Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
retlaw_yensid
Mouseketeer

Stealing from room safe

I read a new DIS article today that said a housekeeper was caught stealing money from a room safe. I want to know why/how a housekeeper would be able to have keys to the safe?!?!?
retlaw_yensid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retlaw_yensid View Post
I read a new DIS article today that said a housekeeper was caught stealing money from a room safe. I want to know why/how a housekeeper would be able to have keys to the safe?!?!?
Uh... link?
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Skywise
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by retlaw_yensid View Post
Not necessarily the keys... Some hotel safes have a master passcode (in case the guest forgets)

Are Hotel safes really that safe?
Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

OP, please post a link to this thread. The last item I saw about a Disney housekeeper arrested for theft said that she had stolen cash and a credit card that were in the room but not in the safe. This happened at AoA back in May.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Silverscreen
Mouseketeer

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General_..._for_theft.htm

*11/2008 Bonnet Creek with Granny & Grandpa *08/2009 Caribbean Beach with big brother Gabe *09/2010 Port Orleans Riverside with Uncle James *03/2011 Short trip w/Hubby for our anniversary *09/2012 CBR family trip *9/2013 back to POR w/Uncle James *10/2013 ASMo First Trip as AP Holders!!* 05/2014 CBR * 06/2014 POP * 07/2014 POP
Silverscreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Whoa!!1 That's new. I'd like to know how she did it, too!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom

Subbing here. We are staying at BC in October & i always use the safe to store meds, iPod etc. that spooks me!!

Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

The article says the items were in the safe. It does not say the safe was locked. Nor does it say how she gained access to the safe if it was locked. It also says she worked at the All Stars. While some resorts now have safes with electronic locks, the values still have safes with keys. Those safes could probably be pried open or picked.

If there is a master key or a master code, I find it difficult to believe it is given to the housekeepers. If it is, that's really bad practice.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The article says the items were in the safe. It does not say the safe was locked. Nor does it say how she gained access to the safe if it was locked. It also says she worked at the All Stars. While some resorts now have safes with electronic locks, the values still have safes with keys. Those safes could probably be pried open or picked.

If there is a master key or a master code, I find it difficult to believe it is given to the housekeepers. If it is, that's really bad practice.
The safe was locked.

Quote:
On Tuesday, investigators planted a wallet with $100 inside and put another $400 inside a locked safe and set up surveillance in the room to see if Francois would take the bait, her arrest report said.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6027089.story

Even if the safe wasn't locked and she took something that didn't belong to her, she's a thief.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

Okay so I have to ask what is a Vanilla debit Visa card?

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
karriealex
When I am at the Polynesian I am home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post
Okay so I have to ask what is a Vanilla debit Visa card?
It is a card with the Visa brand on it that you can put money on and use it like a debit or credit card.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post

IIRC with the room safes which are operated by key, you cannot remove the key without turning it to the locked position so I am guessing that if it was locked the key may have been left in it, or the key turned to the locked position and then removed meaning the safe door could not close.

[Engaged to the man of my dreams at WDW, Summer 2014
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
IIRC with the room safes which are operated by key, you cannot remove the key without turning it to the locked position so I am guessing that if it was locked the key may have been left in it, or the key turned to the locked position and then removed meaning the safe door could not close.
The article I read said that the safe was locked. I can only assume that they were also locked in the rooms that she stole things in. I can't see someone safeguarding something in a safe and leaving it open.

On the note of her being suspended and not fired and people not wanting to go back. I can see both ways. I have no problem going back as I stay at a deluxe and the safe is harder to get into and I don't bring cash. I do bring electronics but if they are going to steal it is more likely cash they want and not something they have to fence. Those that stay at the Values may have had their beliefs shaken a bit. Everyone likes to feel they are safe but to know you stayed or are staying at a hotel that was hit several times and knowing they are not firing the person and then knowing that the exact safes are still in the rooms might lend to some to get a little nervous.

The mousekeepers must be union because seriously if any one else had been caught as she was they would have been fired on the spot. I have seen it numerous times. There is no wait and see its See Ya Baby. I made a mistake one time that cost the store I was working at money and I was fired immediately. There was no wait and see the outcome of an investigation. I made a mistake that could have been proven, she was caught red-handed.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
bxccah
Ch-Ch-Ch-ChipnDale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite View Post
Subbing here. We are staying at BC in October & i always use the safe to store meds, iPod etc. that spooks me!!
Spooked me too, I'll be storing $400 cash, as I don't have a credit card!

Currently at Disney World! All Star Sports, 9/4 - 9/25
bxccah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
karriealex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxccah View Post
Spooked me too, I'll be storing $400 cash, as I don't have a credit card!
I would keep it on you in one of those money pouches that you can tie around your waist. I know a lot of international travelers use those.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: