Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Ahoy, Kids! Scrap the Summer Plans...We're Sailing with Mickey to Alaska! (Upd 9/8)

Hello! My name is Lauren, and we are fresh off the Disney Wonder (sailed 7/8). Reading trip reports here on the Dis helped make our experience amazing, so I thought I would start one of my own. I plan to include lots of details and pictures, so feel free to join in as I share our trip!

Cast:

Lauren (39)

I am the Disney-loving parent in our family. I love knowing that we can always count on Disney customer service, and that our vacation will have something that appeals to all of us. I am on a restricted diet, primarily for gluten intolerance, so I also appreciate that Disney looks after guests with special diets so wonderfully! I will confess that I cheated some on this cruise (with my doctor's permission), but I have cruised with Disney and stayed true to my diet. (I will post links to my blog where I wrote about our last cruise soon). I am also a bit obsessive-compulsive about planning; I am not a go-with-the flow kind of gal! WDW is my first love, but this was my third Disney cruise, and DCL is quickly becoming one of my favorite ways to vacation.

DH (39)

DH enjoys WDW because he likes to see me and our two kids happy, but DCL is much more his speed. He enjoys having time to relax, and he really enjoyed the scenery on this trip. Pictures with Mickey aren't high on his list, but he is always willing to oblige his Disney-loving family. Although not quite as obsessive about planning as I am, he is still a scheduled kind of guy. Not much spontaneity going on with us!

DS (11)

My son is a lot like his dad and me. Very scheduled and likes routine. Not a risk-taker at all. He can navigate and plan for the Disney parks like a pro, and loves poring over the DCL Navigators to check out the daily plans. Of course, even with all the activities on the ship, his favorite is playing basketball on the sports deck!

DD (8)

Our daughter is the one that adds all the excitement to our family. She moves at her own pace and is filled with drama and spunk. She is passionate and emotionally charged, but also loving and ready for hugs. She definitely pushes her brother's buttons (sometimes on purpose, sometimes accidentally), and this led to quite a few issues over the course of 11-days of non-stop togetherness!

As the title of our post suggests, this trip was last-minute for us (which is not something that my non-spontaneous husband or self would normally do), but we were able to grab a VGT rate at 31 days out, and we couldn't pass that up. We ditched our summer trip to San Francisco and Yosemite, and boarded the Disney Wonder instead.

To read more about the details of our planning, you can find the short pre-trip report here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3124894

I'm still putting up laundry and sorting through pictures, but I'll be back soon for an update!

Edited to add: I am finally adding the links to my blog. If you are interested in reading about our Dream cruise, you can use the link. I did not write about it on the Disboards.

http://www.baseballsandbows.com/2013...-part-one.html

http://www.baseballsandbows.com/2013...-part-two.html

http://www.baseballsandbows.com/2013...art-three.html

http://www.baseballsandbows.com/2013...part-four.html

http://www.baseballsandbows.com/2013...er-part-5.html

http://www.baseballsandbows.com/2013...l-chapter.html

Last edited by MickeyMomTo2; 10-27-2013 at 02:06 PM.
MickeyMomTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Looking forward to hearing more!
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

I'm totally excited to hear about your trip and see the pictures.

I tried to convince my 16 yr-old son that he'd LOVE a cruise to Alaska, but he said he'd rather go to WDW and be able to ride the rides and other stuff. I can understand that.

So when he's off to college in 2 years, hubby and I are going to Alaska for sure. This is on my bucket list

Thanks for sharing your story!!
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Cool! Looking forward to reading along
amityisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Totally following along! Can't wait to hear all the details!

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Plucker001
Mouseketeer

Subscribing! We are on the 8/19 cruise and have kids of similar ages.
WDW Commando Member #59
Plucker001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
teacherlisa1978
DIS Veteran

Great report so far. As a Seattle native I enjoy hearing what people think of our city. This is definitely the very best time of year to be here! I'm sure you did nothing wrong in Steinbrueck park-sadly that's a place that many choose to avoid because of what you experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Carsland, Candy Corn, and Caramel Macchiatos-a DLR Trip Report
Disneyland: 1989, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2013
Disneyland Paris: 1994-free trip won through the Disney Store!
Walt Disney World: 1992, 1997, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
teacherlisa1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
MissingFigment
Earning My Ears

My DS 9 was on this cruise with his grandma, but I couldn't go due to work. He had a great time and really enjoyed seeing the glacier. We are from Michigan so the temps didn't bother him. Nice to read a report, as his retelling is somewhat sketchy. Really enjoying your report so far.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingFigment View Post
My DS 9 was on this cruise with his grandma, but I couldn't go due to work. He had a great time and really enjoyed seeing the glacier. We are from Michigan so the temps didn't bother him. Nice to read a report, as his retelling is somewhat sketchy. Really enjoying your report so far.

Did he go to the glacier by helicopter? We were on that excursion with a grandmother and grandson.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

What a great last minute trip! Really looking forward to hear more about it.

Jill in CO
Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherlisa1978 View Post
Great report so far. As a Seattle native I enjoy hearing what people think of our city. This is definitely the very best time of year to be here! I'm sure you did nothing wrong in Steinbrueck park-sadly that's a place that many choose to avoid because of what you experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Thanks for reading. Seattle was beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
What a great last minute trip! Really looking forward to hear more about it.

Jill in CO
Thanks for reading!
Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Let the WONDER Begin!

As we boarded the ship, the Disney Wonder welcomed the S_____ Family! But, I barely heard the announcement because I was so intent on heading to Wavebands to request first dining. A cast member started to tell us our lunch choices, but he could tell I was a mom with a mission, so he sent us on our way. As I went to Wavebands with DS, my DH and DD went to Guest Services to snag reservations for 2 to the Tea Party with Disney Friends. They were able to reserve spots for me and my DD on Sunday, our at-sea day. The other choice was 4PM on Tracy Arm Day, but I didn't want the tea party to interfere with our enjoyment of the scenery on that day.

I made it to Wavebands as quickly as I could (I love how the adult district is decorated on the Wonder). I was expecting a long sheet of names on the waitlist, but there was only one name above mine. Either I was second, or there were full pages somewhere else that I couldn't see. The dining manager told me we would get a call between 4-5 letting us know if they could accommodate our request.

After leaving Wavebands, we went to eat lunch. We chose Parrot Cay over Beach Blanket. We like Parrot Cay for lunch on Embarkation Day because it doesn't seem as crowded. Also, you are seated at a table and a server brings your drinks. Since we had several carry-on backpacks with us, I liked being seated rather than carrying our bags through the food line and finding a seat. When we were sufficiently stuffed, we went to explore the ship. My DH and I have sailed on the Magic and the Dream, and the kids have sailed on the Dream. The Wonder was new to us, so we were excited to check her out.

(For the record, my kids prefer some of the bells and whistles on the Dream. It does have a newer feel, and they like features such as the Detective Agency. However, my husband and I prefer the classics. They have a more intimate feel and don't seem as crowded to us. All are fantastic, but I think the Wonder earned a special place in my heart!)

We walked back to the atrium and stopped for a picture. See? We didn't need to see the entire Chihuly exhibit in Seattle! We have our own Chihuly right here!

084 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

We stopped by the kids clubs to pick up wristbands, wandered around for a few minutes, and then it was time to go to our stateroom. We were in 6608, and we loved the location. It was a starboard 5C, but the room next to ours was a 5B. The room was categorized as aft, but it was between the aft and mid elevators. We were also just down the hall from the laundry room, which I liked a lot. We thought it was a great location.

At this point, my DD changed into her bathing suit, and DS and DH headed to the sports deck. It was about 78 degrees and sunny in Vancouver, so it was a lovely day to be on deck!

092 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

089 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

While many kids swam throughout the cruise (even next to the glacier on Tracy Arm day), I didn't think the pools were ever too crowded like they can be on the southern cruises. My kids swam more on this cruise than they did on our Bahamian Dream cruise!

We had just eaten lunch, but it didn't take long for my DD to need some ice cream! Both my kids made good use of the self-serve ice cream machine!

1497605 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

I'm being summoned by DS, so I have to stop here. Coming Up...Sailing Away!
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
MissingFigment
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomTo2 View Post

Did he go to the glacier by helicopter? We were on that excursion with a grandmother and grandson.
No, they only saw it on the Tracy Arm day.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
lucy0558
Mouseketeer

Great trip report! We are sailing next June to Alaska so I'm loving the details and photos.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Still here, reading along and enjoying very much, so thank you for taking us along with you on your trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: