Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Disney Says Wristband Boosts Sales in Disney World Test

From Bloomberg News:

Quote:
Disney Says Wristband Boosts Sales in Disney World Test
By Christopher Palmeri - Jul 12, 2013 12:01 AM ET

Electronic wristbands tested at Walt Disney Co. (DIS)s Florida resort succeeded in boosting spending by guests, parks division Chairman Thomas Staggs said.

The bands serve as admission tickets, hotel room keys and credit cards. They were tested by 1,000 people at Walt Disney World in Florida, Staggs said in an interview at Allen & Co.s annual conference in Sun Valley, Idaho, without offering details. Guests spent more on average in part because they had fun with the technology, he said.
Rest of article here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo
Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

No surprises here.
I hope the successful test will expedite the live rollout.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
DJRosko
Mouseketeer

I'm curious to see if the 3 fastpass limit is going to stay... And it doesn't allow for park hopping...
DJRosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRosko View Post
I'm curious to see if the 3 fastpass limit is going to stay... And it doesn't allow for park hopping...
The goal is to increase guest spending. Spreading out your day with 3 FP+ for one park gives you enough time to "enjoy shopping". Running from park to park..not so much.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
The goal is to increase guest spending. Spreading out your day with 3 FP+ for one park gives you enough time to "enjoy shopping". Running from park to park..not so much.
Perhaps, but it cuts into selling the value of the park hopper addon.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
Perhaps, but it cuts into selling the value of the park hopper addon.
Agree.

I've always been in favor of the FP+ concept, but its ultimate value depends greatly upon the implementation. Disney is walking a fine line in relation to guest satisfaction. If the concept proves to be a big turn-off, it won't take much of a decline in guest traffic to offset sales gains.

Personally I think the limit of 3 FPs is a bit too restrictive.

If they at least expand it for on-site guests--allowing 5 or 6 FP+ per day--that will help a lot. Disney charges an awful big premium for staying in its hotels and other than picking your color of wristband, there doesn't appear to be any resort guest FP+ benefit yet.

FastPass is a core part of the experience they have provided for nearly 20 years now. This is one change that Disney cannot haphazardly shove down the throats of its guests, and assume everyone will happily adapt.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

I am still confused over this stuff. But when is it suppose to "roll out"?
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Agree.

I've always been in favor of the FP+ concept, but its ultimate value depends greatly upon the implementation. Disney is walking a fine line in relation to guest satisfaction. If the concept proves to be a big turn-off, it won't take much of a decline in guest traffic to offset sales gains.

If they at least expand it for on-site guests--allowing 5 or 6 FP+ per day--that will help a lot. Disney charges an awful big premium for staying in its hotels and other than picking your color of wristband, there doesn't appear to be any resort guest FP+ benefit yet.

FastPass is a core part of the experience they have provided for nearly 20 years now. This is one change that Disney cannot haphazardly shove down the throats of its guests, and assume everyone will happily adapt.
I like a lot of what they are doing with the RFID program, but I'm not a fan of the proposed Fast Pass Plus, I don't want to schedule fast passes well in advance, I like to plan, but not that much.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post

I agree with this. There should be a FP+ benefit for resort guests. I'm still annoyed that EMH has shrunk. I'm hoping that decision eventually reverses.

EMH is a big reason I can convince people that they want to stay on site. There is nothing like being in MK after midnight
Old 07-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'll concede I may be the odd one out here, but no amount of FP restrictions are going to make me buy more merchandise. I go with a budget for souvenirs/food...nothing Disney does is going to change it

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
MarkC71
Earning My Ears

I'm excited about the new my Magic bands but I am concerned that allowing more Then three fast passes per day would increase the wait in the fast pass lines and ultimately end up negating their value. However, I'm sure Disney has put a whole lot of time and effort into researching crowd levels and line wait times and have a good idea how everything is going to work. I don't love the idea of having to book my ride time 60 days out, but I'm also thinking a lot of other people won't want to do that either and maybe guests will wait until they get closer to their vacation before they start booking times. I don't know, I guess we will have to wait and see.

As for the increased spending this makes sense. I used to work for a company that used similar technology at convenience stores. Time after time market research showed that customers paying with cash spent the least money, those paying with credit cards spent more in the store, and those paying with the key tag technology paid the most, even if it was only a dollar or two. I'm sure it won't hold true for everyone visiting the parks but its just human nature, it's easier to put out a couple of extra bucks when you aren't using real cash. I guess that's what keeps all those big credit card companies in business.
MarkC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
MarkC71
Earning My Ears

I realize the key to the world cards already had that functionality, but you probably had people, like my family, who would not use that card for much other then incidentals. When we went down we hardly ever used KTTW cards for purchasing anything. The band just makes it easier, its on your wrist all day, it just makes it easier to separate you from your money.

I'm just telling you what my old company found at their stores with the keytag. And this is at a convenience stores where people were buying chips and gum. Imagine if Disney gets every person that walks into the Magic Kingdom, to buy an extra ice cream cone, or balloon, or plush doll, or lollipop, just because of the Magic bands. That's all it would take to make it profitable.
MarkC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC71 View Post
I realize the key to the world cards already had that functionality, but you probably had people, like my family, who would not use that card for much other then incidentals. When we went down we hardly ever used KTTW cards for purchasing anything. The band just makes it easier, its on your wrist all day, it just makes it easier to separate you from your money.

I'm just telling you what my old company found at their stores with the keytag. And this is at a convenience stores where people were buying chips and gum. Imagine if Disney gets every person that walks into the Magic Kingdom, to buy an extra ice cream cone, or balloon, or plush doll, or lollipop, just because of the Magic bands. That's all it would take to make it profitable.
True. I wonder if there will be an increase in the number of guests willing to charge back to their rooms. We have always done it...even as a teen in the 80s my parents allowed us charging privileges on our cards. But I have noticed more often than not, people here on the Dis do not charge back to their rooms. They talk of how much cash to bring, using GCs and asking if credit cards are accepted. I guess everyone has their reasons, but I'm wondering if those people will change their ways with the bands, and how will Disney encourage that.

As for me, I am a marketing person's dream....the band will most likely increase my impulse spending

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
SharkBoy
Earning My Ears

Wristbands/Fastpass +

I can't wait to try mine, I'm just not sure if the fastpass + is something that I'm going to really use, I find it's bad enough you have to decide way in advance what restaurants you want to eat at and plan your day around that, I'm not sure that I want to add planning my day around a reserved time for an attraction as well... but I guess I'll know more after I try it.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Please correct me-- but I haven't seen any info saying fpp will be available to off site guests. ???
Yes, it is available to all ticket-holding guests. In order to book FP+ prior to arrival, you will have to pre-purchase theme park tickets. The ticket will be linked to a "My Disney Experience" online account, which will then enable the FP+ reservation feature.

Annual Passholders will reportedly get a fixed number of days per year in which they can use the FP+ benefit. I think 20 days per year has been tossed around, but like all things that's certainly subject to change.

What remains unknown is whether Disney will choose to give more FPs to its hotel guests.

Quote:
Disney knew they were deluxe resort guests. Disney knows what the average guest spends. Disney said those guests spent more. Do you think Disney is lying in order to justify the $$$ spent on the magic bands? I guess it's possible.
I don't know that they would lie...but without any quantification it's hard to draw any conclusions. Just buying a few add-on trinkets for the Magic Bands would technically represent an increase (all other things being equal.) Any fraction of a percent is an "increase", but not necessarily a sign that MB users are opening untying the purse strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granmanh603 View Post
Do you have to use these? last stay I did not even use the room key for charging, used my own credit card. When then informed me I had to use and extra code to use, just passed.
You must have either a Magic Band or the old KTTW card to unlock room door and to obtain FastPasses. There is no mandate to use it for shopping.

Quote:
And having to order fast passes is not going to work for me at all. I never know where I am going to be on a given day til I get there. Often we take the first bus that comes along.
Guests are not obligated to pre-reserve ride times. They will have kiosks in the parks where you can use the Band or KTTW card to obtain FP+ ride times. However, the paper FP tickets are being eliminated and the limit of three FPs per day will apply (unless Disney tweaks that policy.)

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: