Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
mom2AidanAndEli
DIS Veteran

Why Spend $$$ on a Deluxe?

I know I'm entering delicate territory here, but when I look at the prices of the different resorts, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would pay $300-$500 or more a night for some resorts!

I'll preface by saying that I'm a budget-conscious mom---or you may even say cheap. I shop sales and discounts, cut coupons, and watch what I spend. That being said, we have been to Disney four times in seven years, so we're not against spending money on vacations!

We've always stayed at a Value resort until the last time when we stayed at POFQ and loved it! We'll go back there in a heartbeat.

So I spend less than $200 at POFQ for a lovely room, great service, fun pool, beautiful grounds, etc. Or I could spend $400 and stay at a Deluxe. Why????

Some of the arguments I've heard are....

Indoor corridors -- does that really matter?

Better transportation -- never had an issue with buses at any of the resorts we've stayed. And we've never had a car.

Nicer rooms -- thought POFQ room was lovely!

Closer proximity to MK -- when we go we visit all the parks, so don't care if we're closer to one. Again, never an issue with transportation.

Beautiful lobby/grounds/views/etc. -- Can get all that just by visiting!

I guess if we were going to spend our whole vacation hanging out at the resort, we might be more worried about it. But we're there to visit the parks! Yes, we'll take breaks, swim in the pool, eat in the food court. But our rooms are basically places to sleep, shower, dress, and go.

Unless money really were no object at all--which I can't imagine is the case for the vast majority of families--I can't justify spending the ridiculous amounts of money on the resorts. For that price, they should be throwing in breakfast (and lunch and dinner!) and providing me a private driver to get me where I want to go! Not to mention laundry services and a turn-down each night!

So let me hear it! How do you justify spending that kind of money on a room? Do you spend all your time there? Is it just to say "been there, done that'? Is the difference really worth twice the cost?

I'm honestly curious about this...

POP-2007, ASMo-2010, ASSp-2011, POFQ-2013, POFQ-August 2014!!!!
mom2AidanAndEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
ain0004
Mouseketeer

I can't give you a great argument. We bought into dvc and will never go back. We love the 1 or 2 bedroom. We love having a full kitchen, laundry right there. Everyone has their own space. It comes down to preference. Would I stay at POR to of to WDW? Yes because I love wdw. Do what you feel most comfortable with and what you can afford.
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
cheesemouse
DIS Veteran

Well for us it's because we are a family of 5 and for families over 4 people, the options are limited. Yes, we could do an AoA family suite and probably will at some point. But honestly, the price of those is not much less than a garden wing room at CR. Sure, I could get a room for 5 at POR Alligator Bayou but man that would be tight. I have considered it several times but think we would be too squished with strollers, luggage, etc. If we were just a family of 4 I doubt we'd go deluxe that often. Options are families over 4 are just so limited and the ones available come at a pretty hefty price tag unfortunately.
cheesemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
rajahfan7
Earning My Ears

I'll start off by saying I am a snob, I like what I like and that's IT!

I stayed in mods when I was a kid with my parents. Now I'm the one paying for the trips (my parents, dd, & I) so now it's more about space. 3 adults in a small room can be rough (getting 2 rooms this time around!) and having that bit of extra space helps.

My TA also told me not all resorts have queen size beds (a must for my folks) so that makes our choices a little slimmer. The distance to the parks are nice. I stayed at AKL and it was AMAZING. I didn't care how far away from the other parks I was. After staying at WL in Feb I also REALLY appreciate that 5 min boat ride to MK.

This time I'm trying 2 royal rooms at POR, but that may change to WL. I keep telling myself I don't need to stay deluxe because it cost so dang much!

rajahfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
jaceraden
DIS Veteran

Try Deluxe once and you'll get it.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
mevelandry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaceraden View Post
Try Deluxe once and you'll get it.
I've been Deluxe twice (Polynesian and AKL) and I will go in a value in 20 days, and I will go to a Disney moderate (been moderate once in POFQ) for a split stay --first part of trip being a deluxe in Universal this time-- in april 2014.

Now that I know how it feels, IMO, it's only worth it when you actually spend the whole day there. Therefore, I'll go back to Deluxe in the end of split stays only.

Last edited by mevelandry; 10-06-2013 at 09:37 AM.
mevelandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We love the Deluxes but very rarely find them worth the cost. If I can rent points at a DVC resort that's usually the best option for us. However, I have to take into consideration how often I want to go. There was a point we were going twice a year. There was no way to do that and stay deluxe every time so it was an easy decision to go more often and stay at the mods. And we LOVE the mods. I don't feel like I am giving anything up to stay at the mods.. we truly enjoy them.
You'll never find me paying rack rate for a deluxe. Everyone has their own bottom line and budget, and rack rate hits mine. It wouldn't matter what I had in the vacation budget.. rack rate is so ridiculous it makes me chuckle. $500 or more a night for the Poly? Not for this family. We've stayed in some beautiful and truly 5 star hotels that didn't charge that much so I can't justify the inflated rates at Disney.

That being said, with a discount, or going the DVC route, the deluxes become a much better deal. If I can get what I consider to be a decent price we love staying in them.
Luckily, there are great options for most budgets.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
BudgieMama
DIS Veteran

We looked at POFQ and were all set to book there... but wanted to upgrade from QSDP to the regular DP. That would have cost us £240.

For an extra £200, we could book for SSR, which would automatically upgrade our DP. For us, it worked out cheaper to upgrade.

We also preferred the look of SSR, and read the reviews, which were on the whole very positive. We'd not heard of DVC at the time, so I now understand why the resort is quieter and the studio room the basic option. We're travelling as two adults, so ruled out value as they were very child themed, and wanted somewhere nice and grown up!

Lifelong Dream: PTR Report *** http://longsdisneytrip.blogspot.co.uk/
BudgieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I stay in all categories of resort, but the deluxe resorts are my favorite. People spend their money the way they want and if they can afford it, then no one else should care.

I shake my head at people I know who buy packs of cigarettes each day or go out drinking every weekend. Or spend hundreds of dollars on a designer purse or pair of shoes. But really, I shouldn't do that either..it's not my business.

I'll be at AoA this December because my sister wants to try a LM room. But, I would have loved to do WL at Christmastime. At the end of the day though, I'll be at WDW..that's what matters.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Well there were a few reasons we went deluxe on our last trip. First , we were 6 people although we counted as 5 plus an infant. So unless we were doing two rooms or a family suite values were out for us and that left POR or cabins for mods. I thought POR looked beautiful but I wasn't sure about squeezing 6 people plus 2 pack and plays in the room. And I stayed POFQ once and shared buses with POR and that trip the buses were not a good experience.

We ended up booking BC mainly for location. It seemed like it would be much easier to take breaks for naptime especially at Epcot and HS where we could just walk back to the resort vs folding up the big double stroller carryinG all our stuff and bringing the three little ones on the bus. I strongly prefer the boat or walking or even monorail over buses with little ones and double strollers.

Being on the Boardwalk was fabulous too. To be able to walk out of our resort and over to see the nighttime entertainment or head to the bakery, candy/ice cream shop or various restaurants was great. Much nicer than being stuck with only one QS. The nicer pool really doesn't matter to me because we don't really swim. But the extra TS options at the resorts I like.

We also splurged and stayed club level and that was really priceless. The use of the lounge which was right outside our room, was fabulous. We had breakfast there and got drinks to bring to the park. Stopped in on the way to and from naps for snacks and more drinks. Made dinner out of the evening appetizers one night to save some time. Desserts and hot cocoa in the evening. And it was a nice quiet place for me to wind down at night after the kids were asleep.

We won't likely do deluxe again for a while and my next trip with just my 5 year old we are staying value for the first time. But it was well worth every penny to me to stay deluxe.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
tiger4me2
DIS Veteran

I guess it really up to the person or family. If you don't like spending the money for the deluxe's you book what you are comfortable with.

With that said all of our early married life and it is going on 45 years now. We had to stay in moderate or even cheap hotels if we could even afford a vacation. And we didn't start staying on property until 1995. Before that we came to Disney once when DH was on a business trip at Cape Kennedy, my son & I went with him. His hotel was paid by his company for the week we were there. He got a allowance for his meals & it was enough for the three of us. After the trip was over we drove up to Disney World and stayed a cheap hotel ( it was really lousy) but we had to pay for this. Did Disney for two days & Sea World for one day. My flight along with my son we had to pay out of pocket. My DH's company let him change his flight to leave when we did. So that was nice of them. Went one more time but stayed at a notch up than first one but still hurt us money wise.

In 1995 we decided after all these years of saving & cutting corners we would stay at the hotels we wanted to. I really don't care what people say about where we stay at. it is our hard earned money and you can't take it you.

And when it come to a time that we can't afford to stay on site we will stay off site if our health is good.

Each to their own..I never knock anyone for staying where they do as it is their business. MHO
tiger4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Why go to WDW instead of camping upstate?

Why go to a fancy restuarant instead of McDonalds?

Why own a car instead of taking public transportation?

Because these are the choices we make.

We're a family of 5. A regular room at a Value or Mod won't accomodate us. (Nope, not even the Murphy Bed rooms at POR-- my son is too tall for the Murphy Bed.)

But, more than that, we go Deluxe because we enjoy it. Because we typically save for a few years between WDW trips, and we choose to spend that money on the amenities offered by the Deluxe resorts. We love the park access-- we can WALK to two parks from the Beach Club. We love the pools-- my kids are total water rats and StormAlong Bay is Nirvana. We love the Deluxe feel. We love the theming.

That said, we have never yet paid rack rate. In 2008 we got a 40% PIN. In 2009 it was 4/3. Last year it was a 30% PIN. If we don't get a deal of some sort for next summer, it's entirely possible that we'll use the Teacher Discount to get a Deluxe Alcove room at the Dolphin.

But to answer your question: Why?? Because that's the choice some choose to make. No "arguments" needed. It's how we choose to spend our money. No reason to "justify" it to anyone at all.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
DaisyD
Nothing like crunchy milk in the morning!
Guess I'll be checking my swords with the luggage
I am a closet Ragamuffin eater!

I used to wonder why people stayed in the Deluxes too until I tried one. Now I'll never go back. We used to spend most of our time in the parks but one trip we booked the Wilderness Lodge. Wow, who cares about the parks! LOL We loved the pool, the things to do and see at the resort. We didn't even want to be at the parks. Since then we only stay deluxe with the Poly being our favorite. We do go to a park every day for maybe 5-6 hours if that but thats it. We are either in the pool most day time and head to the parks after lunch or closer to dinner.
DaisyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Leighbra
Luckier than she deserves

Once I started getting put up in nicer ($350-700 a night!) hotel rooms for work or from sweepstakes wins, I realized what I was missing out on.

I was totally happy in my Best Western/La Quinta rooms.

I guess I just didn't know. I definitely see how people get used to it.

NOW I know what I'm missing & still can't afford/justify staying in a $400/night room. haha That's the worst of both worlds.
Leighbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #15
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

We had never stayed in a Mod or Value resort when we did a quick overnight ..when we walked into our Preferred Room at All Star Sports, DD announced "MOM!!! This is the Walmart of Disney Hotels!!!"

i created a monster!

But, my biggest reason when she was growing up was that it was just her and I and I liked the inside hallways..it made it easier to get around the resort.

Now...we are just spoiled. I work to Dis!
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: