Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

I Wonder B2B - 10/19/2013 to 11/2/2013

Greetings all! Time for another trip report. My DW and I are going to go on the Disney Wonder 7-Night Caribbean Cruise 19-26 October out of Galveston followed by the 7-Night Bahamian Cruise from 26 October - 2 November. This will be our 3rd and 4th DCL cruises out of the Galveston Port. It will also be our first true B2B! We have taken a non-traditional B2B where we got off on ship, had a day break (WDW for NOJ) and then got on another DCL ship.

My DM and DD will be joining us on the first leg of the B2B. This is the first vacation that they have ever taken with my DW and myself. My parents, both age 70 have never taken a cruise before. After I invited them on the cruise, they asked if they could bring their BFF's with them. I thought that would be fine. The BFF' s have been on one 3-day cruise on another line before.

I was able to get MTO rates for both cruises while the others purchased VGT rooms. We are still waiting for their room numbers.

Set Up: Upon confirming they were coming with us, I obtained their Names, DOB, Address and method of payment and contacted DCL. DCL allowed me to make the reservations and linked them for us for Main Dining. The BFF's had to be placed on a wait list for MAIN dining because they did not have anymore openings. But how that works is they were linked with my DW, DM, DD and myself, so they were placed at the top of the wait list. Shortly after the reservations were made, the BFF's got moved to MAIN dining.

I requested that their rooms be located close to mine, which we got a room for both legs of the B2B. Will be nice not having to move from one room to another in-between cruises. We will see what room they assign the other members of our cruise party.

Let me backup a second. The reason we were initially going to cruise is because it will be my 50th BD on the 27th. But when i contacted my DM and DD they could not go on the 26 October - 2 November cruise, SO..... we booked the first date starting the 19th. Well that went all over the DW because we were not doing anything on my BD...... then the MTO came out. Happy Birthday to ME! B2B!

Total: 18 DCL Cruises / Total Nights on Board: 103 / Favorite Ship: Magic

2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

MAGIC - 6, WONDER - 5, DREAM - 5, FANTASY - 2

Last edited by Justacruiser; 09-19-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Everyone is going to be traveling by automobile from Oklahoma down to the Port in Galveston. DM and DD are going to travel with the BFF's because the are from the same city. They will depart sometime on the evening of the 18th and head towards Texas. My plan right now is depart Oklahoma around 1:00am and drive down. We might head down early but generally I just head out in the middle of the night and get to the port around 11am. But, this time we will mostly meet up with my parents and their friends at their hotel somewhere in Teas and they can follow us on to Galveston and the port.

The port is really easy to locate and the access to the enstrance is really simple. We will be able to pull up and hand our bags off to the porters (tip of course) and then go park the car at the terminal parking. Cost is $60 for the 7-Night cruise. There are other parking lots their that might be cheaper, but we just use the terminal parking for easy access. As soon as we park the car there is a shuttle standing by to bring us to the ship, entire process is less than 15 minutes. You must pay for the parking when you enter the parking lot.

Once back at the terminal, the terminal has opened right at 11am for our past two cruises. The terminal itself is nothing like it's counterpart at Port Canaveral. The difference is that DCL does not own their building in Galveston. Once we enter the building we hit the verfication station where you need your cruise documenation and Passport. Then you will go through the Customs and scanners. After that there are three lines formed in the large, wide opened room. They have a line for the new cruisers, Castaway Club members and then the Platinum/Concierge Line. I have tried the Platiunum line 2 times now and both times they had no one to assist. So, I may just get in the Castaway Club anyway. As long as I get the Platinum KTTW Card and the lanyard, I am good. I will ensure that the parents and BFF's get in the new cruiser line and get checked in.

After getting checked in, we nomally sit till around 11:50-12:00 to be called on board. Because we are Platinum we getting boarding number 2, which is one of our big perks as Platinum. In past cruises, our guests who were traveling with us got to board with us. Especilly at Port Galveston, things are pretty laid back. After that we will be moving towards boarding.....

2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)

Last edited by Justacruiser; 09-19-2013 at 12:09 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
ST1TCH
Eagerly anticipating our next trip to the World

I was about to post that I look forward to your trip report so I can hear some details about the Wonder, but we'll be boarding the day you get off, November 2nd

Will definitely look forward to reading when we get back :
ST1TCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

So, I will say that there are certain things I did not tell the rest of the party, like the calling of the family name upon boarding. I left that for that moment.

Here is our upcoming itinerary:

Day___Port_________________________Guest Ashore_____Guest Onboard
1_____Galveston, Texas______________--_______________3:30 p.m.
2_____At Sea______________________ --_______________--
3_____At Sea______________________ --_______________--
4_____Falmouth, Jamaica_____________7:45 a.m._________5:45 p.m.
5_____Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands*_7:30 a.m._________3:30 p.m.
6_____Cozumel, Mexico______________10:15 a.m._________3:45 p.m.
7_____At Sea______________________--________________--
8_____Galveston, Texas_____________9:30 a.m.__________3:30 p.m.
9_____At Sea______________________--________________--
10____Key West, Florida_____________11:30 a.m._________4:45 p.m.
11____Castaway Cay________________9:15 a.m.__________5:45 p.m.
12____Nassau______________________7:15 a.m.__________5:45 p.m.
13____At Sea______________________--________________--
14____At Sea______________________--________________--
15____Galveston, Texas_____________9:30 a.m.

so if I am counting right, we are going to get 8 as sea days (I am including both days in Galveston as sea days). That is alot of relaxation time. I guess the main concern of the DW is "are we going to get board?". My response has been that for the first week, we will be doing things we wouln't normally do. The parents and other couple love to play cards and board games. We might be sitting around playing or watch them play. And I know for sure I want to do our first ever tour of the ship when we get on board with the parents on the frist day.

Last edited by Justacruiser; 09-20-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Well, time for an update. We are down to 18 days before we sail. I contacted the port and found out that when I park at the Galveston Port, when I pay we will be directed to a spot located next to their main building so that they can watch our vehicle while we are gone for the two weeks. I also was informed that we can go to our vehicle between cruises. My thought was to change out suitcases and switch them out when we are required to get off the ship for customs purposes. I was informed we could be allowed back into the terminal and board when the other B2B'ers board prior to main boarding.

I went ahead and booked Palo for Brunch on Day 3 of the first cruise with the parents and their BFF's. I also booked the four of them for a Palo Dinner on Night 4 (Pirate Night). I am not real fond of the Pirate Menu and they will be done with dinner by 8:30 so they can catch the party and fireworks (the DW wanted the fireworks to be a surprise once on board).

The best part of cruising a second or (15th and 16th) time is watching those around you go for the first time. My parents and really getting excited to go. Haven't seem them like this in a long time. Should be fun. More to come.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
DVC'96
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a great trip-I am jealous! Have a great time!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: