Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
jenny105
DIS Veteran

"A free trip to the World? Sweet!" - AUGUST 2013 WDW AEP TR updated 10/19

Hi everyone! I'm back with another Jenny105 TR. Most of you reading this know me but for those of you who don't my name is Jen, I'm 30 years old, and I'm from New Jersey. I'm a travel agent for AAA and my job has some great perks! I book all kinds of trips but my favorite trips to plan are Disney, natch.

This trip was different from others. It wasn't my own, I did little to no planning, and Disney chose the resort. I went to the World August 26-30th as part of an Agent Education Program for "work." Most of my days were filled with site inspections and seminars but I was able to squeeze in a little bit of fun too. The best part of it? Disney put us up at the Grand Floridian resort! I never thought I'd get to stay there and it's another resort to cross of the bucket list. I traveled & roomed with my co-worker Lorraine and met some great people along the way. I hope you'll join me and relive my trip with me!

Chapter 1 - We Have Arrived
Chapter 2 - Polynesian & Boardwalk
Chapter 3 - Illuminations
Chapter 4 - New Fantasyland
Chapter 5 - Fort Wilderness & Wilderness Lodge
Chapter 6 - Contemporary & BLT
Chapter 7 - Grand Floridian Tour
Chapter 8 - Magic Kingdom and Chef Mickey's
Chapter 9 - AoA Cars Section
Chapter 10 - The Rest of AoA
Chapter 11 - Port Orleans Riverside
Chapter 12 - Dinner at Garden Grill
Chapter 13 - Cape May Cafť, the Clubs, and Port Canaveral
Chapter 14 - Disney Dream Tour
Chapter 15 - Disney Dream Continued
Chapter 16 - CSR, DHS, & Wishes
Chapter 17 - Our Last Day in Disney

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP

Last edited by jenny105; 10-19-2013 at 10:34 AM.
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
budafam
DIS Veteran

I'm joining along Gotta love those travel agent perks Can't wait to see pics of all the resorts... I plan to take a trip just to do all that next summer.
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Joining in!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Dancegrl624
DIS Veteran

I'm here!

Completed Trip Reports
A Sept 2013 Solo Trip to the World It's A Cat World After All A Sept 2012 TRCelebrations Galore & Free Dining Too! A Sept 2012 PTR
Take Small Children By The Hand...a Sept Trip Report "I Want To Go Back!!!...a Sept 2010 PTR
Heat,Headaches but So Much Fun! My June Birthday TR Wishes Do Come True!...a Birthday PTR A Surprise Fit for a Princess...PTR and TR
1984-1st trip, 1987-offsite, 1991-offsite, 1992-Contemporary (won that trip!), 1997-ASMu, 2002-offsite (DH's 1st trip),
2006-offsite (DD's 1st trip), Jan 2009-offsite, June 2009- Birthday trip at Pop,Sept 2010-Pop Century,Aug 2012-Boardwalk Inn,Sept 2012-POFQ (DS's 1st trip),Sept 2013-CR (Earmarked Conference), March 2014-DCL AEP on the Magic
Dancegrl624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Here!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
homeschoolmomof4
Keep moving forward

Can't wait to hear more about it!

Pop Century January 2015 Pop Century December 2013 Pop Century October 2012 Pop Century December 2011 Pop Century December 2010 Contemporary March 2010-Parents only trip!! Pop Century December 2009 Pop Century January 2009 Wilderness Lodge January 2008 Wilderness Lodge February 2007 Contemporary February 2005

homeschoolmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
klacey1
DIS Veteran

The GF lobby is gorgeous! I never get tired of Splash either! It's such a long, great ride. Augh, I hate getting stuck on rides, but it doesn't sound like Pirates was too bad.
That FL rain! Short but fierce! Glad you had time to dry off!
Old 09-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
NMW
DIS Veteran

Subscribing
Old 09-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Brae's Mom
In need of a Disney Fix.......NOW!!!!!!

Hey girl!! I'm here. Can't wait to see all your pics from your trip and hear all the stories. I saw some on facebook but I love hearing the report along with it. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Getting to stay at the GF, lucky girl. I'm totally jealous and seriously considering a career change
Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
AHHHHH The Grand Floridian!! I'm in love!! What a gorgeous resort!! How magical that you got to stay there!!

Goodness...I don't think I will be ready for how much has changed since I've been there last...even longer than you, June 2011! CRAZY! I'm glad tap to touch is pretty easy though.

I'm glad that you were able to squeeze in some Splash...I LOVE going on with people who don't know when the drop is. So funny.

Can't wait for the tours!!
Has it really been that long?? Wait til you see New Fantasyland. You're going to love it!

Are you going to be in Epcot 10/22? We'll be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
You're right, that is the best sign that ever stood...and I own a sign shop...so I'm an expert.
So you would know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
The GF lobby is gorgeous! I never get tired of Splash either! It's such a long, great ride. Augh, I hate getting stuck on rides, but it doesn't sound like Pirates was too bad.
That FL rain! Short but fierce! Glad you had time to dry off!
GF is a very pretty resort. I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. I'm glad I was able to stay there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMW View Post
Subscribing
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brae's Mom View Post
Hey girl!! I'm here. Can't wait to see all your pics from your trip and hear all the stories. I saw some on facebook but I love hearing the report along with it. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Getting to stay at the GF, lucky girl. I'm totally jealous and seriously considering a career change
Hi Crystal! I took around 500 pictures so there are plenty to look at. The funny thing is I wasn't even excited when they told us we were staying at GF. I never had any desire to stay there but I quickly changed my tune. Beautiful place!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu/DCL ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Polynesian & Boardwalk

Lorraine and I headed over to the convention center to meet the rest of our group. There were about 50 of us in total Ė mostly all women and two guys. Our group leaders were Rita and Tommy. Both were very nice but Rita talked a bit too much about herself IMO (no offense but I really donít need to hear about your grandkids over and over again!). Tommy was fabulous and full of information. We picked up another welcome packet Ė this one included a water bottle, a poncho, and an earpiece that was to be used during our tour. They split us up into Mickeys and Minnies. We fell into the Mickey group which meant Tommy would be our tour guide during the site inspections.

At 4 pm we boarded our bus and headed over to our first resort, the Polynesian. Originally we were supposed to be touring Coronado Springs but they were filled due to a convention so they switched us at last minute. The Polynesian is my dream resort so I didnít mind one bit!

Welcome to the Poly

First things first: the CMs at the Poly taught us a hula dance. Now Iím not really a shy person but the entire lobby was watching us. Iím sure thereís a video floating around of us somewhere.

After that we began our tour. It started raining a bit again but nowhere near as bad as when we were at the MK.

The marina

I can see my house from here!  I wish.

Just look at those cloudsÖ

The rooms were recently refurbished. Pretty nice IMO.

After our tour we headed back to the bus and headed to the Boardwalk! Creepy clown pool aside this is a gorgeous resort and you canít beat the location. I think I have my eye on this resort for our next stay. I didnít get a picture of it but I really loved that the doors going into the rooms looked like you were outside a house. So cute!

Iíve been to the real Lucy!

Creepiest chair ever!

We toured the villa side first. Here is a 1 BR.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Our Last Day in Disney

The last morning we got a break Ė breakfast at 8am instead of 7:30! Woohoo for an extra 30 minutes of sleep! Breakfast was followed by yet another seminar. This one was all about social media which was kind of pointless because sites like youtube, facebook, and twitter are blocked at work. SoÖyeah.
Then it was time to receive our diplomas. Before we could start Tommy burst in with an announcement. Someone heard we were graduating and wanted to help us celebrate our accomplishment.

Mickey!

To be honest I knew they were going to do this because they did the same thing at my Disneyland AEP a couple years ago. But I was excited nonetheless. Itís a nice treat and a different kind of character meet and greet.

We were called up one at a time to get our diplomas and pose with Mickey.

We had the opportunity for a group shot and no one knew where to look because there were so many cameras! This was our usual breakfast table: Kat, Kristin, Patti, Rochelle, Ashley, Lorraine, me, and Olivia.

After graduation we were free to leave. Our flight wasnít until 5:10 so we had a few hours until (un)Magical Express picked us up. A group of us decided to head over to Magic Kingdom. Kristin, Lorraine, and Patti wanted to shop and the rest of us (me, Olivia, Rochelle, Ashley, Matt, and Kat) wanted to go on some rides. Our first stop was Gastonís Tavern to get a LeFouís Brew. I thought it was tasty but it is on the sweet side. I donít think I could drink more than one of them. I know we went on Pirates (my second time this trip!), Monsterís Laugh Floor, and Buzz Lightyear. Kat was seated next to me and she must have hit some magic target because she maxed out 15 seconds into the ride! We tried to go on Jungle Cruise too but it was down for refurb. Oh well, thereís always next time! A couple members of our group went off to get lunch and the rest of us headed back to the GF to wait for our buses.

Bye Magic Kingdom. Until next time.

We hung out in the lobby until our bus showed up. I think Lorraine, Patti, and I were the first to leave out of the group.

Bye Grand Floridian. Iíll probably never see you again unless you lower your rates!

We said our goodbyes and boarded ME. The ride was uneventful and we made it to the airport in plenty of time. We grabbed lunch at Macaroni Grill before going through security and boarding our plane. Bye Florida. See you In OctoberÖer Tuesday!

We got in on time and Kris was there to pick me up. We made it home in record time from the airport as we only live about 20 minutes away. And there you have it Ė my Disney AEP TR!

Tomorrow I embark on another vacation Ė cruising on Norwegian Breakaway to Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay, and Nassau Bahamas. Iíve been on this itinerary before; Iím really more interested in seeing the ship but itís Krisís first real cruise. Last year we did a two nighter on the Disney Magic just to see how he would like it. He loved it so we booked a full length cruise for this year. I canít believe we leave tomorrow. Iím so excited! Have a great week everyone!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Aww, graduation with Mickey! Awesome that you got some extra time in the MK before your flight!!
Have so much fun on your cruise!! Can't wait to see pictures!
Old 10-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #14
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klacey1 View Post
Aww, graduation with Mickey! Awesome that you got some extra time in the MK before your flight!!
Have so much fun on your cruise!! Can't wait to see pictures!
Thank you!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Old 10-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

hope you are having a good time on your cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
I'm sure you'll be back soon enough. Any surprise trips in the works?

well we will be back within the year...

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: