DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Jetsfan523
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9

Just purchased DVC Grand Floridian

After a week in the Contemporary Resort with my family I decided to purchase a DVC membership at the Grand Floridian Villas. I purchased 200 points (probably will purchase another 100 before they sell out). I was offered a set of 200 bonus points for my purchase at the Grand Floridian, has anyone heard of this promotion? I paid $150 a point and I will receive the bonus points right away and my first set of points in April of next year. Thanks
Jetsfan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
rlovew
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13,350
DISboards Moderator

You were given the current year points for your April Use year. You did not receive bonus points but the points you deserve because of your use year. They may call them bonus points but it is not truly correct.
__________________
Me and DH
rlovew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan523 View Post
After a week in the Contemporary Resort with my family I decided to purchase a DVC membership at the Grand Floridian Villas. I purchased 200 points (probably will purchase another 100 before they sell out). I was offered a set of 200 bonus points for my purchase at the Grand Floridian, has anyone heard of this promotion? I paid $150 a point and I will receive the bonus points right away and my first set of points in April of next year. Thanks
Well known DVD sales tactic, "bonus points", don't feel bad, most new buyers would never think that Disney would slant the truth.

Did you select your UY or did the sales person select it for you? Depending on your vacation habits it might not be the best UY for your situation.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer
 
MoreTravels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 174

Do you have to pay 2013-UY maintenance fee for those "bonus points"? If not, they are kind of like bonus points... But my impression that it was charged in the purchase price, hidden somewhere.
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
lorie13
Mouseketeer
 
lorie13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 217

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

The annual dues for 2013 April UY points is $1.038 per point. This will be due in December.
lorie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer
 
MoreTravels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 174

So if you are not paying the full due but get full points, shouldn't you consider those points practically "free" as the guide implied?

I know everyone will get the same amount of points when the contract expires in 50 years. But nobody (or very few) people will keep their contracts running until that time so they won't see that ending... They will only see the beginning.
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Jetsfan523
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9

The Disney Rep that I purchased from said something about how the resort wont open until October so technically I cant get any points until then and on every April 1st is when I will receive my 200 annual points into my account. I'm sorry for not understanding so well i'm new to this. Was I able to pick the month that I receive my points? He never told me he just said that April was the month. How will the month I receive them factor into when I can vacation? Since you guys are saying he kind of tricked me with the bonus points tactic was there any other promotions being offered right now that he failed to mention? I mean I just gave the 20% deposit I didn't close on the property yet so any tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated since I'm new to the whole timeshare thing, Thanks again everyone!
Jetsfan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
Jetsfan523
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9

And he did say something about a pro rated annual dues that I would owe for this year too
Jetsfan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
MoreTravels
Mouseketeer
 
MoreTravels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan523 View Post
The Disney Rep that I purchased from said something about how the resort wont open until October so technically I cant get any points until then and on every April 1st is when I will receive my 200 annual points into my account. I'm sorry for not understanding so well i'm new to this. Was I able to pick the month that I receive my points? He never told me he just said that April was the month. How will the month I receive them factor into when I can vacation? Since you guys are saying he kind of tricked me with the bonus points tactic was there any other promotions being offered right now that he failed to mention? I mean I just gave the 20% deposit I didn't close on the property yet so any tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated since I'm new to the whole timeshare thing, Thanks again everyone!
You cannot bank your points 4 months before your anniversary. So if your anniversary (aka use-year) is February, and you change your mind about Christmas trip... those points may be forfeited because they are too late to be banked. So ask yourself, when do you normally travel? Then pick a UY that is not within that 4 month window.

VGF is a very popular resort. There is no known promotion, not even the regular ones on Disney cruises. The only one was an offer to existing DVC owner, for a $5 per point discount. That promotion has expired too.

You should get some Fast Passes for the tour and purchase. But they are not worth much, less than $100 in value in my opinion so it may not be worth the effort.
MoreTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Jetsfan523
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 9

I know its a hard thing to say now but if i'm not a person who usually cancels a trip my UY wouldn't really affect me at all? And I normally travel in January and in the summer months May-August
Jetsfan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
rlovew
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13,350
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTravels



You paid a premium for those VGF points... with special privileges. You should use those privileges to get VGF, and not AKL. If you want AKL, those points are available at half price of VGF through resale. Also, AKL usually only gets full after the MK resorts are filled first because of its location. If the VGF room is full now for December 2013, your guide can "create availability" for a one-time purchase courtesy. Don't lose that privilege!

The other way to look at it is that you can rent out those VGF points for as high as $17.5... just search the thread. Then use the cash to rent a distressed point at $9 per point. You will save $8 per point, over $1600 for 200 points! That will pay your dining plan so it's worth the hassles of renting and switching.
I think part of it is wanting to vacation in Dec of this year. If they tried to do this there would not be a room available with the distressed points they try to rent.
__________________
Me and DH
rlovew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
anne0866
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Back Woods of New Hampshire
Posts: 315

There are couple of reasons we chose to have our first dvc stay at AKV. First, any DVC resort is going to feel like a huge upgrade for us since we have always stayed at values (POP mostly). Secondly we will have a car on our December trip (we usually do not have a car) and figured AKV would be good choice due to only have bus transportation there. And we left the choice up to our 12 year old son, and he wanted to stay at AKV. We will most likely be using our home resort advantage of VGF on our next trip. Also there was no availability.



We are so excited to join the DVC family!
__________________
Sept 12-19 2006 POP MNSSHP * December 17 -25 2007 POP MVMCP * Sept 20-29 2008 All Star Movies * May 16-24 2011 POP - Star Wars Weekend *
Aug 18 - 22 2013 Pop Century

DVC Villas at the Grand Floridian - Member Since Sept 2013

First DVC trip - AKV Kidani - Dec 15-25, 2013 / SSR April 21-28 2014


DisMom(48): DisDad(45); and DisSon (13)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR]
anne0866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
rosanab1031
Mouseketeer
 
rosanab1031's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne0866 View Post
There are couple of reasons we chose to have our first dvc stay at AKV. First, any DVC resort is going to feel like a huge upgrade for us since we have always stayed at values (POP mostly). Secondly we will have a car on our December trip (we usually do not have a car) and figured AKV would be good choice due to only have bus transportation there. And we left the choice up to our 12 year old son, and he wanted to stay at AKV. We will most likely be using our home resort advantage of VGF on our next trip. Also there was no availability.



We are so excited to join the DVC family!
Well have a great vacation! Your son will have a great time. My BF loved staying in AKV even though it is kind of far away from everything. We did not have a savannah room but we could still walk out to the viewing areas. Are you staying in Jambo or Kidani?
__________________
Our little family :D
= ME = Boyfriend = Kiera = Stormy (Boo) = Blue
rosanab1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
bcvlover
Love Beaches and Creme
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 67

Welcome home to GF
bcvlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.