Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
tb1972
DIS Veteran

Nice restaurants w/o dress code?

I will be in the World for my birthday on Nov. 5th. DH and I dress up for work and like to be casual on vacation. Any ideas for a nice bday dinner at a restaurant w/o a dress code? We don't want to show up looking sloppy! It doesn't have to be a signature restaurant.

Thanks,
Tabatha

tb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

I think the only one with a dress code is Victoria & Albert's. Everywhere else, casual is fine. You might feel slightly underdressed at the California Grill in cut-offs and a tank top, but otherwise this is Disney and dressing up is not necessary.

My recommendation for a great meal that is upscale but not stuffy is Citrico's at the Grand Floridian. Another great spot is the upstairs Dining Room at the Wolfgang Puck restaurant in Downtown Disney.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
crisi
DIS Veteran

The dress code at signature places is pretty much "don't be a slob." Shorts and tennis shoes are perfectly normal. Keep the baseball cap off, the shoulders covered on men, and the poolside flip flops/crocs and pool coverup at the pool and cut offs for gardening. Wear shorts and a t-shirt that didn't see its best day at a Peter Frampton concert, and you'll be fine. That you are asking implies you probably don't dress inappropriately and wouldn't be caught dead running to Target in those things.

(Other than Victoria and Alberts)

(I like to dress up a little and will usually pack a skirt and sandals, my husband will wear khakis and a golf shirt - that is also perfectly normal. He does not pack extra shoes since mens shoes are so heavy to pack.)
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Flying Fish on the Boardwalk and Cape May at BC are a couple of nice places to eat. No dress code at either.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
dvcbrad
dvcbrad

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_op_2000 View Post
Flying Fish on the Boardwalk and Cape May at BC are a couple of nice places to eat. No dress code at either.
Dressier shorts and a nice golf shirt or Tommy Bahama style shirt for us guys is fairly typical at these two, as well as Fulton's, Portofino's, etc. over at DTD. Same at the Epcot places, and would think the same or even more casual at the other inside-the-park ones.

PS - for the ladies, I would suggest that a step or two up from cut-offs and a tank top would be more appropriate.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcbrad View Post
Dressier shorts and a nice golf shirt or Tommy Bahama style shirt for us guys is fairly typical at these two, as well as Fulton's, Portofino's, etc. over at DTD. Same at the Epcot places, and would think the same or even more casual at the other inside-the-park ones.

PS - for the ladies, I would suggest that a step or two up from cut-offs and a tank top would be more appropriate.
At least one step up from cut offs and a tank top. But more than that from white tie
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Cee
DIS Veteran

Ooo, yes, Flying Fish!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
aprescher
Mouseketeer

We loved loved loved captains grill!! It was so easy to get reservations at we ended up going 2 nights in a row! Such amazing food and service! We went straight from the park dressed very casual and had no problems.
aprescher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
tb1972
DIS Veteran

I tried to book CG but they aren't taking reservations yet. We haven't been there in many years and would love to go this Fall. If CG doesn't work out, we'll give FF a try. I just made that res as a back up plan. The menu looks great!

The kids won't be with us this trip so it will be a good opportunity to go some new places. They have their established favorites and some that have become family tradition.

tb1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
dvcbrad
dvcbrad

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1972 View Post
I tried to book CG but they aren't taking reservations yet. We haven't been there in many years and would love to go this Fall. If CG doesn't work out, we'll give FF a try. I just made that res as a back up plan. The menu looks great!

The kids won't be with us this trip so it will be a good opportunity to go some new places. They have their established favorites and some that have become family tradition.

I would highly suggest keeping the FF reservation vs. CG! Others may feel differently, but I think FF is one of the best dining experiences in the entire WDW property!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
dismedvc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb1972 View Post
I will be in the World for my birthday on Nov. 5th. DH and I dress up for work and like to be casual on vacation. Any ideas for a nice bday dinner at a restaurant w/o a dress code? We don't want to show up looking sloppy! It doesn't have to be a signature restaurant.

Thanks,
Tabatha
All the signature restaurants, (except V&A) have the following, or something very similar on their reservation page. The language below is from the California Grill page, although the CG is not currently taking reservations. Seems a lot more casual than business casual to me, given both men and women can wear "dress shorts".

"Dress Code
At this signature dining experience, Guests are asked to adhere to the dress code

Men may wear khakis, slacks, jeans or dress shorts and collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.

Women may wear Capri pants, skirts, dresses, jeans or dress shorts.

Not permitted are tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, hats for gentlemen, cut-offs, torn clothing and t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics.

Last edited by dismedvc; 07-01-2013 at 06:14 PM.
dismedvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Moved from DVC Boards

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran

Signatures do have a dress code, basically resort casual (whatever that really is). They generally are pretty slack on it though. My suggestion would be Narcoossee's or CA grill (if it were open then).
Old 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Attire at signature restaurants in the parks generally is more casual than at the resort restaurants. In fact, many of the in-park signatures do not have any dress code as they expect guests to be in park attire.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: