Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
JetsetJAK
Mouseketeer

"Journey Into Imagination Starring Figment" to close 1/2/14 for year-long renovation?

Hey folks, I didn't see a thread here discussing this so figured I'd start one (sorry if there's already one that I missed).

Saw a post on The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia Facebook page about the Imagination pavilion at Epcot closing on January 2nd, 2014. You can see the post HERE. It says "The Captain EO show will not reopen, while the ride and retail location are rumored to remain closed for one year for renovations".

Anybody else hear anything about this, or have any idea what Disney might be planning?

Fall '89 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Spring '94 - offsite (Orlando Twin Towers)
Fall '00 - offsite (Delta Orlando Resort)
Fall '10 - All-Star Movies
FALL '12 - ALL-STAR MUSIC
JetsetJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetJAK View Post
Hey folks, I didn't see a thread here discussing this so figured I'd start one (sorry if there's already one that I missed).

Saw a post on The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia Facebook page about the Imagination pavilion at Epcot closing on January 2nd, 2014. You can see the post HERE. It says "The Captain EO show will not reopen, while the ride and retail location are rumored to remain closed for one year for renovations".

Anybody else here anything about this, or have any idea what Disney might be planning?
Hadn't heard that one before. But then I hadn't heard about AP holders being limited to 20 FP+'s per quarter either.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Maleficent Dragon
ºoº A wondrous future lies before you! ºoº

This is a fantastic closure and a good amount of time to get some real stuff done.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

While it would be nice to see the Imagination pavilion refurbished and something more done with the ImageWorks area, I'd take this as a rumor and treat it with a grain of salt. There have been several "rumors" that said Imagination is closing for various reasons over the years and so far, none of them have been true.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

I'm hoping this one isn't true just because I am going in January 2014 and I wanted to check out this pavilion since I remember nothing from it.

I've realized since joining the DIS that there is a lot of stuff in future world that I always miss!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
figment80
Mouseketeer

If this ends up being true, very glad I made the trip last month.
figment80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
IndyDisney
Mouseketeer

Touring Plans Disney Dish mentioned this on a podcast a bit ago. Rumors include a retooled Dreamfinder with Jack Black (unlikely) to a Phineas and Ferb overhaul. I would think they'd save Figment - he sells too much plush, but who knows.

Again, just rumor. Take it as you will.

Cheers,
Indy
Member #592

'90 Caribbean Beach,'92 Dixie Landing,'93 Port Orleans, '94 Boardwalk, '95 Port Orleans, '96 & '97 Wilderness Lodge, '98 Disney Institute, '00 Polynesian, '05 POFQ, '10 POP, '11 Coronado Springs, '14 Animal Kingdom Lodge & Yacht Club

Next Trip: June 2015 - POP
IndyDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I've heard several rumors of a phineas and ferb themed area or even phineas and ferb getting put into figment. I don't want figment touched its classic i think it needs to stay close to the same. Captain EO I can see going I'm fine with that. But when figment comes into the question and rumors are flying about what's going to happen to figment I'm not happy with that.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
andyman8
DIS Veteran

I'm not so sure about this one. I've not heard too much about this, but from what I understand, rumors are indicating two potential options.

Option 1 - Phineas & Ferb - One belief is that P&F could come in and revamp the pavilion, while retaining its theme. Although I really like this idea, you've got to remember that P&F has been around since '07, so while it's still popular, Disney is really proceeding with caution regarding any future theme parks matters involving it as they're is a concern within the company, to the best of my knowledge, that P&F could begin to fade within the next year or so as the show continually ages. With the notable exceptions of SpongeBob and Fairly OddParents, modern cartoons seem to, on average, live for three years.

Option 2 - iMagination hosted by Apple - I think we'd all love to see Apple return to the parks (remember the Innovnetions display?) and considering the companies are very close, it wouldn't be a stretch to see Apple come into the parks. With that in mind, the idea of a pavilion solely hosted by Apple is a bit challenging for Disney Imagineers, for theming a ride around Apple (and still making it fun and interesting for the masses) is hard. I've heard a lot about a Future Fest of sorts coming to Epcot sponsored by Apple. That seems to be more likely than "iMagination".

With all that in mind, I don't see anything significant happening if this does go down for refurbishment. I can't say a refurb won't happen, but if it does (which is still a big if), it won't come back with a radically different theme.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
anelson81993
Mouseketeer

Disney Tourist Blog posted an article (mostly just speculation about what could be done in the pavilion) about the rumored closure/refurbishment today:

ETA: Full link won't show, but it's the top article at the Disney Tourist Blog website.

Last edited by anelson81993; 07-23-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Link problems
anelson81993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #11
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

Ive never seen EO and have no desire to. We ride figment every once in awhile but not every time we go to the park. I honestly haven't fully explored that pavilion.

However, it would be nice to get something really new and exciting in there.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerboy00 View Post
Ive never seen EO and have no desire to. We ride figment every once in awhile but not every time we go to the park. I honestly haven't fully explored that pavilion.

However, it would be nice to get something really new and exciting in there.
Not much to explore, at least not without going out of bounds for guests

On the theater side, you basically stand in a long hallway area for a while, then you go into the very large pre-show area and watch a "making of" video (that area is big enough to be its own theater), and then you go into the theater itself Although there is some decoration to the theater to match EO, it's all rather nondescript.

I never saw Captain EO on its initial run...saw it twice when it came back...once only because I never saw it and was killing time before heading home, had a Fastpass, and needed to sit for a while (wasn't feeling well...at a party over at Universal, I ate something that turned out to have strawberries in it, which I'm allergic too...fortunately realized it before ingesting too much). THe second time was ONLY because the family hadn't seen it yet.

It was, frankly, horrible. And I grew up on 80s music and MTV. The quality of the video was poor, the special effects was poor...the asteroid looked like a rock from someone's back yard. If George Lucas was ashamed of the Star Wars Holiday Special, which he had little to do with, I can't imagine he hasn't disowned this...

I think closing Captain EO would actually be an improvement, because it at least brings the hope that something else might happen...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Not much to explore, at least not without going out of bounds for guests

On the theater side, you basically stand in a long hallway area for a while, then you go into the very large pre-show area and watch a "making of" video (that area is big enough to be its own theater), and then you go into the theater itself Although there is some decoration to the theater to match EO, it's all rather nondescript.

I never saw Captain EO on its initial run...saw it twice when it came back...once only because I never saw it and was killing time before heading home, had a Fastpass, and needed to sit for a while (wasn't feeling well...at a party over at Universal, I ate something that turned out to have strawberries in it, which I'm allergic too...fortunately realized it before ingesting too much). THe second time was ONLY because the family hadn't seen it yet.

It was, frankly, horrible. And I grew up on 80s music and MTV. The quality of the video was poor, the special effects was poor...the asteroid looked like a rock from someone's back yard. If George Lucas was ashamed of the Star Wars Holiday Special, which he had little to do with, I can't imagine he hasn't disowned this...

I think closing Captain EO would actually be an improvement, because it at least brings the hope that something else might happen...
I saw EO in Dinseyland back in the late 80's (89, maybe?). It was, I think, the first 3d movie I'd ever seen of that type. For that,it was impressive. But I remember thinking the effets were not nearly as impressive as my beloved Return of the Jedi.

We saw it again, last trip, because my kids had never seen it and I was up for a little nostalgia. We laughed...because the costuming is so 1980's, and the effects are so cheesy, it's like watching a good "bad" B-movie (SHARKNADO!!). But I don't think we'd go see it again. Once (OK, twice for me, I guess) was enough.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #14
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
I've heard several rumors of a phineas and ferb themed area or even phineas and ferb getting put into figment. I don't want figment touched its classic i think it needs to stay close to the same. Captain EO I can see going I'm fine with that. But when figment comes into the question and rumors are flying about what's going to happen to figment I'm not happy with that.
Ditto...;0)

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast

I'd just like the ride updated with a downgrade to the older version with both Dreamfinder and Figment. Of course, they should update all the tech and scenes to keep it fresh.

Phineas and Ferb would be perfect as a replacement 3D show for EO, I'd actually really like that.

It'd also be nice if they'd do something new with the post ride area as well as the upstairs area. It's wasted space upstairs, and that space is too cool to waste.

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney

DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: