Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Recie
Earning My Ears

Back to Back Cruising on the Dream May 23-26 & May 26-30 2013

This was our second and third cruise on the Dream but my first trip report.

Ive lurked on DIS since our first trip to Disney World in 2004 but never joined. Ive gotten so much helpful information that I thought I would share our venture.

Our traveling party

Me - Teresa
DD - Daughter - Lover of all things Disney
DGD3 - Grand Daughter - Like the Princesses and Hello Kitty
DGS3 - Grand Son - Like Toy Story, Lion King, Pirates and Super Heros
DGN10 - Great Niece (Nephews Daughter) - Happy to be out of school

DD, DGD, DGS

DGN
2014 - Disney Wonder, 2015 Bonnet Creek

Last edited by Recie; 07-05-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Recie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Recie
Earning My Ears

How we got here

Background:
I mentioned that this was our second cruise. Last year when booking, DD was in the process of adopting. She did not have kids placed with her when we decided to take a cruise. I contacted Disney and explained that we would be taking a cruise and did not know whether or not we would have kids by the time we sailed. They suggested that we add names and ages to hold spots. DD was adopting through foster care and wanted a sibling group so I reserved a 2 year old and a 5 year old hoping to hold a nursery and kids club spot. Well as our Paid in Full date came up, no kids. I notified our Travel Agent that it would only be 3 of us so we would only need 1 room instead of 2.

Fast forward one WEEK. DD was notified that 2 year old twins would be placed with her. She had done weekend respite care so they were familiar with her. The following week they were officially placed with her as foster to adopt. She let their attorney and the courts know that we were planning a cruise out of the country and she would like to take the kids. Once we got approval and all of the requirements, I had to contact our Travel Agent and let her know that we would be a party of 5 instead of 3. The only rooms available were Concierge and a category 5D. We took the 5D and luckily there was nursery space available.

About 2 weeks after we got home, we decided it was time to book another cruise so we started making plans. We wanted to go on the Fantasy this time but the kids were still foster children so we could not take them to Mexico. I dont know if this is a Texas law or the adoption agency rule. We decided to do a back to back on the Dream. We contacted our Travel Agent and booked May 23-26 and May 26-30.
We were booked in room 8618, now the wait was on.

During this time the adoption was finalized and they were finally ours (okay hers). They participated in National Adoption Day along with 75 other kids in the area.

I had to go back and have the names changed on our reservations. They got new first, middle and last names so we were not sure if they would keep their Castaway club information. I was happy to find out that they kept their silver status. Disney changed all of their information.

Adoption Day...

Last edited by Recie; 07-04-2013 at 12:55 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Recie
Earning My Ears

Travel Day

Our flight was scheduled to leave Dallas Love Field at 7:15 pm. There was a storm that delayed us 2.5 hours. We arrived in Orlando after 2am. Luckily we reserved the Airport Hyatt for that night so we didn't need to pick up a rental car until the next morning. We got to bed around 3am.

Waiting at the airport

Finally cleared to leave.

After a good night's sleep, it was time to check out. We left the Hyatt, picked up a rental car/van and off we went. Headed to Cocoa Beach.

The day before the cruise we stayed in Comfort Inns and Suites in Cocoa Beach. The room would have been okay for the night but….. we went out shopping for a while and DGN left a pop tart in a napkin on the countertop. When we got back, it was covered in ants. We called the office and they gave us another room. It was about 5 doors down but it had been remodeled and was much nicer (no bugs). We settled in for the evening, DGN did some of her homework for the week and it was off to bed.

Last edited by Recie; 07-04-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
Recie
Earning My Ears

Embarkation Day

I got up and returned the rental car to Budget in Cape Canaveral. The shuttle was not available to take me back to the hotel so they called a shuttle (taxi) for me. The driver was a nice guy, he gave me some places to see if we were in the area again. I asked him if he could take us to the cruise terminal around noon. We had an 11:00-11:30 PAT but we were not in a hurry to get there.

We realized checkout time at the hotel was 11:00 so I called to see if the shuttle could pick us up earlier. The dispatcher said they could but he had 3 more passengers across the street that needed to be picked up a 11:00. It was a large van so that was okay with us. His passengers were some students and I can’t remember where they were from but they were doing a project with NASA and building a robot. They came out with their partially built robot.

We were the first stop. When the driver stopped to let us out, the students were amazed at the ship. They got out of the van and went to the end of the drop off area and started taking pictures of the ships. They told the driver they were staying with us.

We went through the gate, had our ID check and on to the terminal. Check in was fast uneventful. We walked right up to the Castaway club area with no waiting. We had notarized Minor Authorization forms for DGN and documents showing that DD was the only parent for DGS and DGD. We were not asked for anything but our passport, medical and Signature Forms. Last year DD had a binder full of documents but again they were not asked for. I will still take the documents every cruise just in case they decide to check.

They did not take new pictures of any of us. Just as we finished checking in they called our boarding number. I believe we were in boarding group 6.
Once we went down the ramp and gave our KTTW cards, they thought DGD and DGS should have had new pictures.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Recie
Earning My Ears

Welcome Aboard

One of the best signs ever.

We are finally onboard and hearing our name announced. We went to Cabanas for lunch. After lunch we walked around a little and the kids had their first of many ice cream cones.

Ice Sculpture in Cabanas

Carnival Sensation in the background.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Recie
Earning My Ears

Oceaneer's Club/Lab Check In and Open House

When they were finished with their ice cream and cleaned up, we went to get their bands for the kids club. We pre-registered during online check-in. DGS and DGN got theirs on their arm but DGD had hers on her ankle. She have busy hands and DD was afraid she would take the band off. It was open house so we let the kids get familiar with the club and tried to make them remember that DGD need to go the Tinkerbell Potty and DGS would go to the Peter Pan Potty.
DGN stayed in the club last year and loved it. I thought she may think she was too old this year but she still had a good time and found things to do. We did not give her check in and out privileges because shes not mine and I didnt want to go home and explain to my nephew that I lost his daughter.

We stopped to get a chandelier picture

Open House

Last edited by Recie; 07-04-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
kel4876
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the report. I was thinking of doing a back to back Dream trip in the future, so I'm eager to read how it's done
kel4876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Recie
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel4876 View Post
Thanks for the report. I was thinking of doing a back to back Dream trip in the future, so I'm eager to read how it's done
Thanks for reading along. We really enjoyed the b2b, especially the 2 stops at Castaway Cay. We also enjoyed the 2 Nassau stops. We got off of the ship both times. I will get into more detail later but I didn't feel like we had a wasted day. We had the ’free day’ well planned.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
NYcruiser
Earning My Ears

This was awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas August 2009
NCL Pride of America Hawaii August 2010
Holland America ms Westerdam Februrary 2011
NCL Epic Februrary 2012
Disney Fantasy Februrary 2014
NYcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
corbe4
Earning My Ears

Congratulations to your daughter and to you, the kids are adorable you are all very blessed to have found each other and it sounds like everyone had a great time. Can't wait to hear the rest!
corbe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Recie
Earning My Ears

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by qits View Post
Loving your report the kids look so adorable in their little outfits!
Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYcruiser View Post
This was awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you. I an enjoying reliving the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbe4 View Post
Congratulations to your daughter and to you, the kids are adorable you are all very blessed to have found each other and it sounds like everyone had a great time. Can't wait to hear the rest!
Thanks, we do feel blessed to have them. It was a busy week so I did not get to post any updates. Hopefully I can get a couple posted this weekend.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Recie
Earning My Ears

Castaway Cay

We watched as the ship docked at Castaway Cay. After about an hour we got our bags ready for the day and headed off for breakfast at Enchanted Garden. We had a window seat watching as the passengers disembark and the kids getting excited to take pictures with the characters.

When we finished breakfast, we got off of the ship and got ready for our beach day. Just as we got off of the ship DD realized she had left the sand toys in the room so instead of buying a third set, she decided to go back to get them.

Me and the kids started walking toward the Tram Station. We saw Stitch coming out so we got pictures with him.

Just as we finished up with Stitch, Daisy came out and we stopped to get pictures with her.

We passed Captain Hook who had just finished a Photo session and was head back to the ship.

The lines for pictures were not very long. Probably because we got off of the ship a little later. It was around 10:30 when we got off.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Recie
Earning My Ears

Castaway Cay (con't.)

We finally caught the tram and went to the first beach. I found me a chair under a tree with an umbrella and relaxed. I have a fear of the ocean and swimming pools so I try not to get too close to either. This time I did put my feet in the water though.

We watch and the kids participated in the Dance party

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...ctWzZo2asWrDAg

After the dance party, we had lunch and went back to the beach.

Around 2:30, we head back to the ship.

The beaches and lunch pavilion were not very crowded. There was not a problem finding seats at either location. There were plenty of empty loungers available.

Last edited by Recie; 07-13-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: