Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
ArielRae
1042 mi from WDW

Unhappy To many people live behind the lens today

Decided to break my no photos rule during dark performances to show everyone this. Taken during the castle projection show. I was sitting in the hub next to the chip n dale statue and this was the view.

Sea of screens

And of course those flashing away

I can only imagine the hundreds more behind me. And yes after these two photos I put my camera away. Took at the beginning of the proformance.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 2006
Pop Century - 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009(Pregnant), 2013(Solo), 2104
Fort Wilderness - 2012(Tent Camping), 2013(2X), 2014
Disney's Wonder - 2006
Disney's Dream - 2011
Disney's Fantasy - 2012(Thanksgiving Cruise)

ArielRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Wow. That picture makes an impact.

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
amie416
Mouseketeer

This is the new reality... so many people are missing the moment, trying to capture it in grainy video and distorted audio recordings. This is the scene at one of the concerts I work on every year. Kids camp out for several days on a downtown sidewalk to try and win wristbands to see their favourite performers, then they miss the whole show... even thought the whole thing is broadcast in HD and they could just record it on a PVR...

Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
scuba
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amie416 View Post
This is the new reality... so many people are missing the moment, trying to capture it in grainy video and distorted audio recordings. This is the scene at one of the concerts I work on every year. Kids camp out for several days on a downtown sidewalk to try and win wristbands to see their favourite performers, then they miss the whole show... even thought the whole thing is broadcast in HD and they could just record it on a PVR...

who took your picture?
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
amie416
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
who took your picture?
I took that picture from where I was working at front of house.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
scuba
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I took that picture from where I was working at front of house.
so...you kinda wanted a photo too? like all the others wanting a photo? or you took the picture to prove the OP's point?
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
thehowells
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I agree with you 100% I am a concert junkie, but I have two problems. 1. I don't own a smartphone, 2. I own a dslr camera without video. we have a large very successful concert venue in town (like top 10 in the world for it's size) because my camera is "professional" because I can change the lens I can't bring it, but I can grab my wifes iphone and shoot the whole concert in 1080 hd, there is a double standard, and it is a problem at concerts, you often lose some of the show from the glow of screens. it was so bad at a concert by Russell peters last year, he had people working for him simply going around, and taking away the phones so people couldn't record the show

thehowells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:

I don't understand how they "miss the whole show" by taking a picture, or a few pictures.

It looks like a musical performance.

I'm not the most coordinated guy in the world, but I CAN listen to the radio and chew gum at the same time.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #9
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post

I don't understand how they "miss the whole show" by taking a picture, or a few pictures.

I'm not the most coordinated guy in the world, but I CAN listen to the radio and chew gum at the same time.
I agree. People used to hold lighters up at concerts; now it's iPhones. What's the big deal? :D

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

Anyone else see the irony in threads like this?
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

"You can just look at photos/videos on the web." That would require someone to take the actual photos or videos.

You don't want to take photos on vacation? Fantastic!
You do want to take photos on vacation? Awesome!

... I don't really care what you do. It's your vacation and you get to live it how you like. However, it shouldn't interfere with everyone else's experience. That being said, stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, and enjoy yourself at the happiest place on earth.

Personally, I love to take photos at Disney. I like to get different/creative angles of things. For me, it opens my mind to a different side of Disney. It's amazing all the little details they put into things, that most people past by running from ride to ride. Stopping to take a photo, is like stopping to smell the roses, for me. And I completely understand, not everyone is like that.

Here's my photo of people taking pics. I take comfort in knowing that everyone in this photo won't have a decent shot. I took this photo with an ultra wide angle lens at 16mm. Most cellphones are about (equivalent) 30mm.

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
"You can just look at photos/videos on the web." That would require someone to take the actual photos or videos.

You don't want to take photos on vacation? Fantastic!
You do want to take photos on vacation? Awesome!

... I don't really care what you do. It's your vacation and you get to live it how you like. However, it shouldn't interfere with everyone else's experience. That being said, stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, and enjoy yourself at the happiest place on earth.

Personally, I love to take photos at Disney. I like to get different/creative angles of things. For me, it opens my mind to a different side of Disney. It's amazing all the little details they put into things, that most people past by running from ride to ride. Stopping to take a photo, is like stopping to smell the roses, for me. And I completely understand, not everyone is like that.

Here's my photo of people taking pics. I take comfort in knowing that everyone in this photo won't have a decent shot. I took this photo with an ultra wide angle lens at 16mm. Most cellphones are about (equivalent) 30mm.
I love that pic!!! How did you get that? What kind of exposure did you use? How long was the shutter open?

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Bullseye
Faithful Companion

I think the picture taking at WDW is priceless, but IMO to the OPs point (I think) society esp. Americans are becoming way too obsessed with screens ...and it's really messing up traffic man when I'm trying get to work in the morning you know with the texting and the talking and the not driving ...but I digress, yes is it's nice to have pictures from WDW to remember good times.

Ballad Of Bullseye ~ Bullseye my pony, Bullseye my pride, Bullseye mi amigo, Bullseye I will ride. Across the wide prairie, beneath the blue sky, We'll ride on forever just me and Bullseye...

Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
Odelay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post

Bragging is very unbecoming.
Odelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #15
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post

I think now days with digital pictures people take way too many pictures. One or two good pictures is way better than 10 so-so ones.
I take 10 and then edit it down to 1 or 2 good ones.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: