Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
famy27
Mouseketeer

Best character meal for 10 y.o. boy?

Over the weekend, we decided to bring my nephew to WDW with us in October. This will be his first trip, and he is VERY excited. I have two DDs, so I know all things princess. Boy stuff, I don't know at all. He would definitely like to do a character meal, but he doesn't have any preferences. He said he'd love anything we pick.

Since he is 10, he'll have to pay adult the adult price. I am sort of leaning toward a breakfast or something else that might be a little lower cost, since I'll be footing the bill for five adults and one child. Any ideas?
famy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

For breakfast, there are several character meal options (non-Princess):
  • Cape May Cafe (BC) - Minnie, Goofy, and Donald
  • Chef Mickey (CR) - Mickey and Friends
  • Crystal Palace (MK) - Winnie the Pooh & Friends
  • Hollywood & Vine (DHS) - Playhouse Disney
  • 'Ohana (Poly) - Stitch and Friends
  • Tusker House (AK) - Donald and Friends

I don't know that there are huge difference in terms of food choices at the different character breakfasts (there will usually be a few different items at each place). Everyone will have different opinions of each place; one placed loved by one person will be hated by another. So, if the main point is to see characters, I would pick the one that has the most interesting characters for your DS.
figment_jii is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
sabcook
Mouseketeer

my DS (9)'s favorites....

Crystal Palace breakfast
'Ohana - stitch is a hit
Tusker House breakfast - great characters
Old 07-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Eastern
DIS Veteran

I would do Cape May Cafe if it's not too hard to get to Beach Club in the morning. My boys always loved that one.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
amym2
DIS Veteran

My DS11 isn't really into characters, but he loved Cape May when we did it for breakfast a couple of years ago. He wants to try Tusker House next because it is similar to Boma, which is his absolute favorite (but no characters). He liked Chef Mickey's, but he was 5 when we did it. I think he'd still be fine with it now.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
penjen
DIS Veteran

My son will be 10 this year. We go every year and he has requested Chef Mickey's for years. Not sure why he likes it. Maybe for the food (and desserts) but he doesn't seem phased about being too old for the characters.

DH ME DS6
penjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Karbase8
DIS Veteran

Believe it or not my son loved CRT we did the dinner though he loved the princesses making a big fuss over him, he also really enjoyed Chef Mickey breakfast as well and Crystal Palace with the Pooh characters.
Karbase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by famy27 View Post
Over the weekend, we decided to bring my nephew to WDW with us in October. This will be his first trip, and he is VERY excited. I have two DDs, so I know all things princess. Boy stuff, I don't know at all. He would definitely like to do a character meal, but he doesn't have any preferences. He said he'd love anything we pick.

Since he is 10, he'll have to pay adult the adult price. I am sort of leaning toward a breakfast or something else that might be a little lower cost, since I'll be footing the bill for five adults and one child. Any ideas?
Our favorite for breakfast is Cape May at the BC. The buffet has a lot of variety and the characters are cute as they are dressed in beach gear .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbase8 View Post
Believe it or not my son loved CRT we did the dinner though he loved the princesses making a big fuss over him, he also really enjoyed Chef Mickey breakfast as well and Crystal Palace with the Pooh characters.
I can't tell you how cute it is to see the princesses make a fuss over boys! Snow White almost always leaves her lipstick on their cheeks.

Our favorite dinner is Garden Grill with Chip and Dale. We also like Crystal Palace breakfast, but I would think that Pooh might be a little young for 10, but what do I know? I still love them all!

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
ddwwelsh
Mouseketeer

Thoughts

[QUOTE
  • Cape May Cafe (BC) - Minnie, Goofy, and Donald
  • Chef Mickey (CR) - Mickey and Friends
  • Crystal Palace (MK) - Winnie the Pooh & Friends
  • Hollywood & Vine (DHS) - Playhouse Disney
  • 'Ohana (Poly) - Stitch and Friends
  • Tusker House (AK) - Donald and Friends

[/QUOTE]

He's ten, so I'd show him the list above and let him decide which characters he'd like to dine with. And in all honesty, if he's super-excited, the food won't really matter.

I did the same with our thirteen year old daughter. I read off the character lists, and she gave her approval or say-so to certain ones, so I went with her cues. That's not to say that I'm not more excited about our meals at Garden Grill and Tusker House.

"Some of my best memories are Disney memories."

*1972 *1977 * 1984 * 1985* 1990 *1991 *1992
*1993 *2005-All-Star Movie Resort
ddwwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

When our boys were that age, they loved the Stitch breakfast at 'Ohana. Other characters at that breakfast include Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Chip & Dale. Mickey leads the kids in a cute parade around the restaurant.

The food is fairly tasty and is brought to the table, which we prefer as we don't care for buffets.

We always booked a later reservation, 10:30 am or so, and found it to be quite civilized at that time with plenty of character interaction.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB View Post
When our boys were that age, they loved the Stitch breakfast at 'Ohana. Other characters at that breakfast include Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Chip & Dale. Mickey leads the kids in a cute parade around the restaurant.

The food is fairly tasty and is brought to the table, which we prefer as we don't care for buffets.

We always booked a later reservation, 10:30 am or so, and found it to be quite civilized at that time with plenty of character interaction.
In case you are considering 'Ohana breakfast, I just want to point out that this list of characters, sadly, isn't there anymore - it's now only Lilo, Stitch, Mickey & Pluto.

For a 10-year old boy, I would recommend (not in any particular order)

Cape May breakfast
'Ohana breakfast
Chef Mickey - any meal
Tusker House - breakfast or lunch
Garden Grill - dinner
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
ElizabethB
I have a raw meat fetish. Who knew!!??

Thanks for the information about reduced characters at the Stitch breakfast. That's too bad. It's used to be a fun one.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
troll buster
Mouseketeer

I have a DS 11and his favorite character breakfast is Tusker House. His favorite character dinner is Garden Grill.
troll buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Tusker House is our family favorite as its got a huge variety of food. Cape May would be our 2nd choice. It has good character interaction.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: