DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
MishLosingIt
Earning My Ears

Is DVC even worth it for us?

We went on a DVC tour on our last trip, and I really would like to purchase, but after crunching numbers, my husband isn't sure whether or not it will be a good deal for us. We're a family of 3 (including a 1.5 year old daughter). I'm a teacher, so we'd only be vacationing during school break times. We just stayed at Pop Century and were fine with staying in a value resort for a week - however we already booked a bounceback free dining offer for POFQ. We don't necessarily need to stay in a deluxe resort, but we definitely want to stay for 7-10 days each year, have a dining plan, and park tickets. Do you think we're better off doing a package every year or doing DVC? My husband seems to think that until DVC "pays for itself" it'll actually be more expensive than just doing packages.

2007 - Offsite
2013 - Pop Century

2014 - Port Orleans French Quarter
MishLosingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

The truth is in the numbers but if you are happy with what you are doing, I would probably stick with it.

DVC can be a cost savings for some or a increased cost for others, it all depends on several factors.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

You'll get lots of opinions on this, so you'll have to crunch the numbers like you did and decide. Here's my two cents worth.

Like you, I can only travel during high peak times(holidays, summer) and DVC is so worth it to me. If you're ok staying in the types of accommodations you have been, you probably won't see the worth you get from DVC. To see what it would truly cost, you need to cost out staying in one of the DVC studios for 7-10 days. I can tell you that the times you travel are high peak season and a studio in a DVC resort can run you as much as $500 or more per night. When I ran the numbers, I found that each of my trips would have cost at least $5000 for a week stay. Granted, if I was paying out of pocket, I would have gotten a much cheaper room(before DVC I stayed at Coronado Springs, Port Orleans, etc). However, since I've become a DVC member the upgraded rooms are now my new norm. I now judge everywhere else I stay based on what I get when I stay at WDW in a DVC resort studio or 1 bedroom. I can say that DVC has elevated the level at which I am able to travel. I like that very much! Others will disagree, but I also use my points to do DCL and ABD. You also have access to RCI properties if you buy direct from Disney so you don't have to go to WDW every year. Good luck with you decision.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
BeerMe
DIS Veteran

I've looked at it several times and it doesn't make financial sense for us ~ own RCI points but that makes little sense either but it is cheap. I wish I had bought DVC in the early 90s. That would have worked out. Now it doesn't make sense ~ for us.

We've stayed at every resort on site except CS.
BeerMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishLosingIt View Post
We went on a DVC tour on our last trip, and I really would like to purchase, but after crunching numbers, my husband isn't sure whether or not it will be a good deal for us. We're a family of 3 (including a 1.5 year old daughter). I'm a teacher, so we'd only be vacationing during school break times. We just stayed at Pop Century and were fine with staying in a value resort for a week - however we already booked a bounceback free dining offer for POFQ. We don't necessarily need to stay in a deluxe resort, but we definitely want to stay for 7-10 days each year, have a dining plan, and park tickets. Do you think we're better off doing a package every year or doing DVC? My husband seems to think that until DVC "pays for itself" it'll actually be more expensive than just doing packages.
Even if you buy DVC, you will still need to buy park tickets and pay for the dining plan. All DVC gets you is lodging, prepaid (at least some of it, you still pay annual member fees each year based on the number of points you own). If moderates or values are fine, you like free dining, DVC probably really isn't for you.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
sonofanarchy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Even if you buy DVC, you will still need to buy park tickets and pay for the dining plan. All DVC gets you is lodging, prepaid (at least some of it, you still pay annual member fees each year based on the number of points you own). If moderates or values are fine, you like free dining, DVC probably really isn't for you.
Exactly.

I'm not opposed to DVC. If I had $30K in disposable income I could spend, I'd probably join. There are just so many questions you need to ask yourself:

-Will you be financing? If so, DVC probably isn't a good idea.
-Are you absolutely certain you'll be going to WDW every year for the next 40 years?
-When do you typically go to WDW and how much more is it with points for your week of the year versus other times?

I think a huge part of the DVC decision is one based on personal beliefs. Most people think I'm nuts going to Disney every year and paying to stay in Deluxe resorts. That's all fine. But my personal belief is if I can afford it, I'll do it. From year to year. Buying into DVC to me is exactly what it is - Paying for your vacations for the next 40-50 years in advance. I just don't agree with that. There are too many variables in life. I like knowing that if I can't afford to go one year, I don't have dues to pay for. Sure, you can always rent the points out, but that's just something else to deal with.

Honestly, I've found renting points from DVC members to be the best way to go for me. I love the 1 bedroom villas, and if I can rent points at $12 per point (just did for 2014), then that's great. I'm saving a bunch of money off of what Disney would charge me, but there's no long term obligation.

Bottom line - There is no right or wrong answer. You shouldn't go into DVC thinking of it as an investment, because it most certainly isn't (unless you're in the real estate game). It's a lifestyle choice that you need to make and be comfortable with.

That being said, one word of caution I would always give - NEVER buy into DVC while on vacation in WDW. 95% of those buys are bought because you're wrapped up in the magic of WDW. Take the material home, study it, crunch the numbers, THEN decide.
sonofanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
gofish7490
Earning My Ears

Post A tough decision

Back in 1995, my family (lovely wife and 2 children) was faced with this same decision. However, we did not want to go to WDW every year. It just so happened, Disney was in the process of building the Hilton Head Island (HHI) resort. After our WDW trip in 1995, we drove by HHI on the way home and even though it was still under construction we loved the resort. We signed the dotted line and have never had any regrets. We have many cherished memories from our family vacations, including many at WDW. We used our points this year to stay at Disney in Hawaii (30th anniversary), what a great resort. We are using our points next year to take our extended family to HHI in a grand villa.

I say all of this to point out, think long term and not just in the present. Your family will change as ours has. We are now empty nesters, but we still have no problem using our points every year. There is more to it than just the money, but I know the money part prevents some from buying in. If I were to buy more points today, I would probably go the resale route even with the new restrictions placed on them. So, check out the resale market as well.

Have a Disney Day,
Tom
gofish7490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
NHTikiBeckie
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I think if you are okay with value resorts, then you won't exactly find a savings with DVC. Definitely crunch the numbers and decide though!

Disney World videos I made!

http://vimeo.com/7316001 (MGM & Animal Kingdom)

http://vimeo.com/7315073 (Epcot)

http://vimeo.com/7316111 (Magic Kingdom)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjHXWMp1uhI (Christmas and Fun outside the parks)
NHTikiBeckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishLosingIt View Post
Compared to free dining in a value or moderate, DVC is likely to be more expensive even for a studio. I wouldn't recommend purchasing in the situation you're in. I'd suggest you keep doing what you're doing but keep informed so that if your situation or Disney's change, you could buy in later.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
crisi
DIS Veteran

You won't get deals with DVC (no free dining, no bounceback offers) and if you are fine in a value, you won't save money.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Whether it 'pays for itself', depends on what you're comparing it to. If you're comparing DVC to a value room, it's never going to pay for itself, and it'll always be more expensive than staying at a value.

When you hear talk of people saving money with DVC, they mean that they're saving money when you compare the cost of ownership of DVC with the cost of booking the same room on a cash reservation.

You also can't compare DVC to a package - DVC only covers your lodging; you'll still need to buy tickets and/or a dining plan.

Here's a better way to come at it.....is having a DVC studio or villa worth the extra cost of owning DVC, as compared to staying at a value? Is having the amenities of the DVC resorts - monorail, walking, or boat access to theme parks instead of buses, more elaborate pools, more dining choices - worth the extra cost of owning DVC?

When you come down to it, DVC is about the resorts, and about the villas. If the resort isn't an important part of your vacation, if you really only use the room to sleep and shower, then you're not likely to find value in DVC.

If you're willing to pay more for larger rooms, and more resort amenities, and you're looking for a cost-effective way to do it, then by all means, take a good look at DVC.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
When you hear talk of people saving money with DVC, they mean that they're saving money when you compare the cost of ownership of DVC with the cost of booking the same room on a cash reservation.
IMO comparing to the cost of DVC rack rate (or even a discounted rack rate) makes no sense unless one were doing that type of stay on cash anyway. IMO the proper method to compute savings is based on what you'd actually do without owning DVC. Then there's a separate value component.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
GS for life
Mouseketeer

We bought DVC last year. The girls are older (9 and 14) and the bigger rooms we can get really helped us decide. We plan on eating in the room for a few meals to save some money, but knew we were in a financial position that we could now afford it. I wish we could have in the 1990's when I was a Disney Store CM but I was a student and husband an Ensign.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Bhoffm02
Earning My Ears

This is the way I look at it:

An average SSR resale contract is $70/pp. The current MF are $4.80/pp (rounding to $5/pp to account for increase). So the cost of a single SSR point is $5 x 40 years (remaining life of SSR contract) = $200 + $70 (purchase price per point) = $270 / 40 years (because for that 1 point contract you are actually getting 40 points. 1 per year) = $6.75 per point. The average night at SSR is 15 points x $6.75 per point = $101.25 (roughly the cost of a value resort). So if you are goint to vacation with Disney often over the next 40 years, and would otherwise stay on property, then DVC may make financial sense (unless you finance it!). Hope that helps.
Bhoffm02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
DisneyDenis
Mouseketeer

Before buying resale at DVC my family stayed at Coronado Springs with free standard dining. However, my granddaughter begged us to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge/Villas the next time. She asked for a room where she could see large animals (zebras, giraffes, etc.) from our balcony when she got up in the morning. Mercedes was 8 years old when we did go to AKV. I got 2 studios at Spring Break time when Disney offers NO discounts for Savannah View rooms (other types yes). NO free dining at that time... She was really excited about those animals !!!

Animal Kingdom Lodge is the only Disney resort rated in top 10 Family Resorts by the Travel Channel and always the highest ranking of Disney Resorts and some years all resorts by Travel & Leisure in the Family category. I used 2 years worth of points. My "savings" over rack rate was an incredible $4000 for two studios combined (we were 4 adults and 1 child). I calculated my cost as 2 years membership fees + straight line depreciation for 2 years (even though my contract is worth MORE than when I bought it.) One more trip like this I will have "saved" much more than I spent on my resale contract.

My point is that there is a major difference between the Values and DVC resorts. Lastly, I could still go to Disney World next year staying at a Value or Moderate with free dining by renting my points. After paying my membership fees, I will have about $500 extra from the rental to put down for my vacation in a Value/Moderate.

Last edited by DisneyDenis; 08-19-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: grammar
DisneyDenis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: