Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran
 
jaykorf001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KC MO area
Posts: 515

Favorite DVC Resort for a Family

My friend is planning her family's first trip to WDW for March. It will be 4 adults (couple and parents) and three kids ages 9, 7, and 4. What is everyone's favorite DVC and why? Will the GF DVC be done by March 2014? I assume it might be tough sledding to get a spot there but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2
 
MinnieGirl33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,565

For families with young kids, most will suggest BC, primarily for the pool & location.

The first reservations for VGF were available to members for check in dates beginning October 23 IIRC.
__________________
Me DH DS20 DS16 Minnie Mia


MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 View Post
For families with young kids, most will suggest BC, primarily for the pool & location.

The first reservations for VGF were available to members for check in dates beginning October 23 IIRC.
I agree with the Beach Club and small children. I think they would also enjoy a savannah view over at AKV.

The VGF is open now for booking in the 7-month window for dates starting 1/1/2014. I assume the the OP's friend will be renting points. She can rent now with a VGF owner in the 11-month window at a premium or she can wait until the 7-month window opens up in August. She will need to find someone willing to get online/call as soon as that window opens in the morning. If she books through David's DVC By Request he will find someone motivated enough to do it. FWIW, now will be the easiest time to book at VGF since there are so few owners to fill the rooms in the 11-month window.
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English
 
Marionnette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pleasure Island
Posts: 6,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I agree with the Beach Club and small children. I think they would also enjoy a savannah view over at AKV.

The VGF is open now for booking in the 7-month window for dates starting 1/1/2014. I assume the the OP's friend will be renting points. She can rent now with a VGF owner in the 11-month window at a premium or she can wait until the 7-month window opens up in August. She will need to find someone willing to get online/call as soon as that window opens in the morning. If she books through David's DVC By Request he will find someone motivated enough to do it. FWIW, now will be the easiest time to book at VGF since there are so few owners to fill the rooms in the 11-month window.
From what I have seen, VGF reservations are renting at the crazy rate of $16/pt. right now. If the OP wants to be near the MK and the monorail, she might want to also consider BLT just for the convenience of the location and the cheaper cost per pts. Added bonus, you can walk to the MK from BLT but you need to take the monorail or boat to get to VGF.
__________________
Opinions, suggestions and comments are based on my own experience and should not be regarded as the absolute and only possible outcome of any situation.
Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.





Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
From what I have seen, VGF reservations are renting at the crazy rate of $16/pt. right now. If the OP wants to be near the MK and the monorail, she might want to also consider BLT just for the convenience of the location and the cheaper cost per pts. Added bonus, you can walk to the MK from BLT but you need to take the monorail or boat to get to VGF.
If she waits until the 7-month window she won't have to pay a premium for renting out the points for VGF. But, you're right. BLT is right there. However, I think the rooms are quite small at BLT so it's rarely on my radar.
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran
 
jaykorf001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KC MO area
Posts: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I agree with the Beach Club and small children. I think they would also enjoy a savannah view over at AKV.

The VGF is open now for booking in the 7-month window for dates starting 1/1/2014. I assume the the OP's friend will be renting points. She can rent now with a VGF owner in the 11-month window at a premium or she can wait until the 7-month window opens up in August. She will need to find someone willing to get online/call as soon as that window opens in the morning. If she books through David's DVC By Request he will find someone motivated enough to do it. FWIW, now will be the easiest time to book at VGF since there are so few owners to fill the rooms in the 11-month window.
Thanks. Yes, she's planning to rent points thru Dave's.

She's familiar with BC in the sense that another friend stayed there with her family this past spring. I have read, of course with a grain of salt, that many people find the busing system for the Epcot resorts problematic. I know it's a great location for Epcot and HS. I've also been reading that the BC villas are a little tired. However, I think this would be a bigger deal for me than her.
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykorf001 View Post
Thanks. Yes, she's planning to rent points thru Dave's.

She's familiar with BC in the sense that another friend stayed there with her family this past spring. I have read, of course with a grain of salt, that many people find the busing system for the Epcot resorts problematic. I know it's a great location for Epcot and HS. I've also been reading that the BC villas are a little tired. However, I think this would be a bigger deal for me than her.
There are "issues" with every resort at WDW and the bus system is one of them for the Epcot resorts. I don't know what came first, the chicken or the egg. Is the bus system crappy because no one takes it so they don't have to run them often, or does no one take the bus because it's crappy? In any case, I wouldn't let the bus system be a deal breaker.
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran
 
jaykorf001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KC MO area
Posts: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
There are "issues" with every resort at WDW and the bus system is one of them for the Epcot resorts. I don't know what came first, the chicken or the egg. Is the bus system crappy because no one takes it so they don't have to run them often, or does no one take the bus because it's crappy? In any case, I wouldn't let the bus system be a deal breaker.
Agreed. No resort and no location perfect for all the parks. I just wondered, assuming they're spending most of their time at MK, whether that location would be good. Obviously BC has the best pool for the kids.

She told me money is not much of an issue (although I'm not sure she truly understands how much VGF might be) -- faint. Since its brand new and so close to MK that's probably what I'd try for assuming I could afford it. I assume there'll be a new pool with the DVC there? Does anyone know anything about it?

Her husband is a foodie and they're planning to go out to eat a couple nights while her parents keep the kids. I suggested bluezoo(sp?) The Todd English restaurant at the Swolphin, and Victoria and Alberts -- maybe Jiko.
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac
 
stargazertechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,959

I'm going to suggest OKW- it's got the largest rooms and with that many people they will appreciate the extra space!
__________________
14 Trips total including POFQ, ASMU, CBR, AKL, WL, POP, and a trip to Disneyland!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran
 
pepe of ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border
Posts: 6,482

You're going to get every villa on property as the best, might as well throw in our choice..

Wilderness Lodge Villa... Based on location.. On Bay Lake... lake breezes always blowing, excellent boat ride to the MK, FW, and CR. the access to 3 monorail resorts a stones throw away is great for eating, shopping and lounging plus their arcades...
__________________
"May you live as long as you want and never want for as long as you live".

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,934

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykorf001 View Post
My friend is planning her family's first trip to WDW for March. It will be 4 adults (couple and parents) and three kids ages 9, 7, and 4. What is everyone's favorite DVC and why? Will the GF DVC be done by March 2014? I assume it might be tough sledding to get a spot there but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
We haven't stayed in any of the villas so I can't comment on one over another from experience, but if I had to choose one, my first choice would be VGF, followed by VWL and BLT. We love the MK area, as well as the variety of dining options among all of the MK resorts .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieGirl33 View Post
The first reservations for VGF were available to members for check in dates beginning October 23 IIRC.
Cash reservations are also available . I got a quote for a 1 bedroom villa as we were considering staying there for a few nights in December.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.