Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
snowwhite84
DIS Veteran

Contemporary pool

Hello! I'm looking for opinions on the CR pool. I like the hotel itself a lot and am almost sold on it for our March 2014 trip. However, I'm worried the pool leaves a bit to be desired.

My second choice right now is WL, which I know has a great pool.

We are having dinner at all three of the monorail hotels at one point or other during our five night trip, hence my want to be in the MK area. I'd consider the Poly, but our absolute first criteria is a king bed (we live in Manhattan in cramped quarters and really look forward to stretching out on vacation!). I know we won't be guaranteed a king, but I want our best shot!

So, anyone love the Contemporary pool?

snowwhite84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

I liked the Contemporary pools. It never seemed crowded and it was nice to relax in. There was an adult pool closer to the water that was nice too. Maybe not the most exciting pool at WDW but I found it to be nice.

As far as a king bed you can book a king bed at the Polynesian for no difference in cost. You will be limited to only a few longhouses if you do book a king bed (Samoa, Rarotonga, Fiji and Niue has one but it is a handicap accessible room with a roll in shower). You also have to have a standard view room to get a king bed. There are no king beds with lagoon or themepark view other than the ones in the suites in Tonga longhouse.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
ArwenMarie
DIS Veteran

I think it's pretty. It's simple of course, no heavy theming. But it's very pretty, near the lake.
ArwenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
buzzrelly
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwhite84 View Post
Hello! I'm looking for opinions on the CR pool. I like the hotel itself a lot and am almost sold on it for our March 2014 trip. However, I'm worried the pool leaves a bit to be desired.

My second choice right now is WL, which I know has a great pool.

We are having dinner at all three of the monorail hotels at one point or other during our five night trip, hence my want to be in the MK area. I'd consider the Poly, but our absolute first criteria is a king bed (we live in Manhattan in cramped quarters and really look forward to stretching out on vacation!). I know we won't be guaranteed a king, but I want our best shot!

So, anyone love the Contemporary pool?

Hello! We've stayed at CR twice now. The pool is great. It's large, there's always plenty of seating in or out of the shade, and the water slide is fun (or so my kids tell me!). Plus, there were always fun activities going on by the pool, like dance parties and crafts for the kids. Now, if you're comparing it to the pool at BC/YC, of course it fails in comparison, but then so do many of the other pools at other resorts!

We absolutely LOVE the CR! You really cannot beat the location! I think you'll love it there. Have fun!
1989 Off Site-2003 Contemporary Resort-2006 Old Key West-2008 Caribbean Beach Resort-2010 Contemporary Resort-2012 Disney Cruise Line Magic-2013 Contemporary Resort-2013 Beach Club -2014 POP Century with Dance the World

buzzrelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
buzzrelly
DIS Veteran

I forgot to mention that the rooms at CR are among the largest on property, larger than WL, so if you really want space to spread out, that's an extra bonus!
1989 Off Site-2003 Contemporary Resort-2006 Old Key West-2008 Caribbean Beach Resort-2010 Contemporary Resort-2012 Disney Cruise Line Magic-2013 Contemporary Resort-2013 Beach Club -2014 POP Century with Dance the World

buzzrelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
poohgirl6
I dream of Stormalong Bay

We have stayed at both CR and WL and I like the pool at CR much better. The WL pool looks pretty but it is really small and always seems crowded to me. CR isn't wonderfully themed or anything, but it is large and lots of chairs and places to hang out. There are two hot tubs and two pools. Plus, the CR's rooms are so much bigger and nicer than WL. The only category that WL wins IMHO is the lobby, and that's only by a slight margin. Otherwise, I would choose CR over WL every time.
Polynesian/Beach Club 1997
Ft. Wilderness 2000
Contemporary 2001
Dolphin/BCV 2006
BWV/AKV Jan 2010
CR/POR Sept 2012
Contemporary Sept 2013
Yacht Club/CR August/Sept 2014

The Fam
DH Me : DD28 DS24 DS17 DS15 DGS4 DGD
poohgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
snowwhite84
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for all the responses!

snowwhite84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
fallschurch
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohgirl6 View Post
We have stayed at both CR and WL and I like the pool at CR much better. The WL pool looks pretty but it is really small and always seems crowded to me. CR isn't wonderfully themed or anything, but it is large and lots of chairs and places to hang out. There are two hot tubs and two pools. Plus, the CR's rooms are so much bigger and nicer than WL. The only category that WL wins IMHO is the lobby, and that's only by a slight margin. Otherwise, I would choose CR over WL every time.
Second this. I have stayed at both resorts and like the CR more than WL. I think most people prefer WL but I thought the pools were tiny and very crowded.
fallschurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Julylady
DIS Veteran

We too have stayed at both CR and WL and much prefer the CR pools!
Julylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohgirl6 View Post
. The only category that WL wins IMHO is the lobby, and that's only by a slight margin. Otherwise, I would choose CR over WL every time.
I would say the size differnece of the pools is a big check in CR over WL. However, I disagree about the lobby only being a 'slight margin" better at WL. The CL lobby is old and not really anything to speak of. The WL Lobby is one of, if not the best Lobby and open air spaces that is on the property. The courtyard views from WL are great, but the MK views from CR trump that by quite a bit as well.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: