Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Twin Sisters on the Fantasy - Eastern Caribbean

Hi, my twin sister and I just got off a 7 night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy Cruise that went from June 17th to June 22nd.

The participants:
Me - 37 (+8 minutes) year old teacher
My Dear Sister- also 37 years old

Arriving

We got up and were on the road at a little before 8:30. Since we live in Tampa, we got a ride down there. Got on I-4, got off....and then the toll roads began So many toll roads....

Got to the terminal around 10:30 and they started letting us in shortly after that. The terminal was pretty empty, so we were able to find some seats. Then who should arrive, but Captain Mickey!

That's me on the left with the dark rim glasses and cars shirt and my DS on the right. We then took some pictures around the terminal.

The boarding ears!

We were boarding group number twelve so we still had some time. We got a water and some snacks from the vending machine, then took a look outside at the ship.

Got a copy of the navigator and while at our seat, my DS diligently started planning :-)

Soon our number was called and it was time to board! First stop...lunch, of course.

tbc...

Last edited by amityisland; 06-26-2013 at 06:19 PM.
amityisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to see your pics!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Boarding

So we walked through those magical ears and got out first professional photo.

First order of business was finding a map of the ship. By the end of the week, we had it down, but at first I didn't know my aft from my port. We quickly circled our room, 2517, on the map and saw that Enchanted Garden was open for buffet lunch! Win! We didn't want to mess with too many crowds right away as everything was sort of overwhelming, so we went to the inside buffet and not Cabanas. We were quickly taken to our seats (hey, we got one of those cool booths) and took turns going up to get our food while the other sister guarded out purses and bags.

a pretty chandelier

While we were at lunch, we noticed the other cruise ship in Port Canaveral

This look says, "Glad we're here and not there!"

It still wasn't 1:30 yet, so we went up top to take some pictures. It was nice to look around, but it was very hot before we started moving.

While up top, we saw a fire in the distance. Not sure if it was a wildfire or a controlled burn somewhere. You can also see a very hazy NASA building to the far right.

It was almost 1:30, so we waited in the halls for a bit for them to drop the rope. Yeah, inside out room at last. We had an inside cabin with a magical porthole. Throughout the cruise, whenever one of us saw the porthole was beginning to show a Disney animation, cries of "Pixiedust!" were uttered and the other one would drop whatever we were doing to see which animation the window showed this time.

All in all, I was very happy with the room. It was fine for just the two of us. We rotated who got to sleep in the bed and who got the couch bed. I'm 5 ft. 3 and the couch bed just fit me though. And until you get used to it, there's a step down from the bathroom door that got us a few times.

After cooling off for a bit, we went down to Guest Services to sign up for the Art of the Theme Tour for the following day.

Next up: touring the kids club areas for fun and keeping cool while sailing away...
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Fun TR so far! Looking forward to more...and hopefully lots of pics of the Fantasy. We are hoping to sail the Fantasy for our next cruise!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
jsbgeo
Earning My Ears

Looks great! We're sailing on the Fantasy in August - can't wait!
jsbgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your trip report. I especially love all the pictures!

Is that a virtual porthole?
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #7
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying your photo-filled TR. Thanks for sharing
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
amityisland
Mouseketeer

St. Martin - Day 3

So on Day 3 we arrived at St. Martin. The weather started off a little overcast, but never rained. We were going on the "Sea and See" excursion tour...a half submarine boat tour to see fishes and coral and then a bus "tour" of the french side of the island with a "shopping" stop in Marigot. Turns our the tour had its good and bad parts lol.

Got up early to meet in the Tube for our excursion. While walking there. we took some shots of St. Martin from deck 4:

the dock

On the way to the tube, we made a quick restroom stop:

Waiting in the tube for our excursion to begin:

Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Our group and the Butterfly farm group were both meeting in the Tube. You went up with your key card, your excursion ticket and photo id (passport or drivers license) for any members or you party over 18. I felt bad for some elderly people as they had forgot to bring photo ids and had to go back to the room to get them...I think this happened with other people on the St. Thomas excursion too, so remember...photo ids if you're over 18!

Then, depending on which excursion you were booked on, you got stickers (we got red Donald stickers). These stickers corresponded with picture on padels that your guides held up. Our excursion wasn't too crowded..about a bus full of people. So we followed out paddles and disembarked:

Our bus driver was "Angel Gabriel" and our guide was "Chanel #5." They were nice, but the bus tour of the island wasn't really anything. Some parts of the island weren't very nice. There was one part where you stopped for a scenic overview for 5 minutes and were allowed to get off the bus and take pictures, but we really didn't feel like it. The neat part was the sub. We drove to the dock and got on the boat. Now, we don't have any pictures of the sub part with the fish as it was hard to get pictures, but we saw lots of cool fish and coral.

Here are some pics at the dock and on the boat before we went underneath to the viewing area:

We saw a bunch of children swimming when we got there...turns out it was their gym class!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
amityisland
Mouseketeer

I enjoyed the sub. Then we were driven to Marigot and given an hour to shop. Overall, it was very touristy and DS and I went into one shop where I got a pendant and DS got a rum sampler for Mom and Dad. It was kind of boring, so we went into this little cafe and got banana smoothees.

They were really good...better than the one I had on the ship. It was nice to get away from the touristy shops and crowds for a bit. Then it was time to get back on the bus. We were given an option of getting off in Phillipsburg for more shopping (you had to get your own transportation back). Only one family decided to get off. Overall, it was kind of "meh", I did enjoy the boat but nothing else was really special.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Back on the ship, we had lunch at Royal Court again:

smoked salmon

Bruschetta

Pulled Pork sandwich

Apricot tart

We went ahead and changed into out Pirate t-shirts for Pirate night.
This afternoon's entertainment was Iron Man 3. Neither one of us wanted to see it, so we had a lot of time to kill before our dinner at 8:15.

So we chose to first go to the adult pool. It was nice, a few people but not too crowded. I liked Satellite Falls, even though the misting was not turned on. We also got to finally ride the Aquaduck ...twice. Its true what they say about riding it on port days...it really wasn't crowded at all and very little wait.

Then we finally hit the rainforest room. First we tried out the showers with the colored light, scents and sounds. Some of those showers were cold!!!
I think I liked the "water fun" one the best. Then we went to the heated lounge chairs and the jacuzzi. They were relaxing and the jacuzzi had a lovely view of the island (only broken up by the window washer coming by...but at least he was quick!).

Still had lots of time to kill, so we decided we wanted to peak into the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. Didn't exactly get to do so as two family members seemed to be in the middle of a heated arguement outside the door to it, but we did get to take pictures of the decorations outside it:

Then we finally finished up the Muppet Detective game and solved the case of the missing props:

I called him later :-)

While we were out, we saw Mickey in his Caribbean shirt, so we stopped to get a picture:

Hmmm...bases on our t-shirts this may have been another day. Oh well lol. I remember Mickey pointing to my t-shirt. I explained that it was a Doctor Who t-shirt. Mickey scratched his head and shrugged his shoulders. Guess Mickey isn't a big Doctor Who fan :-)

Last edited by amityisland; 07-01-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Castaway Cay!

Got up early to get our stuff together and apply the sunscreen. Met out in the hallway and waited for the "rope drop" to let us off the boat. And who was there...CM Anthony again!

We got off in the forward section and were one of the first groups off the boat.
We took the tram to the snorkel beach area to rent snorkel fins. Well, I made the mistake of (a) getting fins which were too big for me and (b) trying to put the fins on on the beach and trying to walk into the water....and promptly fell onto my behind! I thought, "the heck with this" and abandoned my fins on our chair and decided to swim without them.

It worked out ok and DS took her underwater camera with us this time. But the "points of interest" like the Nautilus and the Mickey statue were waaaaay out there. Quite a swim for us. I got confused which buoys they were at and we went to the wrong set of buoys first, Finally asked one of the lifeguards where the heck the Mickey statue was and he pointed which colored buoy to go to. If I had to do it all over again, I would ask questions first! Then we swam the looong way back to shore. We were probably in the water snorkling for about two hours and although we had planned to check out Serenity Bay, we were pretty tired and decided to go back to the ship. Oh well, something to look forward to for the next cruise!

We saw another Barracuda!

One of my favorite shots. The ship from the snorkeling lagoon:

On our way back, we got shots with Mickey and Chip and Dale in their beach outfits. DS has vetoed the posting of the Mickey photo due to aesthetic reasons but here's Chip and Dale:

Next: some nice views from the ship and a movie!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amityisland View Post
Castaway Cay!

Got up early to get our stuff together and apply the sunscreen. Met out in the hallway and waited for the "rope drop" to let us off the boat. And who was there...CM Anthony again!

We got off in the forward section and were one of the first groups off the boat.
We took the tram to the snorkel beach area to rent snorkel fins. Well, I made the mistake of (a) getting fins which were too big for me and (b) trying to put the fins on on the beach and trying to walk into the water....and promptly fell onto my behind! I thought, "the heck with this" and abandoned my fins on our chair and decided to swim without them.

It worked out ok and DS took her underwater camera with us this time. But the "points of interest" like the Nautilus and the Mickey statue were waaaaay out there. Quite a swim for us. I got confused which buoys they were at and we went to the wrong set of buoys first, Finally asked one of the lifeguards where the heck the Mickey statue was and he pointed which colored buoy to go to. If I had to do it all over again, I would ask questions first! Then we swam the looong way back to shore. We were probably in the water snorkling for about two hours and although we had planned to check out Serenity Bay, we were pretty tired and decided to go back to the ship. Oh well, something to look forward to for the next cruise!

Next: some nice views from the ship and a movie!
Great underwater shots, and I love the pic of the ship from the snorkeling area too! Thanks again for posting your report and pics!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
amityisland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Great underwater shots, and I love the pic of the ship from the snorkeling area too! Thanks again for posting your report and pics!!
Thanks! DS gets all the credit for the underwater shots. I was really happy with her photos

DS and I headed back to our room to take showers. Then proceeded to a virtually deserted Cabanas for lunch (I do not believe Royal Court was open on this day). It just seemed like it was us and some of the ships crew lol. While we were up there we got some nice shots of the island:

these are mainly looking down at the boating area/boat rental/sailing lagoon

Don't have clear water like this in the Gulf!

the jet ski excursion looked like it was returning:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: