about it.

Quote:
Now you want to penalize us for traveling solo by wanting us to pay double tips, too?
I'm not talking about penalizing the traveler. I'm trying to be considerate of the stateroom hosts. I'm fortunate to be able to go on a Disney cruise whenever I want. They on the other hand seem to almost universally come from poor parts of the world, work 7 days a week with no time off for 5 months straight, and are away from their families and probably send as much as they can back home to support them. Me booking a single room in their section may have a meaningful affect on their personal income that week, and it's not even being traded for much less work.

Quote:
How about charging us double for drinks because they're losing out on the alcohol income from the second person, too!
The "they" you keep referring to, in the single supplement and alcohol income above, is Disney. I'm not at all concerned about what Disney is making from the solo traveler - as you point out, they're already charging double.

Quote:
I agree with the PP that that's just rude!
I'm rude? What about the people such as yourself that apparently have no regard for the service staff?

Quote:
Tips are *not* per cabin, it's per person. Period.
I fully understand how the suggested tip system works. There have been many reports here of people tipping more than the suggested amount for a wide variety of reasons, but I've not seen other people that suggest it being labeled as "rude." You might want to look in the mirror when it comes to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
DCL isn't losing any money on the solo cruisers because they don't count that double occupancy as two people when filling the lifeboats.
To repeat what I said before, my concern isn't at all about DCL losing money. You do realize that I'm talking only about tips, right? And that the tips go 100% to the service people, right? And that almost all their pay is based on the tips, right?

As a point of order: whether DCL is out any money from solo travelers depends on if and how they fill the boat: if they fill the boat by selling all cabins but are under occupancy, then yes they would lose fare revenue unless they charged the 200% single supplement. In all other cases (full boat anyway due to occupancy, or unsold cabins and not at occupancy) then the single supplement is just extra revenue. But once again, I'm not concerned about DCL in my OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jey12
If you go out to eat by yourself do you tip double?
No, I don't. I made it very clear in the OP that I was NOT referring to dining, on the ship or elsewhere.
SuperDry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Wow, there sure are a lot of people with their panties in a wad.

I'm rude? What about the people such as yourself that apparently have no regard for the service staff
Actually, no one seems to have their panties in a wad. We just stated our feelings on the subject. And to suggest that because people feel this way about not tipping double somehow equates to not caring at all about the service staff is pretty presumptuous and narrow minded. that is a pretty broad blanket to throw on people and makes you sound like your opinion is the only correct one.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I was alone in my cabin on the Wonder in March. I tipped the recommended amount for one person and added cash to each envelope. I didn't give extra because I was alone in the cabin, but rather because the service was excellent.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: