Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
SLP958
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,216

Children should not have to think like this

My DS is staring Kindergarten next week. Tonight we were talking through some of the things he is nervous about. It was the usual how will I find my teacher, what if I don't know any kids, how will I find my backpack etc.
Then, he asks "what if a bad guy comes in the school with guns?" I responded by telling him the school was safe and they have door locks. This seemed to satisfy him but not me.

I am sure he has heard bits and pieces of news stories but had never said anything like this before. I feel awful that a 5 year old has to think like this. I just cried.

Anyone else had to address with such a little kid?
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
daemom
DIS Veteran
 
daemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Too far from Disney
Posts: 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP958 View Post
My DS is staring Kindergarten next week. Tonight we were talking through some of the things he is nervous about. It was the usual how will I find my teacher, what if I don't know any kids, how will I find my backpack etc.
Then, he asks "what if a bad guy comes in the school with guns?" I responded by telling him the school was safe and they have door locks. This seemed to satisfy him but not me.

I am sure he has heard bits and pieces of news stories but had never said anything like this before. I feel awful that a 5 year old has to think like this. I just cried.

Anyone else had to address with such a little kid?
It is definitely heartbreaking! It's a different world from what I grew up in. My youngest has lockdown drills now. A code is given over the intercom and each room has a particular place or wall in which the students are to sit--silently. I was in the school during one and it was unnerving. I had to sit where the kids sat, the leaders turned off the lights, windows were covered, door was locked. Then the principal walked the halls checked doors to verify they were locked--THAT in itself was scary! You're sitting in the dark and then that door is rattled!! Then, like a fire drill, the all clear is given and the kids go back to what they were doing. As much as it saddened me, the children weren't bothered by it at all--it's part of their normal routine now.

I wish you luck next week! It's a big step for both of you!
daemom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!
 
Stitchfans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 11,125

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemom View Post
It is definitely heartbreaking! It's a different world from what I grew up in. My youngest has lockdown drills now. A code is given over the intercom and each room has a particular place or wall in which the students are to sit--silently. I was in the school during one and it was unnerving. I had to sit where the kids sat, the leaders turned off the lights, windows were covered, door was locked. Then the principal walked the halls checked doors to verify they were locked--THAT in itself was scary! You're sitting in the dark and then that door is rattled!! Then, like a fire drill, the all clear is given and the kids go back to what they were doing. As much as it saddened me, t othe children weren't bothered by it at all--it's parf their normal routine now.

I wish you luck next week! It's a big step for both of you!
the bolded words really bother me. to think my grandchildren, when they are old enough to go to school will think nothing of it to practice lock downs.
__________________
Susan
Stitchfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Blueeyes101817
Diehard Cowboys fan!
Tag trading will not be as profitable as pin trading
Being watched
 
Blueeyes101817's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 24,391

I am a Kindergarten teacher and we have been doing lock down drills for the past 5 years or so. As a previous poster said, the kids are not rattled by it at all. It does make me sad when my kids come in and tell me that they are worried about bad guys in the school.
Blueeyes101817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 45,369

Today in St. Charles Missouri, they had a lockdown situation. Kicker was the guy is a firefighter. Yep. He came to the HS distraught to see his ex-wife, who was a teacher and child who went to the school. The school resource officer met him in the parking lot because I think the ex-wife alerted the school to the situation.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/08/...into-lockdown/
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
ironpig70
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,134

If definitely brings the suck but schools are just as safe today as when we were kids. 30+ years ago.


Problem we have today is the 24 hour media and the political machine pushing its agenda behind every tragedy.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 14,081

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Today in St. Charles Missouri, they had a lockdown situation. Kicker was the guy is a firefighter. Yep. He came to the HS distraught to see his ex-wife, who was a teacher and child who went to the school. The school resource officer met him in the parking lot because I think the ex-wife alerted the school to the situation.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/08/...into-lockdown/
DW is front office at our school. Custody fights are the #1 reason the cops are called at our school. On several occasions, it's appeared the mom moved with the kids and didn't tell the dad where. When the dad finally figures it out, he shows up at school demanding to take his kids.
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran
 
ilovemk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemom View Post
It is definitely heartbreaking! It's a different world from what I grew up in. My youngest has lockdown drills now. A code is given over the intercom and each room has a particular place or wall in which the students are to sit--silently. I was in the school during one and it was unnerving. I had to sit where the kids sat, the leaders turned off the lights, windows were covered, door was locked. Then the principal walked the halls checked doors to verify they were locked--THAT in itself was scary! You're sitting in the dark and then that door is rattled!! Then, like a fire drill, the all clear is given and the kids go back to what they were doing. As much as it saddened me, the children weren't bothered by it at all--it's part of their normal routine now.

I wish you luck next week! It's a big step for both of you!
My generation had to do bomb drills. It was no big deal to us. We would either get under our desks or line up in the hallway.
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
DVCJones
DIS Veteran
 
DVCJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemom View Post

It is definitely heartbreaking! It's a different world from what I grew up in. My youngest has lockdown drills now. A code is given over the intercom and each room has a particular place or wall in which the students are to sit--silently. I was in the school during one and it was unnerving. I had to sit where the kids sat, the leaders turned off the lights, windows were covered, door was locked. Then the principal walked the halls checked doors to verify they were locked--THAT in itself was scary! You're sitting in the dark and then that door is rattled!! Then, like a fire drill, the all clear is given and the kids go back to what they were doing. As much as it saddened me, the children weren't bothered by it at all--it's part of their normal routine now.

I wish you luck next week! It's a big step for both of you!
That 'lockdown' procedure is all well and good IF the threat is outside the building. However, that would be the wrong thing to do if the threat was IN the building.

There is a new school of thought (no pun intended) that the safest thing to do in the event of an active shooter is to first, GET OUT if you can. Hide/barricade if you can't get out and Lastly, fight back as a last resort. In short... Don't be a sitting duck and wait your turn to be shot.

Most of these tragic events are over in minutes. Usually when the police arrive the bad guy takes himself out. Teachers need to be trained in evacuation, and what to do if you can't. Things like creating time between you and the bad guy... By slowing the bad guy down, you lower the casualties. The sad truth though it that they are there to do damage. And they will. Teachers and administration need to know how to cut down the casualties. Even if it means... <gasp> taking the bad guy out!!!!

Oddly enough, at this moment, they are talking about this very thing on TV.....
__________________
DVCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them
 
torinsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Right down the street from the UNC Tarheels!
Posts: 8,906

We've had lockdown drills for at least 5 years. It's just something routine to practice in case there is an emergency situation. In my room, we go in the classroom bathroom. I have a lockdown bag I made that has a tap light, a list of the kids, and marshmallows. The marshmallows are in case it is a real lockdown. It would give us something fun to eat while we sit there. My assistant is to take the kids in the bathroom and I close the blinds and make sure the door is closed(it is always locked), plus put out a signal that all is well in the classroom.

We tell our kids that the school is safe. All doors are locked and the teachers know what to do in the case of an emergency. It seems to be enough for them. Now, it isn't enough for ME. Our doors are wooden with glass windows. All it would take is one gunshot to get a gunman in the classroom. I don't know what I would do in a real shooting situation. I could get the kids to the cafeteria across our courtyard in less than a minute. The cafeteria has steel doors with really high windows. The problem is---only the custodian has a key to LOCK the cafeteria doors. I have been trying to get that problem corrected, but the district is not cooperating. It stays on my mind A LOT.
__________________
3/2001--offsite 10/2001-offsite
3/2006--Pop Century 8/2006--Pop Century
October 13-19, 2007--Pop Century 70's
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
SLP958
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
We've had lockdown drills for at least 5 years. It's just something routine to practice in case there is an emergency situation. In my room, we go in the classroom bathroom. I have a lockdown bag I made that has a tap light, a list of the kids, and marshmallows. The marshmallows are in case it is a real lockdown. It would give us something fun to eat while we sit there. My assistant is to take the kids in the bathroom and I close the blinds and make sure the door is closed(it is always locked), plus put out a signal that all is well in the classroom.

A friend whose child goes to the same school DS will be staring described their lockdown drills to me. I sounds like they have a coordinated plan.


We tell our kids that the school is safe. All doors are locked and the teachers know what to do in the case of an emergency. It seems to be enough for them. Now, it isn't enough for ME. Our doors are wooden with glass windows. All it would take is one gunshot to get a gunman in the classroom. I don't know what I would do in a real shooting situation. I could get the kids to the cafeteria across our courtyard in less than a minute. The cafeteria has steel doors with really high windows. The problem is---only the custodian has a key to LOCK the cafeteria doors. I have been trying to get that problem corrected, but the district is not cooperating. It stays on my mind A LOT.
I would imagine a lot of teachers feel this way. I really don't think there are enough precautions in the world that can stop bad people from doing bad things.

I will be doing a lot of praying.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 16,066

My kids have these drills, plus a few "real" lockdowns. It doesn't bother them in the least - just like fire drills. Back in the day, kids had to go under their desks for the bomb threat drills (and all of our schools still have bomb shelters).

Considering the dangerous conditions in other countries, our kids have it made.
__________________
Me DH dd14 ds13 dd10 ds8 dd8
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
jaybirdsmommy
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJones View Post
That 'lockdown' procedure is all well and good IF the threat is outside the building. However, that would be the wrong thing to do if the threat was IN the building.

There is a new school of thought (no pun intended) that the safest thing to do in the event of an active shooter is to first, GET OUT if you can. Hide/barricade if you can't get out and Lastly, fight back as a last resort. In short... Don't be a sitting duck and wait your turn to be shot.

Most of these tragic events are over in minutes. Usually when the police arrive the bad guy takes himself out. Teachers need to be trained in evacuation, and what to do if you can't. Things like creating time between you and the bad guy... By slowing the bad guy down, you lower the casualties. The sad truth though it that they are there to do damage. And they will. Teachers and administration need to know how to cut down the casualties. Even if it means... <gasp> taking the bad guy out!!!!

Oddly enough, at this moment, they are talking about this very thing on TV.....

This is what the kids at my sons school (k-5) are being taught and I admit that while it unnerves me to think about, I think it's the right approach.

1. Get out (most of hte classrooms have emergency exits)
2. If they can't get out, then lock the door, turn off the lights, and sit quietly by the wall.
3. If the shooter (or whoever) gets in the room anyway, then they are to pick up whatever they can find and throw it at the persons head.
jaybirdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 14,081

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJones View Post
Teachers and administration need to know how to cut down the casualties. Even if it means... <gasp> taking the bad guy out!!!!
All of the administrators in our district received firearms training over the Summer. It's somewhat odd though as they have not been given approval to carry weapons, not does it appear they will be ever. So, I'm really not sure what the training was all about (and from the sounds of it, they are all equally confused).
__________________
Gumbo4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
All of the administrators in our district received firearms training over the Summer. It's somewhat odd though as they have not been given approval to carry weapons, not does it appear they will be ever. So, I'm really not sure what the training was all about (and from the sounds of it, they are all equally confused).
Yikes.
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.