Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
jacobmh
Earning My Ears

POR or rent points for AKV 1BR?

Am constantly planning our second trip. We stayed at FQ last visit, and am torn between preferred room at POR (for the better food) and renting points for a 1br at akl... There are 4 of us, the wife and I, and two kids 5 & 8. The money difference is only around $300 for 6 nights which is making it even more difficult.

Any thoughts?
jacobmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Having stayed at both..
AKL hands down. I love POR but for a relatively small price difference I would go with more space! Plus, AKL is a wonderful resort. We really enjoyed our stays there.
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Would definitely recommend renting points! It is so nice to have the space, the kitchen, the washer/dryer, and the balcony! We love AKV and if you do Kidani, you get 2 bathrooms...priceless!
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
cmusschoot
DIS Veteran

Akv

I have stayed at both resorts..
AKV - for sure...
Kidani Village will give you an extra bathroom there are 2 bathrooms in their 1 bdrm units), well worth it...
not to mention a kitchen AND washer/dryer!!!!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I've never stayed at AKL but its definitely nicer aesthetically than POR. POR does have one of the best food courts on property, however. We are personally not crazy about the cultural-esque food at AKL.

The only thing I am apprehensive on with renting points is that you don't receive maid service (you wouldn't at all on a six night stay), it's non refundable, and you'd have to pay up front for DDP when you add it - no deferring to your 45 day mark for payment like when you book a regular package. None of these things are huge deals but may be important factors to some.

If I could swing AKL for just $300 more than I originally planned on spending, I would do it.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
nhfd155
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
The only thing I am apprehensive on with renting points is that you don't receive maid service (you wouldn't at all on a six night stay), it's non refundable, and you'd have to pay up front for DDP when you add it - no deferring to your 45 day mark for payment like when you book a regular package.

But with DDP, you can add it just before your trip. The cutoff is 3 days before checkin I believe. We put the dining on our credit card just before leaving and don't have to pay it off until we are back from our trip.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Denise W
Boardwalk DVC Member

When you stay on points for 7 days or less you get trash and towel day on Day 4. If you stay more days you get a full cleaning on Day 4 and trash and towel day later. This is a timeshare so members are supposed to treat the villas like their homes. There is a vacuum in each unit and a washer and dryer in 1 bedrooms and up so you can always wash towels. You can also purchase a towel pack or more cleaning if you wish.

Denise
Denise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmh View Post
Am constantly planning our second trip. We stayed at FQ last visit, and am torn between preferred room at POR (for the better food) and renting points for a 1br at akl... There are 4 of us, the wife and I, and two kids 5 & 8. The money difference is only around $300 for 6 nights which is making it even more difficult.

Any thoughts?
When did you plan to go? That may be the deal breaker on renting points.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Paradise18
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both POR and AKL Kidani and Kidani wins by a landslide. The water slide at Kidani is so much fun. However, POR has the food court and you mention one reason for choosing POR over POFQ is food. There isn't a food court at Kidani and it is a hike/bus ride to get to Jambo.
Paradise18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
medicgirl177
Mouseketeer

Where so you look to "Rent Points"? I'm not sure where to begin. This is my first year with no PIN or other discount.....

medicgirl177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicgirl177 View Post
Where so you look to "Rent Points"? I'm not sure where to begin. This is my first year with no PIN or other discount.....
Go to the Rent/Trade board here under the DVC section. There is a sticky at the top that has great info for renting points. You basically either find a private DVC member (someone on the Dis or other site) or you go through a points broker, such as dvcrequest.com. The private rentals are often a bit cheaper, but some people feel they are a bit riskier. The one thing about renting DVC points is that you usually need to plan pretty far in advance, so I am not sure when your trip is, but if it's fairly soon, there may not be much availability.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
kammom18
Mouseketeer

We originally had our reservations for POR, but after researching DVC points and alternate resorts, we decided on BWV for a number of reasons. One, the additional space. We are a family of 4, DD 9 & DD6. We weren't guaranteed a room at POR with the pull down day bed, those are typically reserved for families of 5. But with a much taller than average 9 yr old and the fact that the hubby and I are used to a King size bed, the sleeping situation just seemed VERY tight. The second reason we chose a 1 br at BWV, was the full-size kitchen. We wanted to be able to eat breakfast in our hotel room. That would have been quite difficult at POR, plus we would have ended up paying for breakfast OOP. Third, the washer and dryer in the room. This helps with packing by cutting down on the amount of clothes that we need to take, saving that space for souvenirs. Plus we are headed on a Disney cruise after our land part of the vacation. The fourth reason we chose the 1BR was because it was within walking distance to 2 parks. VERY APPEALING to us! With park hopper tickets, this makes hopping that much easier.

The one and only drawback was that we no longer were able to obtain DDP for free. We had to pay OOP because DVC members don't qualify for FREE DDP. Even with that drawback, all of the reasons we chose the 1 br above, far outweighed the FREE DDP.

We leave in a little over 3 weeks, so to know whether it was all worth it, remains to be seen as of yet, but I'm thinking it is going to be just perfect!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmh View Post

Any thoughts?
When are you planning on going ? That will make a big difference in costs. Its quite possible for you to get 30% off at POR, that might increase the gap between prices considerably.

For us, the difference between a Studio Villa and a King Bed at POR with 30% off was $20. But I think the price is a good deal higher for a 1 bdrm.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
jacobmh
Earning My Ears

I am trying to convince the wife that september would be better than may for crowd reasons, and it would give us plenty of time for dvc planning... I think the kids would enjoy a week off school as well, heh.

When we stayed at FQ this year we always had great bus service to the parks... I know POR has 4 stops, but I would be nearest the main, 1st stop anyway, so no biggie there.
jacobmh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: