Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
bebelle
DIS Veteran
 
bebelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 1200 miles from the magic
Posts: 895

Please don't wrap the gift???

Just received an invitation to a wedding shower. The invitation said to not wrap the gift in order to save time. The shower is from 1:00-4:00 in a small church basement. What could possibly take so long? We will be there for three hours. There could not be that many people invited. The space is very small. Has anyone ever heard of this idea before?
__________________
If I were any happier, I'd be in heaven!
bebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,244

A coworker's niece is getting married, she told me its the new trend for showers. I had never heard of it either. Part of the fun of going to a shower is seeing the bride open the gifts.
__________________
DebbieB is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,935

I long for the days when invitations didn't dictate what to buy, where to buy it, or how to present it. Invitations seem to have too many demands nowadays.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!
 
JessicaR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 15,825

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I long for the days when invitations didn't dictate what to buy, where to buy it, or how to present it. Invitations seem to have too many demands nowadays.
That was my first thought reading this too. Seems to be a trend we can't avoid.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
MaryAnnDVC
"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless
 
MaryAnnDVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RGBBLA
Posts: 15,433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcricket Fan View Post
I love when I open these threads about showers because I then get to fondly remember the bridal shower I went to where the grooms family physically brought the washer & dryer they bought for the happy couple to the shower!

They really did...they unloaded the washer & dryer from a big truck and brought them into the reception hall. It's not as if the shower was at the furture bride's home so the washer & dryer would be left there. The family brought the W & D in and then took them out when the shower was over!

I had never seen anything like this in my life before. 25 yrs. later I still remember it like it was yesterday.

In keeping with the theme of the OP the Washer & Dryer weren't wrapped by the way!
A nice computer printout with a picture would have sufficed.

Please don't tell me wrapping is going out of style. I just made a wrapping organizer I found on Pinterest.

I'd feel better about some new trends in showers if it wasn't like all etiquette has gone out the window. I went to a shower a while back (2008, because I just searched and found the thread I posted about it) that would have given Emily Post a stroke...Jack & Jill Greenback bridal shower for 180 of their dearest and closest friends (DH worked with the bride's dad), followed by printed thank you notes sent in envelopes with computer generated address labels, followed by a wedding with a money dance. Uy.

I guess I'd be OK with the OP's invite regarding not wrapping a gift, as I lean more towards being environmentally friendly. But honestly, I do enjoy watching gift opening (especially for a bayyyybbeee ) (let me just add...their FIRST baby ), as long as it's not some ridiculously large boring event that feels like a gift grab.

It's easy to say "don't go" but sometimes you just might have to bite the bullet and go for whatever reasons, and follow "the rule" set forth for the shower. But no matter what, there should ALWAYS be hand-written thank you notes from the guest of honor sent to the gift giver. (And I specify GOH because we once drove 400 miles round trip in a day for a graduation party, without the GOH present (his mom didn't confirm his availability for his own party), and then got a pre-printed thank you, signed with just his name (by HIM, thankfully ), and addressed by his mother. )
__________________
MaryAnnDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,681

I actually just went to a baby shower today that asked us not to wrap the gifts. She's a close friend of mine. She said it was for two reasons. The first was to be "green" and not waste paper. The second was that she didn't want to make people sit through the long gift-opening process so they just put all the unwrapped gifts on a table to be displayed. No problems with it on my end!

ETA: I just read the above posts. It's definitely a generational thing. A lot of folks in my age group (I'm 30) aren't opening the gifts in front of everyone anymore. The last few baby and wedding showers I've been to didn't do it and I can't say I mind at all. I actually hate that part, especially if you didn't spend as much as everyone else.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran
 
ilovemk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I actually just went to a baby shower today that asked us not to wrap the gifts. She's a close friend of mine. She said it was for two reasons. The first was to be "green" and not waste paper. The second was that she didn't want to make people sit through the long gift-opening process so they just put all the unwrapped gifts on a table to be displayed. No problems with it on my end!

ETA: I just read the above posts. It's definitely a generational thing. A lot of folks in my age group (I'm 30) aren't opening the gifts in front of everyone anymore. The last few baby and wedding showers I've been to didn't do it and I can't say I mind at all. I actually hate that part, especially if you didn't spend as much as everyone else.

These type of events just scream - GIFT GRAB!!!!!!
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post

These type of events just scream - GIFT GRAB!!!!!!
How? Because there's no wrapping paper? So if they were wrapped the event wouldn't be an excuse for gifts? Isn't that exactly what a baby shower is?
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,149

LOL I forgot about the dreaded "bow bouquet!" No wrapping also eliminates those silly games like "gift bingo!"

I wish I had done the no wrapping at my shower, I hated being in front of everyone while I unwrapped. I hate attention on me and felt pressured to hurry so I could get it over with and people could get on with their day.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran
 
ilovemk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
LOL I forgot about the dreaded "bow bouquet!" No wrapping also eliminates those silly games like "gift bingo!"

I wish I had done the no wrapping at my shower, I hated being in front of everyone while I unwrapped. I hate attention on me and felt pressured to hurry so I could get it over with and people could get on with their day.
Wouldn't it have been easier to not have the shower?
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran
 
ilovemk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
How? Because there's no wrapping paper? So if they were wrapped the event wouldn't be an excuse for gifts? Isn't that exactly what a baby shower is?
They actually thank you for the gift when they open it. This way they don't want to put out any effort in getting a gift.
ilovemk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran
 
sonnyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post

They actually thank you for the gift when they open it. This way they don't want to put out any effort in getting a gift.
So what you're saying is the joy isn't in actually giving a gift to a loved one, but rather in being publicly recognized for doing so? I assure you that thank you cards will be sent. There just wasn't any public praise for each gift.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 8,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
These type of events just scream - GIFT GRAB!!!!!!
The point of a baby shower IS to give gifts.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 45,369

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
The point of a baby shower IS to give gifts.
Stop with the logic already!
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Kernersville, NC
Posts: 4,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
the point of a baby shower is to give gifts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mystery machine View Post
stop with the logic already!
lolololol
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: