Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
wannabemini
Mouseketeer

Just read a horrible review of Fireworks Dessert Party from last week-keep or cancel?

Ack! Booked this months ago for our last night at Disney, family doesn't know, meant for it to be a surprise! But just read a review on FB from someone who just went & said it totally was not worth it, couldn't hear the music, someone stole their table by moving place cards, CMs recognized the guest had done that but couldn't fix it, etc. Now I'm second guessing the expenditure??

Talk me down? Shoot me straight? We leave in 32 hours!!! Poop! I was so hoping this would be the magical ending to our magical trip, since its our last trip for a long while. :0(
Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I never make any decisions based on a single review of ANYTHING. If you feel the need to check additional reviews, I would try doing a search on this site. Not everyone enjoys the same things. The dessert party is no exception. For every person who dislikes the experience, there are lots who enjoy it.

Do a bit more research, if it will help you feel better about your choice.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

My mom and I attended this and thought it was great. Deserts were fresh and delicious, viewing couldn't be beat. Tinkerbell went right over our heads and it was so great to have our own space to just sit and relax and watch the castle show and fireworks without the crush of the crowd and 100 iPads waving around in our faces. I would do it again!
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Shock13
Mouseketeer

I did the Dessert Party twice. Once with just the two of us and we sat close to the rail and the other time with a larger group and further back. It was great both times! Plenty of desserts and stress-free.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock13 View Post
I did the Dessert Party twice. Once with just the two of us and we sat close to the rail and the other time with a larger group and further back. It was great both times! Plenty of desserts and stress-free.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Now the OP must go and report back to us.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
CapnJacksGirl
Mom to two little scalliwags!

If you read enough reviews, you'll find a horrible review of every single thing at WDW. I'm sure you researched the dessert party before booking, right? So, if it sounded then like something you and your family would enjoy, I'd go for it. You must have thought it was special to plan it as a surprise for your family. Everyone has different tastes and different tolerances of things that aren't absolutely perfect. If it were me, I'd get stick with it. You'll never know til you try!

Try not to stress about it and enjoy!

CapnJacksGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
peachiepie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJacksGirl View Post
If you read enough reviews, you'll find a horrible review of every single thing at WDW.
So agree with this!

I looked up so many reviews of everything before our last trip and got myself convinced everything we'd picked was going to end up terrible! But we had a wonderful time and didn't regret any of our choices.

As for the dessert party, we loved it...the view, the food, the convenience, everything. I've got DH to agree to another WDW trip, his only condition was that we booked the dessert party again!
peachiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
jaiminee krikit
Mouseketeer

We did the party last Christmas Eve, and IMO, it was totally worth it. I loved the desserts, I loved being able to watch the magical projection show on the castle from our seat, and I loved having somewhere to sit (comfortably) before the show.
I didn't love that as soon as the music started for Wishes, everyone ran to the railing - I had thought everyone would just stay in their seats (we were in the row furthest back and would have been able to see just fine). My daughter stood on her tiptoes for about 5 minutes before the people in the front noticed her and let her squeeze in between them. I also did not love that during the fireworks, cast members cleaned up our tables (we each had a drink and a few more treats left to finish). I also did not love that we ate a big dinner beforehand. Next time, the dessert party will be our dinner!
A couple of pointers - get up as soon as the music for Wishes starts playing to get a better view (unless you and your family are tall, then feel free to stand behind the shorter people LOL!), and if you are thirsty bring your drink with you to watch, but I wouldn't cancel it because of a few negative reviews. I've read a lot of complaints about things I love, and that doesn't make me love it any less!
Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
delmar411
DIS Veteran

The last time we did it, it was so bad that they actually refunded our money afterwards. The original party was great. I have no idea why they decided to change things up but it was a terrible decision.

Many ppl love it though so it really has to do with expectations/attitude and the type of experience you are looking for.

But if you go to the restaurants board you can find a TON of positive reviews and the thread showing how many ppl are just waiting for bookings to open up. So there is no shortage of ppl wanting to throw money at Disney for this party. LOL

Eat- we've done the party 4x, 2x in the original style and 2x in the current style.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire

Last edited by delmar411; 08-13-2013 at 10:08 AM.
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
BLLB

Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
The last time we did it, it was so bad that they actually refunded our money afterwards. The original party was great. I have no idea why they decided to change things up but it was a terrible decision.

Many ppl love it though so it really has to do with expectations/attitude and the type of experience you are looking for.

But if you go to the restaurants board you can find a TON of positive reviews and the thread showing how many ppl are just waiting for bookings to open up. So there is no shortage of ppl wanting to throw money at Disney for this party. LOL

Eat- we've done the party 4x, 2x in the original style and 2x in the current style.
We've been a couple of times, 2010 and 2012. Would you mind saying what the changes were? Just curious.

To the OP. We enjoyed the party both times and are definitely planning to do make reservations for 2014.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLLB View Post

We've been a couple of times, 2010 and 2012. Would you mind saying what the changes were? Just curious.

To the OP. We enjoyed the party both times and are definitely planning to do make reservations for 2014.
The original party had the desserts up on the 2nd deck and you could walk all around with plenty of space and light. The major change is that they moved it to where the entrance used to be and tucked it all within the old entrance and a post and put ppl's tables right up against it too. Like you can't walk around the carts anymore. Very awkward setup and there is no lighting there at all. There used to be just 2-3 tables in the area they have the entire setup in now.

DH video taped the area and that was part of the reason we were refunded. I didn't even know he was that upset about the whole thing until he went to City Hall the next day and met up with us and told me about the refund. He doesn't get upset easily so I was shocked he had gone and complained on his own with a video to back up his claims. LOL

Keep in mind we haven't gone back in a couple years. They may have changed it up again. Which I hope they have! LOL

These are pics of the original party buffet area:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/wishe...party/8893.htm
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire

Last edited by delmar411; 08-13-2013 at 11:06 AM.
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post

We went a few years ago and enjoyed the dessert party. I'm curious what they have changed in the meantime.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
ThinkTink09
Walt is my Homeboy

question answered above
POP Oct 2011 F&W + MNSSHP
POR Oct 2012 - Dining Review
POP March 2013
Wilderness Lodge October 2013

Last edited by ThinkTink09; 08-13-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Q answered when posting
ThinkTink09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
fflmaster
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

deleted since my question was answered

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: