DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Kcags
Mouseketeer

Will 100 pts be enough when kids in school

My hubby and I are just starting a family. We are 26. We are looking to buy a DVC resale for about 50 points so we could go to Disney every other year. The monthly dues won't be a problem since the contract is small. But i am worried once our future children are older, will 100 points for one trip be enough? I would hope for atleast a 6 night stay. We would probably have to go during busier times. Anyone else run into this or have suggestions? We'd really like to start the DVC but cant afford more than a small contract now. Thanks.
Kcags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Hi. There is no harm in buying a small contract now and adding to it later in fact the smaller contracts are worth more generally resale. If you are looking to stay in a studio for 6 days then I would imagine 100 points would be ok low season. But maybe not for mid or high season. We are a couple go every year for 14 days and have 185 points and that just about does a studio ( low season ) if we do a dcl cruise for 3 nights also. It depends which resort you stay in also for example AKV standard view is very good value.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
cajunprincess
DIS Veteran

We are in the same situation as you. We have a 6 month old and are looking into buying a small contract like that. I don't know that when DS is in school that our 50 pt contract is going to be enough for summer, but when that time comes, we can reevaluate and buy more points then. That's our strategy at least. I don't want to pay for points we don't need right now.
DCL Magic - February 2014
DCL Dream- February 2015
cajunprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

It depends on when you go and the size of the room as to whether you will get 6 nights.

Staying in a studio, for example, in summer at BWV, SV, it would be 108 points for the week--so yes, you can do 6 nights with that 100 points.

But, once you have a family, you may decide to move up in room size and can always add more points later.

Starting small is a great way to get into DVC and making sure its for you!

Good luck!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
DizBub
Totally Addicted

My daughter and her husband were planning a family when they bought 210 points because they knew they wanted to stay in a 1 bedroom once a year. That was important to them and they knew that once they had a child they would need the extra space. Now that they have a 2 year old they know they did what was right for them.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Kcags
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the good feedback. Yes, a studio room would be fine for a long time I think. I would prefer to stay more than 6 nights, but you are right, I can add on once we can afford it in the future.
Kcags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
jillmc40
Mouseketeer

Yes, we were always fine with a studio. Once the kiddos came...Not so much. When they are babies and in pack n play it is ok, but when you put them down for bedtime, you are sitting there staring at your hubby trying to be quite and tip-toeing around the room I don't want to go to bed at 8:00 on vacation!

Then when they get to toddler age it is nice to give them some breakfast in the room before getting out. My kids eat cheerios and bananas and I didn't want to spend 30.00 for them to eat cheerios while meeting characters. We do character lunch or dinner...

Plus laundry is a god send at that age!!!

Sorry for rambling, but my point is the studio is great before you have kids, then the baby/toddler phase you probably need larger, then maybe you could go back down when they are older? I would have a hard time going back to a studio...You get a little spoiled once you move up in size. I just bought 100 pts, but that is only to supplement an existing timeshare I have. We go at Easter for 3 nights after a week somewhere else (because of school) so the points are really high, then we go for a long weekend in a low season. I could see us adding on once we get the swing of it. I just wanted to get our feet in the door and see how it is first.

I think you have a good plan, just wanted to share how we plan to use it.

jillmc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Fantasia79
Mouseketeer

We're thinking of buying really soon (renting in March). Thinking about the same things as far as points. Is it easy to match up UY when adding on points? I was also thinking of getting points at 2 different resorts.

My first trip report! Flower & Garden Birthday Spectacular
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post51003637

Grand Floridian 88, 89 Fort Wilderness Lodge 90, 94 Off-Site (with group as HS Band Member) 97
Off-Site (with group as HS Band Director) 03, 07, Dec 09, Dec 13 Polynesian Aug 09 Coronado Springs Aug 11 (30th Birthday) Caribbean Beach Jan 12 Beach Club Villas Mar 14
Fantasia79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcags View Post
Thanks for the good feedback. Yes, a studio room would be fine for a long time I think. I would prefer to stay more than 6 nights, but you are right, I can add on once we can afford it in the future.
Think what you will find many people do - including us and our 190 pt OKW contract: Get there (via Car or Air) on a Saturday and stay off-site. Then, check in on Sunday. We then plan a park day, DTD or a Resort Hopper day for Sunday and check-in when the room is available.

Is expensive to check-in on Saturday or stay through Friday when you look at the Point requirements.

My Wife never likes moving from one hotel to DVC, but, it is a economic decision. Friday / Saturdays are expensive, and, we can get a better value off-site then on.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
joelp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My hubby and I are just starting a family. We are 26. We are looking to buy a DVC resale for about 50 points so we could go to Disney every other year. The monthly dues won't be a problem since the contract is small. But i am worried once our future children are older, will 100 points for one trip be enough? I would hope for atleast a 6 night stay. We would probably have to go during busier times. Anyone else run into this or have suggestions? We'd really like to start the DVC but cant afford more than a small contract now. Thanks.
50 points - with a plan to go every other year - should work out for 5-6 nights in a studio: check the point charts at the DVC resorts you will want to stay at and the times of year to confirm ...

Another thing to consider: with younger kids, they would probably enjoy a split stay at one of the Value Resorts (Animation, Movies, Sports most likely - depending on what they are into ...) So you could always tack on a few days at one of them (perhaps combined with a Free Dining offer to save $$ ...). My DD loved stepping out of our room at AS Movies and seeing those giant statues of Pongo and Perdida!

Finally - once you stay in a 1BR, it will be tough to go back. A full kitchen, washer/dryer, master bedroom/bath ... Plus, my DD likes having "her own room" - even it just has a sleeper sofa ... So avoid that 1BR as long as possible!!

Now you just have to decide on a Home Resort and UY ...

Have fun!!

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14

Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
joelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #11
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
It's not the contract or dues that will cost you, it's the years of luxury vacations at Disney. Owners tend to vacation more often than non owners and your transportation, tickets, special events, food, dues, and Disney extras can cost thousands per year and these cost increase each year.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

It will all depend on how you holiday, how many children you decide to have and it will probably be different depending on what ages they are.

For the moment you might get by on 100 points every other year. If you have three kids eventually you won't but if you only have one maybe.

All I can say is for our family of 5 to go every other year we own 375 points. but we like to have 2 bedroom villas so the teenage boys can have a room to them selves and we like to cook some nights and do laundry. We would probably do something else if we only had my daughter and she was still under 5.

I'm not sure at 26 you need to have a contract that fits all your future needs. Buy what you need for now if it isn't enough later add on or do a DVC combined with a cash stay or sell and do something else. once you have children your needs and desires change frequently I wouldn't even try and worry about it now.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
nalajms
DIS Veteran

Keep in mind that longer your stay mean more number of days on your tickets. Then next thing you know, you're asking yourself why aren't we getting the annual pass. And after you get the annual pass you'll think of additional trips to make the most of your annual pass.

Agree with the others - avoid the 1bd as long as you can. Once you stay there it's hard to go back to the studio.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
BenDiscipio
Earning My Ears

My family gets by with 100 points easily. I have 2 sons, ages 8 and 11...and we have stayed in Studios without any problem. Would a 1BR be nice? Sure...heck, a 2BR would be even nicer....but the studios are plenty of room for us for the amount of time we actually spend in the rooms...when most of us are already exhausted, especially the kids, from the days' events. When they were babies, it was probably more necessary to have a 1BR...

Depends on your priorities and what you feel you need.
BenDiscipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
DisneyDiana
DIS Veteran

We get a value studio at AKL every June which is only 95 points for 7 nights. You have to book at 11 months and be prepared for the small space. We love it though since we have been really lucky in getting a fantastic savannah view most of the time. We always prepare ourselves for parking lot view just in case.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: