Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

Sea sickness with a baby?

Last time we cruised (Pacific Coast cruise on the Wonder, September 2011), I got a little sick. OK, a little more than a little. I tried to fake it for most of the cruise and make the best of it, but on certain days, I was pretty miserable... to the point where I had to miss our character breakfast. So this time, I'm going to be taking Bonine and Sea Bands. I've never had motion sickness before - ever. So it was a shock to me when I got sick.

So now on to the real reason I am writing this thread: My 16 month old daughter. She has been on boats before and has never shown any signs of motion sickness, but again, neither did I until our cruise 2 years ago, and haven't since. So I want to be prepared should she get sick. What sorts of precautions can I take for her?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makayna View Post
Last time we cruised (Pacific Coast cruise on the Wonder, September 2011), I got a little sick. OK, a little more than a little. I tried to fake it for most of the cruise and make the best of it, but on certain days, I was pretty miserable... to the point where I had to miss our character breakfast. So this time, I'm going to be taking Bonine and Sea Bands. I've never had motion sickness before - ever. So it was a shock to me when I got sick.

So now on to the real reason I am writing this thread: My 16 month old daughter. She has been on boats before and has never shown any signs of motion sickness, but again, neither did I until our cruise 2 years ago, and haven't since. So I want to be prepared should she get sick. What sorts of precautions can I take for her?
At that age, I'd be talking to the pediatrician and asking what kinds of things you can do.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

I second the talk with a Pediatrician before you go. But I think you are right to think ahead.
Gracefulskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Makayna
Something brought you here, Flynn Rider. Call it what you will... fate... destiny........ A horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
At that age, I'd be talking to the pediatrician and asking what kinds of things you can do.
Good idea! I have a call into my pediatrician's nurse to call us back with some advice. But I'd love to hear people's experiences with an infant/toddler under 2 as well.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
Cptnkirky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
Our ped recommended Benedryl for our DD. Anti nausea medications are basically antihistamines.
We got the same response from our pediatrician a few weeks ago, Benadryl only. My DD is 12 months, if that helps.

Cast Member 2003-2009
BCV May 2014
AoA/DCLF Oct 2013
ASM/SSR June 2012
PQRS Aug 2011
VWL May 2010
SSR Sept 2009
POR June 2009
AKL May 2009
SSR Aug 2008
VBR March 2008
CSR Feb 2007
and many more.... CBR, POFQ, etc, etc, etc...
Cptnkirky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
jimsubry
Mouseketeer

I think the young ones are a bit hardier than us older folks anyway. Babies are always rocking in or swinging on something, kids love rides that spin you around like crazy, etc. and it just doesn't seem to affect them! I remember being like this when I was a kid, but ugh, get me on a swing nowadays or spin me around a couple times and I get nauseous!
jimsubry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
porkchop04
Earning My Ears

My kids pediatrician said we should be more worried about the adults than the kids. She said no sea sickness medicine is approved for kids so don't use it. Look into pure essential oils or ginger suckers- like the ones for pregnancy morning sickness.
porkchop04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
Makayna

I got the same response from my ped - children's Benadryl if needed. We're going to bring some along, but I don't anticipate a problem. Thanks for the suggestions and experiences everyone!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Mydisneywedding
Making my dreams come true

Hi, I am traveling on the 20th of Oct. in the Dream and I recently asked my pediatrician about what to take if my 22 month old got sea sick. She said to take ginger flavored candies. Whole foods sells ginger lollipops. she said the ginger would settle his stomach and will help with nausea.
Mydisneywedding is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: