Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Happy Wife, Happy Life?

While I'm not sure, that my understanding of this statement is accurate but, because I'm hearing it more of late, I thought I'd weigh in. So. . . Here goes.

Does this mean the wife or one partner, in the relationship will be happy only if, they are allowed to make the decisions. That the husband, or other partner realizing this makes it so.

If this is accurate, I will now describe my marriage. In the early yrs, I wanted things to be my way/choice. Then, as I got older, I realized this was not fair. We are fortunate in our likes and dislikes however, because I was a bit of a Tom boy. So DH's enjoyment of motorcycling was not an activity I would say no to.

Then, because I was raised by parents that were grew up near water. DH's desire to be on the water, (boating) was enjoyed by me as well.

We still have our differences. I enjoy little theater, he not so much, but will come with me just the same. Separate activities, one example: He likes roller coasters, I do not. So we will have a parting at amusement parks, meeting up later. Other differences like in music, foods, tv viewing.

However, we always find a way to make choices fair. This year we celebrated 43 yrs married.

If my understanding in the beginning is correct, Happy Wife ='s Happy Life, How does it work, for those whom live like this?
NFLDERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Sorry, thought I was on Community Forum. Hopefully, moderators will move it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
kapoof
DIS Veteran

This is an unusual question for a cruise board, but yes I guess happy wife is a happy life. Men seem to be less fussy with things and more laid back overall. As dh and I get older, his main concern is for me to be happy, and that in turn makes me do things for him that make him happy.

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoof View Post
This is an unusual question for a cruise board, but yes I guess happy wife is a happy life. Men seem to be less fussy with things and more laid back overall. As dh and I get older, his main concern is for me to be happy, and that in turn makes me do things for him that make him happy.
I would agree with this for how DH and I are.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
DisneyHolidayFan
DIS Veteran

Are you from the Chicago area? This is a common saying of Lou on a WGN radio show.
DisneyHolidayFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
McDonald5
Mouseketeer

I always took it to mean that if you do nice things to make your wife happy, she will do the same in return, therefore, happy life.

Sadly, after 10 yrs, my husband hasn't figured this out yet...

Disney Fantasy - 7 night Western Caribbean Oct-Nov 2013
McDonald5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyHolidayFan View Post
Are you from the Chicago area? This is a common saying of Lou on a WGN radio show.
No, Canadian.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
SeattleSuz
DIS Veteran

This statement really bothers me, but I suppose it's just cause I hear it constantly from my BIL and my brother both, and they've both completely lost any backbone they had and have left their b@ll$ in their wives purses. KWIM? I don't think that's a fair statement at all. A marriage is a mutual partnership, where both parties make decisions and run things by the other before doing certain things. The two people who I see use this phrase have VERY strained marriages. Granted, they are still rather young and have fairly young marriages, but whatever.

But different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Suz (40) DH-Matt (38) DD-Ariel (6)
SeattleSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

I always figured it was more of a piece of "choose carefully and treat well" advice to men. If they pick a woman who is never content, marrying her won't fix things.
If you choose to make your wife unhappy, your life probably won't be a happy life. KWIM?

I'm happy with the mutual partnership idea. Where both of us put each other's well being before your own...it's complicated and unnatural at first to always think like that, but generally satisfying in that we both feel well regarded and loved.
Almost ten years married.
Thirteen years since our first date.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

I always assumed it was a tongue in cheek saying that men use in a knowing fashion amongst themselves about the "sacrifices" they make for happiness. I never use it myself as it seems gauche, but that's just me.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Kendal
DIS Veteran

U have a sign I this on my wall I bought for my wife for Christmas it's a hand painted sign I see it everyday when I wake up and walk out of my bedroom... I use it for a guide for the day lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: