Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Knuckleball
Earning My Ears

Question about booking Disney Through Expedia

I am looking for a room only reservation at Disney World for August. I always have booked directly through Disney but this time, I decided to check out Expedia. I was surprised to find that I could get a value resort room for about $25 less and a moderate room for almost $40 less through Expedia. I have never used Expedia and was wondering "what's the catch?". Is it just as fine to use Expedia in stead of booking directly through Disney?
Knuckleball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

No reason not to use a TA like Expedia. Just be sure that you're comparing apples and apples. Some places quote the basic room rate, others include the taxes.
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

I would be very careful when booking threw them.read very carefully,sometimes you think your getting a better deal but the view is only a standard view or there is some catch. They are sometimes difficult to make any changes with them. So if your 100% sure on what you want and ate not going to make any changes or add ons I would say go for it. If you are un sure then I suggest go with disney directly. They would own your reservation until they release your reservation to disney.

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
bookbabe_disneynut
self-confessed Disney addict...and proud of it!

We booked through Expedia for our upcoming trip in October. Got a garden view room at Beach Club for only $200 more (over the 4 night trip) than the standard view POFQ room we'd originally booked through Disney. When I called to cancel the Disney reservation, the CM was completely understanding. She claimed the price difference is because companies like Expedia book a room block, and then if bookings are slow they'll discount the rooms to sell them off. The CM said there would be no difference with the rooms, etc. The main difference is that Expedia "owns" the reservation until a couple of days before arrival, so any special requests or changes have to be made through them. However, Expedia did send us our Disney confirmation number 2-3 days after we booked, and we were able to use that to book Magic Express.
bookbabe_disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Knuckleball
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbabe_disneynut View Post
We booked through Expedia for our upcoming trip in October. Got a garden view room at Beach Club for only $200 more (over the 4 night trip) than the standard view POFQ room we'd originally booked through Disney. When I called to cancel the Disney reservation, the CM was completely understanding. She claimed the price difference is because companies like Expedia book a room block, and then if bookings are slow they'll discount the rooms to sell them off. The CM said there would be no difference with the rooms, etc. The main difference is that Expedia "owns" the reservation until a couple of days before arrival, so any special requests or changes have to be made through them. However, Expedia did send us our Disney confirmation number 2-3 days after we booked, and we were able to use that to book Magic Express.
Very helpful. Thanks!
Knuckleball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I also would make sure you are comparing apples with apples, same room type, tax & fees included, using Disney room discounts for August? Expedia is reliable, I'd just make sure the rates are correct.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
goNDmay9
Mouseketeer

One other thing to check. I believe you have to pay for the room in full at the time of booking with Expedia. Disney and other TA's take deposits. I have never booked through Expedia though but seem to recall others mentioning this.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
bookbabe_disneynut
self-confessed Disney addict...and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goNDmay9 View Post
One other thing to check. I believe you have to pay for the room in full at the time of booking with Expedia. Disney and other TA's take deposits. I have never booked through Expedia though but seem to recall others mentioning this.
Yes, paying up front was the one other difference. They say you can cancel and get a full refund, but we've never tried.

As for the "apples to apples" - yes, it's a good idea to make sure you know exactly what you getting, but it really is possible to get a bizarrely good deal...I know we did. No idea why the room was really that much cheaper through Expedia, but it was. Who am I to argue with them? :grin:
bookbabe_disneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #9
aristocat65
DIS Veteran

I have booked with Expedia for Disney and changed my mind about the hotel. It was no problem getting a refund. I called in to get the cancellation and then booked the new hotel online. I did notice that currently they have POFQ in October for cheaper than the Disney website so it's always good to check them out.
Disneyland 1976, Disneyland 1979, Disneyland 1989 Anaheim Hilton (honeymoon), Disneyland 1991 Desert Inn and Suites, Disneyland 1999 Hilton Suites, Disneyland 2002 Ayres Anaheim, Disneyland 2004 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2005 Boardwalk Villas, Disneyland 2006 CCI, WDW 2006 Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland 2007 Embassy Suites South, WDW 2008 Coronado Springs, Disneyland 2008 Embassy Suites, WDW August 2009, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland Feb 2011 Grand Californian, Disneyland Sept 2011, Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland May 2013 Paradise Pier, WDW November 2013 Port Orleans Riverside/Boardwalk Inn
aristocat65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
popp17
Earning My Ears

Similar experience here. All changes do have to go through Expedia, but their customer service department is extremely helpful. They also have the ability to call Disney wholesale (their contact for Disney) and enter special requests onto the reservation.

The only other item to be cautious on is booking activities/tickets with places like Expedia, Orbitz and Travelocity. If activities are included in the original reservation, this may alter the reservation to a "package" that has different cancellation restrictions. It's a great deal and I've booked a few times without any problems. Just make sure to read the fine print.

Also, check out online coupons prior to booking. You can save an extra 5% to 15% on top of the reduced listed rate. Another alternative is to use ebates to get to expedia and get cash back.

Hope everything goes well!
popp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Used expedia for CSR a few years ago without issue. Remember saving a ton of money- room only, we had tix.

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: