Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Poly or LK for family of 5 HELP please :)

Hi all

We have just booked 14 nights in a LK suite at AOA, we have stayed there before in a LM room and our boys loved the resort

I would really like to try out POLY and for our dates it's only just under a £1000 more! If we get free DP it will only work out £300 more!!

We are a family of 2 adults and 3 boys aged 8,8,10 so how big are the poly rooms? Would a family of our size be comfortable in the 1 room? We normally take my mum and so either have 2 rooms or stay at SSR in a 2 bed villa.
This next trip though will be just us ( argh no break or adult only time, how will we cope) lol.

DH wants us to go with the LK suite so we have some space to chill, I would just really love to do poly
We have stayed at Akl and found the rooms to be quite small if it was to be all 5 of us in one room so I'm hoping poly would be a lot bigger rooms since I hear the Akl rooms are small for a deluxe!

Anyways any opinions or help appreciated.

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

I say go for the Poly. I mean 300 more (isn't that like $600 more US)? The Poly is a Deluxe resort. If you have never stayed at the Poly, and it is only $600 US more I would jump on the deal. It will be a different magical experience. Swimming in the Poly pool while looking at the fireworks over the castle is as magical as it gets, and that's all done while they pipe in the music from the magic kingdom fireworks show. They have the evening water pageant that is also really neat.

Why not price out a Poly club level room. Read up on what Poly club level has to offer at tikiman's webpage. He's the man to go to if you want info. on the Poly.

I didn't answer your "is there room" for your group of 5. The rooms are very large and 2 adults (in one bed) and 3 children (at those ages) should be fine. You can put 2 kids in one queen bed, and the other in the day bed that comes with all the rooms at the Poly. Or, have all three sleep in a queen bed. If you want a little more room to have as break time, a club level room gives access to a fantastic lounge that overlooks the MK/lagoon.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
samacita
Mouseketeer

I can't speak to AoA, but we are heading to Poly in a few months as a family of 5. Can't wait!!!
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
DH wants us to go with the LK suite so we have some space to chill, I would just really love to do poly
We have stayed at Akl and found the rooms to be quite small if it was to be all 5 of us in one room so I'm hoping poly would be a lot bigger rooms since I hear the Akl rooms are small for a deluxe!

Anyways any opinions or help appreciated.
The rooms at the Poly are much larger than the AKL rooms. But the LK suite will give you a separate bedroom. It is a tough choice. The Poly is a really nice resort. I would go with the Poly, though, if you can get a discount.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

You can have a break if you send your kids to the kids club for a few hours...my kids love it there...another Poly perk!
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
cdhale
Mouseketeer

Another vote for POLY... the rooms are huge! On my last trip my sister's family of 5 stayed in one room (2 adults, DS8, DD7, and DS 5) and they had plenty of room. And you can't beat the atmosphere and monorail access. Disclaimer, as I have never stayed at AoA or any other value, but the decor just doesn't appeal to me.

Nov 14 ~ Poly * Sept 13 ~ POFQ * Jan 11 ~ Poly * Jan 10 ~ Poly * Jan 09 ~ WL * Feb 02 ~ DTD * Mar 97 ~ CBR * Mar 89 ~ off site

cdhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Poly is AWESOME! I would choose it over AoA in a heartbeat! The rooms are quite big, plus with the two queen beds, your kids (if you put two in a queen and one in the day bed) will actually have more bed space than if you stayed at AoA. You will be losing one bathroom, however, but the amenities at Poly more than make up for that IMHO.

And as a PP mentioned - you can send your kids to the Neverland Club. It's very reasonable and they even serve the kids dinner between 6-8 pm. My son loved it!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

I've not stayed in any of the family suites, but I have done the Poly with my family of 4 and found it to be quite spacious.

To me the biggest advantage of the family suites would be the second bathroom. But as far as room to spread out is concerned, it doesn't seem like there is much more than there is at the Poly. Remember, in the suite, most all the furniture in the "living area" converts to a bed, so it's not as if you can use that living space in the evening. The fact that you can close it off from where the kids are sleeping would be a more significant factor to me if my kids went to bed early, but they're night owls. YMMV, of course

You could do a week in each (I'd do the suite first and save the best for last). Also, if you choose the Poly, request a room with a balcony or patio--that also gives you some extra living space.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the replies now I'm MEGA torn lol, I wanted to do a split stay but since we want the DDP it's not worth it money wise to do it.

We are going back in May 2014 and so if we don't do the poly this trip we definitely are doing it next trip, only problem is next trip we are taking my mum and will have to pay out for 2 rooms lol!
Plus I wanted to stay there before they started to do all the DVC renovations!!

Decisions decisions now I have a head ache lol

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
mfulk
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at the Poly (in Rapa Nui) on two trips with our family of 6 and we're very comfortable there. On our first visit there last year our kids were 7, 5, 3, and 10 months and we stayed or 10 days and even with the pack n play for the baby and our double stroller in the room with us we still felt like it was enough room. We do spend almost no time in the room though and do not go back for naps. We stayed at Grand Floridian last year as well and the room felt much smaller.

In April we stayed for a week in a 2br condo at Bonnet Creek and then for a week at the Poly again. Our kids were 8, 6, 4 and 22 months so we still had the pack n play and double stroller in the room and it still worked really well for us. I would 100% pick one room at the Poly over the 2br at Bonnet Creek. Yes the extra space is nice but we spend so little time in the room and IMO nothing can beat the convenience of the Poly and specifically the Rapa Nui longhouse with its own parking lot in front of it and super short walk to the TTC.
mfulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
Dis*Mom
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 5 (3 teenagers) and we stayed in the cars suite at AoA last month. We loved having the separate bedroom and two bathrooms. The space worked great for us, and we loved it there. That being said, I have never stayed at the Poly and I'm sure it would be great. My family just likes the over the top theming and they love the pool at AoA.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
raeolight
Ears to the ground Eyes to the Castle

If u decide to go with the poly next year i must warn u that u might be in the middle of a big revamp. Go to tikimanpages.com and u can read more about it. I say now is the time to try the poly. We're staying there for the first time in Nov. We're WL people but Grandma is coming and we wanted to be near all the great transport options.
raeolight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
TwistGrl101
DIS Veteran

I was just leaning towards Poly for Aug 2014 until I read about the construction...how will that affect our stay though? Are people worried most about noise, the ugliness of the construction site, pool or beach closures?? Maybe well stick with the tried and true BC after all...
TwistGrl101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
raeolight
Ears to the ground Eyes to the Castle

The construction now isn't bad. Its will be next year it sounds like though.
raeolight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
Hooked On The Mouse
DIS Veteran

Location: Thigh-high in snow half the year, up to the eyeballs in mosquitos the other half

We are a family of 5 and have stayed at both Poly and AOA. In all honesty, we find the rooms at Poly to be a little small for us and there is no opportunity to get away from the kids by going into the next room. We really enjoyed staying at AOA and did feel the advantage of 2 bathrooms, 2 tvs, and 2 separate sleeping areas. But, every once in a while, it is great to experience the atmosphere of Poly. I think if you really want to stay there, you should give it a try and see what you think.

Hooked On The Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: