Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

First Time Cruising! February 2014 PTR

Hello and welcome to my newest PTR! I have started and not completed a PTR and TR from our WDW Christmas holiday's in 2011. There is some history of me/us there if you are curious and otherwise let's get on with some new introductions!!

This is the family, taken at our Christmas in Disney 2011 trip. Kids are older (and so am I!) and have changed a bit as you will see in newer pictures but this gives you a good idea of us!

My name is Laura - I'm the mom, the planner, the scheduler and the obsessive Disney Fanatic! I love all things Disney and would easily go back again and again. I am a piano teacher. I teach private and group lessons which keeps me very busy.

Hubby is John - we have been married almost 21 years (wow!). He is and always has been my best friend and biggest confidante. We love to do things together and as our kids get older we are discovering new and fun things to do.

Daughter: Bethany. Bea is almost 16 (will be 16 in Sept) she is fun and slightly crazy (in a good way!) she loves music and sings, writes and performs as much as she can.

Son: John Isaac - 14. Yes, he has the same name as his dad, in fact he is the 5th John in the family line. He just turned 14, is starting highschool, is a gamer, and still loves all things music. He plays piano, clarinet, tenor sax, guitar - and who knows what he will decide to play this year!

And that's us in a nutshell!

So, where are we going???

Mom: Laura Dad: John DD: Bethany, 16 DS: John I, 14
PTR 70th Birthday Celebration
Do you know where the kids are? TR of our first Magic cruise

Trips: DL 1985 / WDW 2008: Stayed off site / WDW 2011: AKL and POFQ / DCL 2014: Magic,4 day

Last edited by veggiemama; 08-30-2013 at 12:15 PM.
veggiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Where are we going you ask?
Here's the story.
From the previous post you will see that I love Disney. I love everything about it and have no issue with going over and over again. Family on the other hand is not as obsessed as me They like Disney but they go because I beg and plead. We can't go every year and DH and I figured once every 3 years would be good. So that means 2014! But before that happened hubby and kids decided that they would like to go somewhere else so they asked to go to Hawaii. Sure that's great and all but there's no Mickey there! But I went along and started researching and figuring things out. We were going to book a time share condo that my parents own and long story short, the condo never happened! (Yay for me!) So of course that got me back on the "Let's go to Disney" mantra. BUT my kids said they want to go somewhere new and my dd Bea desperately wants to go on a cruise so I start researching that. (notice a pattern yet?!) Check out prices and flights and costs and all that fun stuff. Presented to DH and he says - too expensive. Oh dear, I figured that was it, no cruise for the family.

And then.... Quite suddenly, a whole bunch of things changed on the financial side and yesterday we spent the day looking at everything again and planning our year and, would you believe it, we have enough left over to actually go!!

So last night I pushed the little "book now" button and we are set!
When: February 3-7
Where: Bahamas 4-day cruise
Ship: Magic
Room: Stateroom with verandah

So now the questions start, with the biggest one being...... flights!!

Trips: DL 1985 / WDW 2008: Stayed off site / WDW 2011: AKL and POFQ / DCL 2014: Magic,4 day
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Following along!
Welcome!

Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

So I forgot to mention....
We haven't told the kids yet!

Not exactly sure when or how to tell them. Last time for 2011 I went all out:

DH took the kids out for lunch and when they arrived home they saw this on the door

And this trail on the floor

I think it is safe to say we surprised them!

I also made Mickey Cupcakes and gave them their passporter books and juts generally had fun talking about what was to come.

So now, how to surprise them this time?
They knew we were planning a winter holiday but then I let them it know it wasn't going to happen. We talked about cruises but we told them we just couldn't do it this year. So now that they no longer think we are doing a thing...... I need to think of something fun to surprise them with. They are a little old for scavenger hunts, presents and surprises......

Last edited by veggiemama; 08-30-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Arg! Big long "get to know us post" deleted as I tried to post.....
And now I have no time to rewrite. Have to do it later.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
lawjiejul
Earning My Ears

following ur planning

Weare also going on our first Disney cruise March 2014 and I am still in the planning, as to where to stay night before, transportation etc thanks for the posts and inputs
lawjiejul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjiejul View Post
Weare also going on our first Disney cruise March 2014 and I am still in the planning, as to where to stay night before, transportation etc thanks for the posts and inputs
HI Glad I can help with some tips. It's always great to be able to get ideas from those who have done this before.
What ship are you sailing on? We/I are very excited to be going on Magic, especially since it will be updated. I chose it also because it is smaller and my DH does not like crowds so I hope this will be a little quieter for him. Of course, this is also why I chose a verandah room so that he can have his alone time if he needs.

There are a lot of hotels that have shuttles from the Orlando airport, make sure you look online or call them (not all list it on their sites) our shuttle is costing us very little ($70 for all 4 of us) which is a much better price than DME.
I just have to figure out how to get back to the airport after the cruise. Not sure if we will book through Disney yet or if we will rent something else. I will probably need to talk to an agent and figure out if we will get back to the airport in time.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

I can so tell that the teaching year has begun! It has been completely crazy for the past couple weeks with new students, new classes, and trying to figure out everyone's schedule! There has been no time for Disney, which is just sad!

On a fun side - I finally bought some picture frames and put up a few pictures from almost 15 years ago! During that time the Disney store, which was still in my city at that time (it's closed now - boo!) was giving away lilthographs to movies that were pre ordered. Of course, I had to pre order movies just for that alone but they sat in our closets for years because I couldn't figure out where to put them. Well, now with my hubby on board with a 'disney' themed room - well house really! I found some frames and put up some pictures and I have to say, they look great! I have one picture from Beauty and the Beast, one from Aladdin, one from Lady and the Tramp and one from Lion King. I also have a really cool Cinderella one that does that 'change' thing as you walk by it It shows Cinderella going from rags to ball gown - very cool and it will get a place of honour once I find the right frame for it! LOL

As for cruising stuff - I have been doing research but not really about this cruise! I keep looking at the cruises to Alaska and keep thinking maybe DH and I need to take a summer cruise next summer! LOL The kids are both going to be gone for at least the month of July and probably most of August as well so we certainly would have time. And I keep thinking about the booking when on the cruise discount, so who knows maybe another one will be in the works right away too!

Oh, and I decided - mom and I are going to WDW next year! We are going to go to celebrate her 70th birthday so of course I'm going to need to plan and figure out some surprises for her. It will be a quick trip over our Canadian Thanksgiving holiday in October (her birthday is in October as well but not on the actual weekend we are going)

So I'm busy with research, which is almost as much fun as actually going Can't do a whole lot yet our February Cruise since it is not paid in full yet. Bethany did tell me that she wants to go parasailing so once we see the cost of that we will see if we can add that into the day for her.

Next weekend is Bethany's 16th birthday! Can't believe she is 16!! Unfortunately we will be travelling all day on her birthday I feel bad for her though we will have a fun weekend - we are heading to Minneapolis for my sister-in-laws wedding. I still need to think of some fun things to do and surprise her with on the Friday. I know I can't do much but I would like to do something to still make the day special for her.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
momabaarjo
In Pursuit of Cupcakes, Booze, & PHM

I love the decorating!
momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momabaarjo View Post
I love the decorating!
Thanks Tammie! I now have added pictures on the walls of Disney movie lithographs. It turned out pretty good. And I found a great Iron Man figurine for my hubby for Christmas (Iron man being his favourite Marvel character)

Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
06loriann63
Earning My Ears

We are going on our first cruise in January on the Magic. My husband and I and our 2 daughters are so excited and are looking forward to the cruise.
06loriann63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
kdlahue
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06loriann63 View Post
We are going on our first cruise in January on the Magic. My husband and I and our 2 daughters are so excited and are looking forward to the cruise.
Are you going to Castaway Cay out of Orlando?
kdlahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

So once again, life is crazy and I have not been on here at all!!! Sorry everyone.
Unfortunately we have been dealing with major illness in our house. I got sick in the middle of November. Fevers for days, which turned into sinus infection, bronchitis and a double ear infections which led to cysts in both ears and a broken ear drum in my right ear when it finally broke. I have been miserable for the past 5 weeks! Thankfully I started to feel better a week ago, just in time for Christmas. BUT 2 weeks after I go sick my hubby got ill as well. He is not better yet - he's on week 5 now. Though fevers and head cold are gone, his ears are still plugged so he can't hear a thing and it is really getting to him. All I can say about the past 6 weeks is that I am glad they happened now and not just before we left on our holiday. I have informed the kids that they are not allowed to get sick next month!

So back to our cruise:
We are almost under a month till we go! I can hardly believe it!I left off with day 1 plans so here is day 2....

DAY 2 - Cocoa beach
Aaaaahhhh day 2 - we will start off our day by checking out of the airport hotel and getting ourselves to the hotel in Cocoa Beach (this by the way is up for discussion yet - the "how are we getting around???" ) Once we are checked in the plan is to do nothing! We have nothing booked and no plans to book anything, just want to relax on the beach, maybe wander some stores, pretty much do whatever we feel like that day. We will need to find somewhere to eat dinner, not sure if it will be the hotel or a restaurant somewhere else. Really depends on what happens with the transportation thing.
So that's day 2 - easy and relaxing day and me trying to contain my excitement about embarkation day the next day!

In the next week I need to figure out our transportation. When we fly in we should be able to get a shuttle to our hotel, but I"m not positive so I need to call the hotel and talk with them, and also tell them that we will be a late arrival. Then I need to figure out how to get to cocoa beach the next day and to the ship the day after AND then need to figure out from ship to airport on our last day. Yikes! Good thing I have another week off before starting work again.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
veggiemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummer2001 View Post
Hi there!
I saw that you and your family will be on the same cruise as us. We're first time cruisers too and I joined a Facebook book group specifically for our group. The people on there are super amazing!!! There are only about 23 of us on there. There might be about half a dozen newbies and then there are others that have been on more than a dozen Disney cruises. They answer any and all the questions we have.

Also if you know what an FE (Fish Extender) group is they have one already organized. If you don't know what a Fish Extender is just type it in Google images. It's a gift exchange between a small group of people on your cruise. Also try searching FE gift ideas for things people put in these fish extenders. It's all new to me! I was like...what is a fish extender??? Anyway it looks like fun.

I only set up a username this DIS board to tell you about the FB group and I have no idea how this board works. If you reply to my message does it e-mail me or something? Anyway come join us, they're a great group.

The name of our group is "February 3rd 2014 Disney Magic Bahamian Cruise"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/161513267356138/
Hi Gummer - thanks for the invite. I'm not on Facebook very much since I use it only for work purposes. Thank for the invite though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06loriann63 View Post
Hi! So exited for you! You'll have to let me know any extra tips since I will be going on our cruise after you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlahue View Post
Are you going to Castaway Cay out of Orlando?
Hi! Yes we are going to Castaway Cay as well as Nassau. We will leave from Port Canaveral. We are doing a 4 day cruise so we will have one day at sea as well. We are looking forward to Castaway Cay - sure hope it's as fabulous as everyone says!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: