DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
sndral
DIS Veteran
 
sndral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,437

Question about timing

Well, I dipped my toe in and called today to ask about two contracts and both were pending, but they had one that fit my needs which had just come in and was a better price than the almost identical one that I had called about. Haven't heard if my offer has been accepted yet, but in case this actually happens I have a question:
I was looking for Dec. use year w/ all 2013 points - didn't care about 2012 points, well this one has my 2013 points, but it also has unbanked 2012 points - any chance I'd close and be able to use them for a quick Nov. trip before they expire? And if that could happen, what might be available - SSR?
Notice the DVC effect already setting in - I was planning a Jan 2015 trip w/ points if I bought, but now w/ the possibility that I might have those 'extra' unbanked points going to 'waste' I immediately thought - oh, maybe I should jet cross country for a last minute trip to WDW.
Thanks for any insight.
__________________
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,671

I your offer is accepted ask the owners to bank them before going to ROFR
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
rlovew
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 12,923
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
I your offer is accepted ask the owners to bank them before going to ROFR
It is too late to bank Dec 2012 points now. You might have the possibility of a Nov trip if you are willing to take any size room and move between whichever rooms are empty at 1 resort or another and don't plan the trip for over Thanksgiving or if you are willing to switch back and forth with cash night interspersed within the trip. Your best bet is the time after F&W ends and before Thanksgiving for getting any availability. You would also have to hope for a quick move through of your contract. Most likely SSR would have the most availability but you may very well have to take a studio here one night followed by a 2 bedroom somewhere else the next and then a 1 bedroom in another category the next night.
__________________
Me and DH
rlovew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Well, I dipped my toe in and called today to ask about two contracts and both were pending, but they had one that fit my needs which had just come in and was a better price than the almost identical one that I had called about. Haven't heard if my offer has been accepted yet, but in case this actually happens I have a question:
I was looking for Dec. use year w/ all 2013 points - didn't care about 2012 points, well this one has my 2013 points, but it also has unbanked 2012 points - any chance I'd close and be able to use them for a quick Nov. trip before they expire? And if that could happen, what might be available - SSR?
Notice the DVC effect already setting in - I was planning a Jan 2015 trip w/ points if I bought, but now w/ the possibility that I might have those 'extra' unbanked points going to 'waste' I immediately thought - oh, maybe I should jet cross country for a last minute trip to WDW.
Thanks for any insight.
Assuming the points aren't already banked, ask the owner to schedule your Nov trip if the offer is accepted then set up closing for at or just after the checkin day. You may need to put up a higher ernest money amount to get them to do so.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
sndral
DIS Veteran
 
sndral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,437

The 2012 pts. are not banked and it's too late to do so now, when I mentioned to the agent that it was too bad all the 2012 points would be wasted she said I'd be surprised at the status of the points in some cases.
I hadn't thought about asking the owners to make a reservation - but I don't think I want to delay closing - sellers can get cold feet and back out at any point.
I just have to laugh at myself for fretting about wasted points on a contract that I don't even know if the sellers will accept my offer.
__________________
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,671

The owners are not allowed to close with an existing reservation so that idea wouldn't work.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #7
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
The owners are not allowed to close with an existing reservation so that idea wouldn't work.
It would if the trip occurred before the closing. It could even potentially occur checkin day. That was my suggestion.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,671

Yeah but if owners are selling to cash in their points I can't see them agreeing to defer closing so the purchaser can take a vacation on points he hasn't paid for yet.

In reality I think this is mute anyway as I am fairly sure availability for November is very very limited.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
MickeyFan612
Mouseketeer
 
MickeyFan612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 396

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

If it's through Fidelity you will be lucky to close be Nov.
31- my average wait w/ them has been 3 months or more
depending on how motivated the seller is!
MickeyFan612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
sndral
DIS Veteran
 
sndral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,437

Thanks for the replies - I actually did some research last night and calculated out a best case 'reasonable time line' for closing and receipt of membership # from Disney and came up w/ 11/21 - and that was before I learned that sellers needed until @ least this Mon. to communicate w/ each other re: my offer - so I'll just not fret about those 2012 points that are soon to go to DVC Mickey heaven.
__________________
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
fsm8
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10

I'm confused. Aren't banked Dec 2012 points good until Dec 2014? Originally they could be used Dec 2012-2013, so if they're banked, they can be used for an additional year?
fsm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002
 
KAT4DISNEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 8,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsm8 View Post
I'm confused. Aren't banked Dec 2012 points good until Dec 2014? Originally they could be used Dec 2012-2013, so if they're banked, they can be used for an additional year?
That is correct if the 2012 points had been banked but they were not and it's past the Dec UY banking deadline (July 31).

OP - IF the contract were in good standing with DVC (not behind on a loan or dues) the seller could be asked to call MS and ask if an exception could be made and the points banked. It's not likely but it has been done for others.
__________________
Kathy

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran
 
Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 30,778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
Yeah but if owners are selling to cash in their points I can't see them agreeing to defer closing so the purchaser can take a vacation on points he hasn't paid for yet.

In reality I think this is mute anyway as I am fairly sure availability for November is very very limited.
In this situation it wouldn't delay closing much if at all. It's actually easy to structure this as a win-win situation where it becomes a rental if the buyer backs out but if completed the seller gets a little more total and the buyer gets to use the points that would go to waste otherwise. I'm sure many wouldn't want to fool with it but others would be willing to given reasonable options for both sides.
__________________
Dean
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.