Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Monorail Bob's dd
DIS Veteran

Can you use dining credits on friends?

I have a question for a client of mine who has the deluxe dining plan. They want to know if you can use dining credits to pay for friends who are meeting them for dinner at Flying Fish. They will have credits to spare and would like to cover their friends. I asked Disney Dining directly and got a mixed bag/gray area sort of answer. They technically you can only use it for the people on the plan but followed that up by saying restaurants typically do allow it. Has anyone here had experience with doing this? Thank you!

Poly - '80, '84, '91, CR - '87, '88, BW Villas - '97, POFQ - '07, Marriott Grand Vista - '09, CSR - '10
BWI CL - '11, Yacht Club - '12, AKL - March, 2013, Poly - August, 2013
Old 07-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Never been on the plan but my question how is this different then my dad taking me out to eat when he is in town
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
noahdove
DIS Veteran

I guess it will depend on the server and how many credits will be left. Just ask...or, maybe it won't come up. I tell them I am on the dining plan when CM asks for our choices... I do see it as a problem as it tells on the card how many credits left..so....good luck..
Old 07-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Monorail Bob's dd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahdove View Post
I guess it will depend on the server and how many credits will be left. Just ask...or, maybe it won't come up. I tell them I am on the dining plan when CM asks for our choices... I do see it as a problem as it tells on the card how many credits left..so....good luck..
Thank you. They will definitely have enough credits to cover their friends, they were just wondering if it was allowed.

Poly - '80, '84, '91, CR - '87, '88, BW Villas - '97, POFQ - '07, Marriott Grand Vista - '09, CSR - '10
BWI CL - '11, Yacht Club - '12, AKL - March, 2013, Poly - August, 2013
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

No, you cannot use your credits to purchase meals for people not on your room reservation. It's clearly stated in the DDP/DxDP brochure (page 6):

Quote:
Q. Can I use my Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in my reservation or have not purchased a Disney dining plan?
A. Sorry, you may not use your Disney Dining Plan to redeem meals for friends or family members who are not included in your reservation or have not purchased a Disney dining plan.
Sorry, but this is the official policy of Disney and it's against the Disboard rules to discuss methods of getting around the rules.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
ConnieB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post
No, you cannot use your credits to purchase meals for people not on your room reservation. It's clearly stated in the DDP/DxDP brochure (page 6):

Sorry, but this is the official policy of Disney and it's against the Disboard rules to discuss methods of getting around the rules.
I don't think OP was asking for a way to get around the rules....but whether this was a rule that is actually enforced or not. Kinda like the old FP use it all day rule.....it was the official rule, but never enforced....now of course it's enforced.

Disney has a lot of official policies that they openly ignore.....and so letting others know that Disney doesn't pay attention to their own rules isn't trying to get around the rule. OP said she called Disney and even THEY said it's a grey area, lol.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
Fantaluminishes
To all who come to this happy place, welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment_jii View Post

I think it's obvious that the OP was just asking a question. Not sure why you would think they were/are trying to break any rules. I believe your tone could have been a little less harsh in your response, rather than assuming that the OP was blatently violating disboards policy.

DLR 100+ times since '67. WDW: '97 - '01, '12 and '13 ASMU, Ft. WL, CSR, AKL, WL, (and off-site twice)
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
ConnieB
DIS Veteran

I think the problem isn't that there are enough credits left....but that the dining plan will show that there are "x" number of people on the plan. And "the rules" say that only those on the plan can use the credits.

Now...if your friend is traveling in a party of 4 on the same dining plan, I know that they won't know WHO shows up for dinner. So...let's use the scenario that mom, dad, and two teens are on the dining plan.....as far as Disney is concerned that is 4 adults. So if mom, dad and two friends go to dinner, that's still 4 adults.

The problem arrives when mom, dad, two teens, and two friends show up.....that's 6 adults and the dining plan is for 4 adults.

We did it once but not on purpose. A friend joined us for dinner. I did tell the server that three of us were on the plan and one wasn't.....but when the bill came 4 credits had been used. I was pleasantly surprised but hadn't even thought it was possible, lol.

So I guess the big question is how embarrassing it might be if your friends are told at the end of the meal that only the number of people on the plan can use the credits......the others will have to pay cash. If it would be embarrassing, I would not do it....if it's one of those friendships where you can say before you go "well, let's see if they'll let us use the credits, if not, we'll split the bill" or something, then go for it, because you don't have much to lose. So long as they know there is a chance they'll not be allowed and are ok with that, then whatever happens works.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellandeeyor View Post
Never been on the plan but my question how is this different then my dad taking me out to eat when he is in town
My opinion of this, and I could be completely off, is that Disney does not want people "splitting" a DDP to save money. They obviously want each person to pay for their own DDP which may or may not be overpriced based on their eating habits.

Disney has no way of knowing if using credits to pay for family or friends is a one time "treat" or if 4 adults are actually somehow splitting 2 DDPs for an entire trip.

Of course, it would probably be difficult for adults to share the QSDP or even regular DDP without starving/supplementing with OOP, but I would think that the DxDP is very feasible. Is it economical? I have no idea.

Just my 2 cents! :

2014 Coast to Coast Goal: Full marathon Jan 2014 & Dumbo Double Dare Aug 2014!
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

Still trying to see how this is different then some one treating to someone in the real world
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Still trying to see how this is different then some one treating to someone in the real world
the DDP is assigned to specific individuals on the same MYW package.

DDP credits are not transferable. not the same thing as someone paying cash or using a GC to pay for someone's meal
Old 07-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

They will not be able to use more credits than they have persons on the dining plan.

If they have 5 persons on the plan and 7 persons at the table, they will not be able to purchase any more than 5 meals using the dining plan.

It's different because Disney has made that a rule for the dining plan - that the credits are to be used to feed your party and your party only. It's written in the brochure. For that reason, whether it's been allowed on occasion at indvidual restaurants or not, there is a rule on the Restaurant board that going around Disney's rule won't be discussed.

Quote:
I don't think OP was asking for a way to get around the rules....but whether this was a rule that is actually enforced or not.
Because the rule is so clearly set forth in the brochure, it is policy on this board not to distinguish between the two.

I'm also going to close this thread now because it's not about answering the question anymore.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
smbowtie
Been there done that, gonna do it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monorail Bob's dd View Post
I have a question for a client of mine who has the deluxe dining plan. They want to know if you can use dining credits to pay for friends who are meeting them for dinner at Flying Fish. They will have credits to spare and would like to cover their friends. I asked Disney Dining directly and got a mixed bag/gray area sort of answer. They technically you can only use it for the people on the plan but followed that up by saying restaurants typically do allow it. Has anyone here had experience with doing this? Thank you!
Don't know about the deluxe but we have used out quick dining for friends. The way it works is if a couple is staying 5 days that gives you 10 meals say. Disney doesn't care if you eat all of them in one day, you just won't have any left for the rest of your stay. We have gone to diner and given my wifes card to our friends. When we order I have them put both of ours on my card, when our friends order they just have them put it on her card. 4 meals total, as long as there was 4 left on the plan. Never had a problem.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Because you are opting to use the dining plan and thus have to abide by the rules set by Disney.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 07-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbowtie View Post
Don't know about the deluxe but we have used out quick dining for friends. The way it works is if a couple is staying 5 days that gives you 10 meals say. Disney doesn't care if you eat all of them in one day, you just won't have any left for the rest of your stay. We have gone to diner and given my wifes card to our friends. When we order I have them put both of ours on my card, when our friends order they just have them put it on her card. 4 meals total, as long as there was 4 left on the plan. Never had a problem.
Yes, because you're using two cards. If you tried to order more meals than people on a single card you would be denied. Disney does care WHO uses the credits or they wouldn't have a policy about it.

Op, as previously explained its against policy and Disney won't charge more credits at one time than people on your KTTW. You're welcome to ask, but since CMs are putting their own neck out to go around Disney policy you're more than likely going to be met with a no, and I'd make sure they know that going in.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: