Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
tsaucedo
Earning My Ears

Did u bring ur stroller?

I have a britax b ready stroller and its wheels are pretty big and wide. I'm concerned about being able to push it down the hallways of the ship. Are the hallways narrow, where I won't be able to fit my stroller through them?
tsaucedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

Strollers are not very convenient on the ships because of small elevators, narrow hallways, and housekeeping carts. You will find many people don't bring them (and the rest of us thank them for that)! The ones that work the best are the the most basic sling types.

If you do bring it please oh please fold it up while you're in the elevators.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809 View Post
....If you do bring it please oh please fold it up while you're in the elevators.

So instead you would prefer the person to hold onto the folded up stroller, the diaper bag, the sippy cup, and whatever else was stored in the basket below it and have the toddler who was sitting in the stroller running around?

Would you tell that to someone using a wheelchair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
How would a stroller be helpful if it has to be folded up on the elevator?
Exactly! It's not like you push a stroller around for no reason. If you need a stroller, use it. We used them on a few cruises and brought our Jeep Cherokee because it was more comfortable for DD. IMO those umbrella strollers are useless, not at all comfortable for the kids because they give no support. Bring one your child will be comfortable in, and one that reclines. One time both kids were sleeping at 5:15 so after dressing them for dinner DH went down to GS and got a second stroller from GS. We put each of the kids in a stroller and went to dinner. Both of them were next to our table while we ate dinner. They woke up about an hour into the meal and after they woke up DH returned the strollers to our room, while the servers quickly brought out their food. This happened a couple times with at least one of the kids each of our first three cruises.

We stayed forward so used those elevators and never had a problem having room. The midship elevators are the busiest. Also, even without strollers now we find that if you are willing to go the opposite way you need to go, you will get there faster. On deck 3 going up may be full elevators each time they open, but going down they won't be -- and that same elevator will be going up in just a moment and you will be on it.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #4
cris0809

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Would you tell that to someone using a wheelchair?
Most of the time, and this isn't always true, but most of the time when you get in an elevator with a family using a stroller there are multiple adults together. Before they get on they fold it in half (as many do easily these days) and one adult holds the kid. Many do it it this way and are obviously taking the small elevator spaces into account. Being considerate of others.

In my ten cruises I have seen very few people hauling a baby bag, a sippy cup, a stroller and a child around the ship. There is little need as the room is always a few steps away. Not many people use strollers on the ship and that's just a fact. You see them hauled on and you see them hauled off. You see them used for excursions. For all the children on a Disney cruise there could be a zoo of strollers but there isn't. They are simply not required all of the time.

As to your wheelchair statement they aren't even CLOSE to the same thing. I'm disabled. I know the difference.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Strollers are not very convenient on the ships because of small elevators, narrow hallways, and housekeeping carts. You will find many people don't bring them (and the rest of us thank them for that)! The ones that work the best are the the most basic sling types.

We are cruising on July and plan on bringing a stroller so that if our little one wants a quick nap I can lay him down and pull the sunshade over and no I don't plan on folding it up on the elevator or anywhere else. Use the stairs!!!
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
cris0809

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockotaco View Post
We are cruising on July and plan on bringing a stroller so that if our little one wants a quick nap I can lay him down and pull the sunshade over and no I don't plan on folding it up on the elevator or anywhere else. Use the stairs!!!
Guess you didn't read that I mentioned a few times that I am disabled (and sometimes in a wheelchair).

For able-bodied folks I encourage the use of the stairs. Now who is being rude?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Guess you didn't read that I mentioned a few times that I am disabled (and sometimes in a wheelchair).

For able-bodied folks I encourage the use of the stairs. Now who is being rude?
No one is being ride. Just wanted to make sure I pointed out to the OP that YOU DO NOT NEED TO FOLD UP YOUR STROLLER in an elevator while on the ship. It's a Disney cruise prepare for kids, strollers, diaper bags etc.... Just the way I see it. Your initial assertion that others appreciate it when we fold up or don't bring our stroller is wrong. Maybe you do. To the OP I have cruised numerous time with a stroller and have never had an issue. Bring it as you would in normal everyday life. This is your vacation have fun and don't worry if someone has to wait an extra couple minutes to get in an elevator or wait an extra second to pass in a hall.
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockotaco View Post
No one is being ride. Just wanted to make sure I pointed out to the OP that YOU DO NOT NEED TO FOLD UP YOUR STROLLER in an elevator while on the ship. It's a Disney cruise prepare for kids, strollers, diaper bags etc.... Just the way I see it. Your initial assertion that others appreciate it when we fold up or don't bring our stroller is wrong. Maybe you do. To the OP I have cruised numerous time with a stroller and have never had an issue. Bring it as you would in normal everyday life. This is your vacation have fun and don't worry if someone has to wait an extra couple minutes to get in an elevator or wait an extra second to pass in a hall.
Hmm... I thought it was MY vacation, too. I think it's 100% possible for someone to enjoy their vacation and also be conscious and considerate of the fact that everyone else around them is on vacation as well.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaucedo View Post
I have a britax b ready stroller and its wheels are pretty big and wide. I'm concerned about being able to push it down the hallways of the ship. Are the hallways narrow, where I won't be able to fit my stroller through them?
I'd say the hallways are just wide enough for two people to pass (as long as they both turn sideways a little). Maybe about 5' wide (no more). If your stroller takes up too much of the hallway, you won't be able to get it past the housekeeping carts that seem to reside in the hallways.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
cris0809

Also, they aren't allowed in the dining rooms, you have to park them outside. There is just not enough room for strollers and people and tables and servers trying to do their jobs.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
Keurigirl
let's all sing like the birdies sing

You might want to consider bringing a nice umbrella style stroller instead. Something like a Macleran or similar.
Disney Cruises: W. Caribbean 3/12, Alaska 8/12, W. Caribbean 4/13, Alaska 8/13, Transatlantic 5/14, Alaska 8/14 next trip: Alaska 8/15
Keurigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

I'm bringing a smallish one; it's a bit sturdier than an umbrella stroller, but much smaller than a travel-system one. I can't imagine excursions without one.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris0809

feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It doesn't have to be folded up. It's just that the elevators are quite small on cruiseships (think about maybe 6-9 people max). Strollers take up a lot of real estate there.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #15
cris0809

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
It doesn't have to be folded up. It's just that the elevators are quite small on cruiseships (think about maybe 6-9 people max). Strollers take up a lot of real estate there.
It still can be helpful if you fold it up in the elevator? Take the child out for the 2 minute ride so that a few more people can fit. I'm sorry if it's inconvenient but when the ship is bustling it helps if people are considerate. It makes me crazy when people say "Oh there's no more room sorry!" because of a stroller. Or anytime there is still space to be had. Yes you have to be a little squishy for a minute but not all of us can use stairs. I'm disabled and so using the elevator isn't optional.

I have had issues with people in wheelchairs too (and I use one sometimes myself, thank you). Our last cruise a woman insisted there was no more room with just herself and one wheelchair in the midship elevator. She was snippy and snide. It's all about making the tiniest bit of effort.

Yes of course if you have a special needs stroller or wheelchair they will allow it in the dining rooms, that is an entirely different matter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: