Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
isabelle315
Earning My Ears

Unhappy Locked out of Poly for honeymoon - what to do??

Ugh, just got off the phone with CS - tried to switch my Poly reservation in October to the Armed Forces Salute, and the CM told me the Poly has already met its quota for AFS rooms and there aren't any left!!! I'm so sad!

We'll be there for a week in October - me, my fiance, and my 5-year old daughter for our "familymoon". We picked the Poly because we've never stayed there, it is SO convenient for afternoon breaks, and we wanted an amazing and special resort for our honeymoon that would also be cool for my daughter.

Now I'm debating what to do. Of course I'll call periodically to check for cancellations....but I probably ought to make another reservation in the mean time. Paying full price is just not an option.

So - what do you think?? I am definitely considering AK savannah view - they are available - but... I'm so worried about the transportation being a problem. We were so psyched for the monorail! How bad (slow) is the transportation really? We'll be visiting MK twice, the other 3 parks once each.

What do you all think about GF for kids?

I've heard Wilderness Lodge is pretty awesome theme-wise, but, again, transportation...?

What would you do?

Julie
isabelle315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
wahmtexas
Mouseketeer

We love WL because you can boat to the MK and the buses are great there
Sept.2010: Carribbean Beach, 3d trip with my kids
Dec. 2012 Art Of Animation, Cars Suite Lovin my work at home business paying for our Disney addiction!
Dec. 2013 POFQ, Surprise trip for kids! Loved POFQ!
Nov. 2014 CBR with free dining!(may upgrade to WL our favorite)
wahmtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle315 View Post
Ugh, just got off the phone with CS - tried to switch my Poly reservation in October to the Armed Forces Salute, and the CM told me the Poly has already met its quota for AFS rooms and there aren't any left!!! I'm so sad!

We'll be there for a week in October - me, my fiance, and my 5-year old daughter for our "familymoon". We picked the Poly because we've never stayed there, it is SO convenient for afternoon breaks, and we wanted an amazing and special resort for our honeymoon that would also be cool for my daughter.

Now I'm debating what to do. Of course I'll call periodically to check for cancellations....but I probably ought to make another reservation in the mean time. Paying full price is just not an option.

So - what do you think?? I am definitely considering AK savannah view - they are available - but... I'm so worried about the transportation being a problem. We were so psyched for the monorail! How bad (slow) is the transportation really? We'll be visiting MK twice, the other 3 parks once each.

What do you all think about GF for kids?

I've heard Wilderness Lodge is pretty awesome theme-wise, but, again, transportation...?

What would you do?

Julie
I think you'll be fine on transportation in October.

My recommendation would be to switch now to some place you're happy with using the discount and keep checking to switch back to the Poly if you absolutely won't stay there at the price you have now. That way your second choice doesn't fill up as well.

I'm not a personal fan of the GF - it's just not my style. I don't think it's bad for kids though. It's Disney after all!

My first choice out of what you listed would be Savannah view at the AKL, but I LOVE that resort and there is something really special about waking up to animals with your coffee.

People seem to love WL - I don't really think you can go wrong.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Kae
DIS Veteran

Savannah View at AKL is awesome. WL is great to we never had Transpo problems at either.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Discounts like that are limited to so many rooms and they go fast.
I think the Animal Kingdom Lodge is a great resort and I love the food there but the transportation and the isolation (not being able to walk or ride a monorail to other resorts) is why it is not at the top of my list.

I also have never been a fan of the GF and there were times I could get in there cheaper than the Polynesian but I just can’t stay there. Every time I have visited people at the GF in their room I just did not get a feel like I wanted to be there. I would personally pic the Contemporary over it any day. I stayed in this huge garden wing deluxe room last year and loved it, even more than my tower room this last May. It was cheaper than the standard view room at the Polynesian and the room was huge. I can send you a link to my report with photos if you’re interested. There are not very many rooms like that but it would give you guys lots of room to spread out and a huge bathroom with a tub/ shower and a stand up shower.

Wilderness lodge is not a bad choice and transportation is a little better than the AKL but my next pic would be Beach Club.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
isabelle315
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the responses so far. I think it'd be between WL and AKL.... man, this screws up some dining reservations, too!!

One other issue is that we planned on using the childcare center at Poly one night so that we could dine at Victoria and Alberts....do either of WL or AKL have a childcare center? I know there's a small one at GF, and I suppose we could take my daughter with us and drop her there while we eat, but I've heard the center at GF isn't very good! (at least not compared to the one at Poly).

I guess I'll have to make a phone call to CS every few days to check for an opening at Poly - too bad I can't check online!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far. I think it'd be between WL and AKL.... man, this screws up some dining reservations, too!!

One other issue is that we planned on using the childcare center at Poly one night so that we could dine at Victoria and Alberts....do either of WL or AKL have a childcare center? I know there's a small one at GF, and I suppose we could take my daughter with us and drop her there while we eat, but I've heard the center at GF isn't very good! (at least not compared to the one at Poly).

I guess I'll have to make a phone call to CS every few days to check for an opening at Poly - too bad I can't check online!
There are activity centers at AKL and WL - so either of your choices. I'd keep your reservations for dining. It won't be a huge deal to get there.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/re...ivity-centers/
Old 07-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:

You can still use the Kids Club at the Poly - just stop there and drop her off, and then continue on to GF. But the one at BOTH AKL and WL are fantastic. My kids loved all 3. We are trying Sandcastle Club this time coming up...

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:

we always stay at the CR...that said our neighbor stayed at the WL with his 5YO son in April...the neighbor is not a big Disney guy but could not stop gushing about the WL- absolutely loved it...said he and his so loved the boat ride over from the WL and the overpass they rode (he's a big time real estate developer and was impressed)...
Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Honestly, a lot of times the bus service is better than the monorail right now. Because of super increased safety measures, maintenance, construction, crowds, and decreased hours, the monorail service is not in its prime. It's not uncommon to get on the monorail and have it stop on the track for 10-20-30 minutes.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Rose23
Epcot Fan

Voting for Contemporary...

If you go with the Contemporary, you will have the option of walking back from a magically romantic night at the Magic Kingdom after watching fireworks.

Also, you'll all enjoy the water parade on the Lagoon at the Contemporary.

Daughter will love Chef Mickeys!

Best Wishes!
Rose23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

They have just put the new information in the system for the program yesterday, I would call another CM and if they tell you the same thing, then switch, but keep calling, something should open up. We've had luck doing this several times.

People cancel all the time, probably military more so than others, with unexpected orders and duty and other people changing their resorts to get the deal somewhere else.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
chocolateavocado
Mouseketeer

I'm a total newbie- with our 1st wdw trip booked for nov of this year- and i could be totally off with this, not knowing anything at all about the military discounts...but, if you can't get your discount for the poly with the military discount- and you really want that resort, could you try to book on 8/1 with the rumored free dining discount or the rumored possible room only discount? From what I read on the other boards, each discount seems to have it's own pool which it comes out of, so maybe one of those discounts next week *might* help? Just a thought....

Either way, I'm sure you'll have a magical fmilymoon!!

1st WDW trip- Nov 2014 @ The Polynesian
chocolateavocado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
isabelle315
Earning My Ears

Just called again - Contemporary is also blocked out now, as is Beach Club.

So, unless we go below Deluxe level (we've only ever stayed at AoA, and loved it, but looking for a little more fanciness for this trip) we have -

AKL savannah room - obviously the big PROs there are the restaurants and the animal view. Con, I guess, is slightly longer transportation to the parks.

WL courtyard view - a few hundred bucks cheaper, on the lagoon, and a little closer to MK. Con to me seems like not so many great restaurants. How hard is it to get from WL to Poly, so we could still eat at Ohana and Kona Cafe?

Thanks again, guys, for your help.

BTW aaarcher - I grew up in (and still visit) Columbus/Westerville!! O-H!!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Just called again - Contemporary is also blocked out now, as is Beach Club.

So, unless we go below Deluxe level (we've only ever stayed at AoA, and loved it, but looking for a little more fanciness for this trip) we have -

AKL savannah room - obviously the big PROs there are the restaurants and the animal view. Con, I guess, is slightly longer transportation to the parks.

WL courtyard view - a few hundred bucks cheaper, on the lagoon, and a little closer to MK. Con to me seems like not so many great restaurants. How hard is it to get from WL to Poly, so we could still eat at Ohana and Kona Cafe?

Thanks again, guys, for your help.

BTW aaarcher - I grew up in (and still visit) Columbus/Westerville!! O-H!!
It's not hard to get to the Poly from WL, take the bus or boat to MK and hop on the resort monorail. If you are going for an early breakfast prior to park opening, sometimes the MK bus driver will just drop you off at the Poly, they did that for us one morning, as we were the only people on the bus.

The WL is beautiful and so romantic in the evening. Check CL rates, we got a great deal for our upcoming trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: