Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Fifis Mama
Earning My Ears

Trip Insurance

Trip Insurance - yes or no?

Disney Land - 2006
Disney World - November 2002, April 2011, June 2012, September 2013
Disney Cruise - September 2013

Fifis Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Maybe

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

Yes

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Absolutely not.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifis Mama View Post
Trip Insurance - yes or no?
For us, yes.

The biggest thing we're interested in is the medical coverage. Many US health plans do not cover "out of country". And once you board you are "out of country". Medical evacuation from a foreign country can be super expensive, so we include that also. The other stuff: trip interruption/delay/cancellation, baggage loss/damage/delay, we figure out how much we don't want to lose if something were to go wrong and insure that much.

Oh, and 3rd party insurance is the way we go, not DCL. 3rd party insurance usually costs less and covers more.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 09-10-2013 at 09:20 PM.
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Fifis Mama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

For us, yes.

The biggest thing we're interested in is the medical coverage. Many US health plans do not cover "out of country". And once you board you are "out of country". Medical evacuation from a foreign country can be super expensive, so we include that also. The other stuff: trip interruption/delay/cancellation, baggage loss/damage/delay, we figure out how much we don't want to lose if something were to go wrong and insure that much.

Oh, and 3rd party insurance is the way we go, not DCL. 3rd party insurance usually costs less and covers more.
Which 3rd Party company? I'm debating... It's just my DD and me and we leave in about 1.5 wks... There are Tropical Storms brewing... Supposedly not headed towards us, but is it worth the risk?

Disney Land - 2006
Disney World - November 2002, April 2011, June 2012, September 2013
Disney Cruise - September 2013

Fifis Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifis Mama View Post
Which 3rd Party company? I'm debating... It's just my DD and me and we leave in about 1.5 wks... There are Tropical Storms brewing... Supposedly not headed towards us, but is it worth the risk?
Once a storm has been named, insurance won't cover you if the weather affects your trip.

**To clarify - you won't be covered for weather delays if you buy the insurance after the storm has been named.

Last edited by NancyIL; 09-10-2013 at 09:53 PM.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

For many years we did not get trip insurance.

Now, we get trip insurance for two reasons. First, for medical evacuation. Second, for trip interruption in the event a family member at home has an emergency.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenne View Post
If medical coverage is important to you, then you need to check into getting the insurance as soon as you book your trip. The reason is, the medical waiver is only included if you purchase the insurance within a certain amount of time after you booked your trip, typically 14-21 days. Otherwise, you can still get medical coverage (and other coverage), but the waiver is not included, meaning the insurance company can look into your medical records for any reason to deny your claim. With the medical waiver, the insurance company cannot look into your medical record for a reason to deny your claim. It may or may not matter, but it is something you should consider and know about since it is time sensitive.
Sorry, but what you've written here is not totally correct. It's not a *medical waiver*. It's a *pre-existing condition* waiver, and it only involves any new conditions or changes to an existing condition or the treatment of an existing condition that occurred for a period of time ("look-back period") prior to your purchase of the insurance. Usually, it's 3 to 6 months prior to your purchase of the insurance. They can't hold something that happened to you 3 years ago against you. Basically, they are trying to prevent people from buying the insurance *after* something happens that would cause them to cancel their trip or need medical care during their trip.

So say you purchase a policy today (Sep 10, 2013) and the policy you buy has a 3 month look-back period. Anything that happened before June 10th, 2013 would not count against you as a pre-existing condition. If you were diagnosed with a heart condition in August of 2013, and have to cancel because of a heart attack, that would likely be considered a pre-existing condition because the diagnosis was during the look-back period. You might not be covered *for that condition* unless you had a pre-existing condition waiver. You would still be covered for other medical conditions. Also, if you are a diabetic, but your medications and treatment hasn't changed in 3 years, it's not considered a pre-existing condition, so anything relating to your diabetes would likely be covered.

If you buy most insurance policies withing 14-21 days of putting down your first deposit, and that policy offers a pre-existing condition waiver, then you don't have to worry about most conditions that would occur or change during the look-back period, because that condition would be waived.

Also, the insurance company can't "look into your medical records". They'll only have access to records you send to them, or give them access to for the particular claim you make. Whoever treated you will need to fill out paperwork, and certify whether or not you'd been previously treated for the condition or not. They will only look into the condition that you are filing the claim for, or that you are listing as the reason you canceled your cruise.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 09-10-2013 at 11:11 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
For us, yes.

The biggest thing we're interested in is the medical coverage. Many US health plans do not cover "out of country". And once you board you are "out of country". Medical evacuation from a foreign country can be super expensive, so we include that also.
If medical coverage is important to you, then you need to check into getting the insurance as soon as you book your trip. The reason is, the medical waiver is only included if you purchase the insurance within a certain amount of time after you booked your trip, typically 14-21 days. Otherwise, you can still get medical coverage (and other coverage), but the waiver is not included, meaning the insurance company can look into your medical records for any reason to deny your claim. With the medical waiver, the insurance company cannot look into your medical record for a reason to deny your claim. It may or may not matter, but it is something you should consider and know about since it is time sensitive.
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

My health insurance covers out of country and so does my dh's so I'm not worried about if something happens while on the trip but only if something causes us to cancel before we leave. What insurance would I get for that? We are after the pif date for the cruise but before the pif date for WDW.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyr View Post
My health insurance covers out of country and so does my dh's so I'm not worried about if something happens while on the trip but only if something causes us to cancel before we leave. What insurance would I get for that? We are after the pif date for the cruise but before the pif date for WDW.
Most trip interruption or cancellation insurance can only be bought in conjunction with a medical plan (ie, a "Package"). I'd check with www.***************** or www.tripinsurancestore.com to see if there are any trip cancellation/interruption policies that are stand-alone. But the good news is, almost all plans offer the same monetary coverage for trip cancellation/interruption. Usually most of the big difference is the amount of medical and evacuation coverage. And having ornot having a pre-existing condition waiver. Do some comparisons, but you should be able to go with one of the less expensive plans if you don't care about the amounts for the medical coverage. I'd call one of the websites above & ask them to help you find the best policy that covers just what you need. (I will say, at this point, you may be out of luck with the pre-existing condition waiver since you've already PIF, but, again, I'd ask one of the websites.)

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
dunnhorn
I'd rather be at Castaway Cay

Yes

Yes we always get trip insurance for a cruise, but not for trips to Disney.

We do get the medivac insurance... that is the main reason we get it (as well as for unforeseen events that would make us cancel our trip.) I do think you are better off buying it right when you make the reservation, because for some policies you can get "cancel for any reason whatsoever" added if the insurance is bought outright. There is a website out there - I am blanking on the name of it - that compares a lot of different companies and such. I will have to start cranking up the search and the analysis in prep for our next cruise in April!

HTH

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

DVC Homes: SSR, HH, BLT, BWV, VWL
Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

4 day Disney WONDER May '09.
4 day Disney DREAM April '11.
7 day Disney FANTASY Western May '12.
7 day RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS Eastern April '13
4 day Disney MAGIC March'14

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.
dunnhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnhorn View Post
Yes we always get trip insurance for a cruise, but not for trips to Disney.

We do get the medivac insurance... that is the main reason we get it (as well as for unforeseen events that would make us cancel our trip.) I do think you are better off buying it right when you make the reservation, because for some policies you can get "cancel for any reason whatsoever" added if the insurance is bought outright. There is a website out there - I am blanking on the name of it - that compares a lot of different companies and such. I will have to start cranking up the search and the analysis in prep for our next cruise in April!

HTH
There are a couple of place like this. We've used http://www.*****************/ and https://www.squaremouth.com/ in the past when looking to insure.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Absolutely! We always buy trip insurance for big ticket vacations.

We have had a flight interruption that would have caused us to miss the ship if it had happened during a cruise vacation. We had an emergency landing that kept us grounded for several hours during one or our vacations. We have had relatives grounded for weather, mechanical, and missed connection issues that lasted several hours that would have made a person miss their cruise.

There are many reasons for missing a cruise boarding time, I would never go without trip insurance.

And for those that say no to trip insurance, they are probably the ones that will be looking at DCL to cut them a deal or make a special exception if they miss their cruise for some reason.

JMHO
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: