Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
traceyw
Mouseketeer

Dining Plan not worth it?

We are going to WDW for 10 nights at the end of August. We've been there every year for the last 7 years, but we have never gone in August (always gone October-January), so it will be our first trip in extreme heat. We are staying at the Beach Club so we can enjoy the pool. I've made dining reservations, and some of them are in the afternoon since I think we will need the break from the heat. The dining plan will add $145 per day for myself, DH, and my two DD's (7 and 9). That was more than I expected and now I'm not sure it's worth it. Thoughts?

traceyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
isaboo
Mouseketeer

We're going in August as well and we're not doing DDP this time. I'm only interested in table service and snacks, but not as many table service as in the DxDP. Also my oldest is now a Disney Adult, and there's no way she'll eat that much. We'll be sharing lots of meals. We're getting Disney gift cards from Target and that's how we will pay.

isaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
donnaf516
DIS Veteran

You really need to look at the menus for the restaurants you're going to and do the math. It works out for our family, but might not for yours. Do the Disney Math

August 2010 - POR
August 2011 - CBR
February 2012 - Pop
August 2012 - BC
August 2013 - POFQ
donnaf516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceyw View Post
That was more than I expected and now I'm not sure it's worth it. Thoughts?
Worth really depends on the person. You'll find folks here who love the DDP and those who hate it.

Some folks love it because of the convenience of knowing that things have been pre-paid for and not having to worry about the cost at the meal (so they can go ahead and order the most expensive thing without feeling guilty).

Others hate it because they feel it's restricting and limiting and hard to make it economically worth while.

For your family, are you likely to eat at a TS meal everyday? Do you typically order expensive entrees or go to character buffets?

My general rule of thumb (for the 2013 DDP prices) is that a QS meal is about $17.50, a snack is about $4.00, so the TS meal needs to come to about $34.50 to break even. If you think your TS meal bill is likely to be more than $34.50 (with tax) per adult, then it might not be a bad thing to get the DDP. If you likely to have less expensive TS meals, then it might not be economically worthwhile.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
herb102211
DIS Veteran

We used to do the dining plan but find that it’s not really valuable anymore. We tried the DxDP once and its just way too much food in one day. The regular DP doesn’t offer enough TS credits a day (we usually eat 2 TS meals a day) so we end up just paying OOP now.

*Food, Wine & Christmas Time..A November 2012 TR*
Wining & Dining Around the World~ An October '13 TR
5/08- Offsite, 5/09- Pop Century, 11/09 (engagement!)- Pop Century, 3/10- Pop Century/Disney Wonder 4 Nt Bahamas, 9/10- Pop Century, 3/11- Beach Club/ Disney Dream 3 Nt Bahamas, 5/11- Beach Club, 10/11- (Disneymoon) Beach Club, 12/11-Beach Club 3/12- BCV/BLT , 5/12- BCV/OKW/BLT, 9/12-BWV/BCV/BLT/AoA, 11/12- BCV 2/13- BCV/OKW, 4/13-BWV, 9/13- BWV, 10/13- Yacht Club , 2/14- BWV, 4/14- BWV/WL, 7/14- Yacht Club-CL, 10/14- Yacht Club
Me (28) DH (28)
herb102211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
saskdw
DIS Veteran

With the latest round of price increases its hard to justify paying for the DDP. It's still a great promo as FD to fill rooms, but not so much if you pay for it.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

It's dicey if the plan is worth it. The Podcasts here seem to indicate that the regular dining plan is probably not worth it. I agree unless you book a lot of character meals or buffets. The quick service DP is definitely not worth it.

We got the regular DP last January and because we always eat breakfast in the rooms we found that the plan provided too much food through the day with a snack, QS meal/dessert, and TS meal/dessert per day. We just don't eat that much food. I would never pay full price for it.

As a PP said, look at the menus where you want to eat and do the math for yourself.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaf516
You really need to look at the menus for the restaurants you're going to and do the math. It works out for our family, but might not for yours. Do the Disney Math
This.
You've made your ADRs, so look at the menus and (best you can) guess what each person may order. You guys more than likely have favorite CS spots and can determine what each person will order. Then add it up.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Belleandtinker
DIS Veteran

Everyone has to do the math for themselves. When we did the math, we broke about even. For us, we don't want to keep track of what to eat, who eats what, etc. We just want to eat and pay.

We are snacking family - which we bring our own too.

Good luck with the calculator.
June 1982 – WDW Treehouse Villas; March 1988 – WDW Off-Site; September 1992 – WDW Disney Institute and Off-Site; April 1997 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; April 2002 – DL Off-Site; April 2003 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2004 – DL Paradise Pier; April 2005 – DLP Off-Site; April 2008 – WDW Port Orleans French Quarter; January 2009 – WDW Caribbean Beach Resort; April 2010 – WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2011 - WDW Coronado Springs/Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2012 - WDW Coronado Springs/Caribbean Beach Resort; October 2012 - WDW All Star Movie; March 2013 - DL Grand Califorian; October 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter; May 2015 - ?

Belleandtinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
amyj1024
Mouseketeer

We are here now, and not doing the DDP, we have done it in the past. there are 4 of us, 2 adults/2 'kids' (6 & 10) so my daughter would have been charged adult price. We have been keeping track, after I predicted that it would be cheaper for us to pay oop... we leave tomorrow and are at about 400 less than it would cost for us to do DDP.
That said, we are not dessert eaters and didn't do snacks every day, we had some snacks in our hotel and stuff but not more than twice at the parks... We also did not order the most expensive thing on the menu. My total also includes my husband getting about 2 beers with most table service meals.
We ate at:
Shutters, Big River Brewery, Le Chefs in France, Le Cellier, Whispering Canyon, Crystal Palace for our table service and a bunch of counter service. My dd ordered off the kid menu about half of the time and adult the other half.
I think after this I would never do Dining again. I'm shocked at how much we saved. There is a website where you can download an excel file that will help you do the math for this..I can't remember what it is right now, but I can check when I get home!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
wdwfan22
Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

We have always done the dining plan, as my family is big eaters and likes to order the most expensive thing on the menu, likes deserts, and likes to have it prepaid so we don't feel guily ordering the most expensive thing.

But with this latest increase this week, I have made a spreadsheet and guessed which meal we would eat at each place, and can't seem to see how it might save us more than a few dollars, if anything at all. I think they have lost us as DDP users. And with that benefit gone, I am also now looking at staying off property. I hope they come to their senses soon, as see they are pricing a lot of mid income families out of options.

I know Disney has to make money, but they make plenty, and I just don't think (without starting the how would I know what Walt would have wanted responses) Walt would have wanted this. He wanted a place for people to come enjoy time together as a family. Not gouge them for every nickle and dime.

Disneyland - 1968 - 1982 - too many times to count; June 1984; June 1986; summer 1991; summer 1993; July 6 - 11 2003; November 11 - 20 2010; April 29 - May 3 2011; Feb 3 - 8 2012
Disney World - February 1983; August 1988; April 29 - May 9 1999; Nov 30 - Dec 10 2001; Jan 3 -12 2007; Dec 9 - 21 2008; Dec 2 - 8 2009; Sep 30 - Oct 9 2012
Disney World - Jan 2 - 12 2014 Yea!!
wdwfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
dcolleenkelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyj1024 View Post
We are here now, and not doing the DDP, we have done it in the past. there are 4 of us, 2 adults/2 'kids' (6 & 10) so my daughter would have been charged adult price. We have been keeping track, after I predicted that it would be cheaper for us to pay oop... we leave tomorrow and are at about 400 less than it would cost for us to do DDP.
That said, we are not dessert eaters and didn't do snacks every day, we had some snacks in our hotel and stuff but not more than twice at the parks... We also did not order the most expensive thing on the menu. My total also includes my husband getting about 2 beers with most table service meals.
We ate at:
Shutters, Big River Brewery, Le Chefs in France, Le Cellier, Whispering Canyon, Crystal Palace for our table service and a bunch of counter service. My dd ordered off the kid menu about half of the time and adult the other half.
I think after this I would never do Dining again. I'm shocked at how much we saved. There is a website where you can download an excel file that will help you do the math for this..I can't remember what it is right now, but I can check when I get home!
I used that spreadsheet, also. I wish I could remember where I found it...

We've never been to Disney but will be going in August. When I compared the cost of the Dining Plan to our Out of Pocket estimations, we saved almost $300 (with 2 adults, one "Disney" adult who is 11, which I think is ridiculous by the way, and one child who is 9). We were hoping for Free Dining because it would have been the only way we could have afforded a table service meal every day. But the last week in August got squeezed out of any discounts this year. So, we ended up booking off-site and resigned ourselves to cooking our own breakfast and lunch or dinner, depending on what park we're at that day. This saved us another $200 or $300 in dining costs (as well as an additional $500 of savings on our accommodations). We only have two Advanced Dining Reservations - one for Chef Mickey's and one for Sanaa. That's all we can afford.

This vacation is giving me grey hairs. I hope it's worth all of the money and stress it has taken to plan it. We've never been to Disney and I'm not sure if we will ever go again. What a capitalistic organization - raising prices left and right. I can't believe people can afford to visit multiple times.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
mickeysbestfriend
DIS Veteran

If you eat the way

the DDP is set up and don't do Signatures and always order desert you might break even at best but you have to order the most expensive things on the menu and keep in mind that the plan does NOT include tax or tip. That can add 25% to your bill.

We prefer something in our room for breakfast or Trails End Buffet.

We NEVER eat desert with a meal and always order water to keep hydrated.

We do our big meal at lunch where at most places it is cheaper then in the evening if we get hungry we have an ice cream or head to DTD for EOS!

Good luck with figuring it out...there are lots of good less expensive dining options like the Plaza, Flame Tree BBQ, CHH, etc.

DVC owner-Old Key West
Stockholder
Annual pass holder
TIW member (hate the name)

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...wtac9ku7u8.png
mickeysbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
jhryb
DIS Veteran

If I did the math I would probably say that we save approx 15%-20% when we purchase the dining plan. My family would never consider going without the dining plan because to us it is part of the Magic. We can order the most expensive items on the menu, we can grab a snack during the day, we can have a nice counter service lunch .... and everything is pre-paid .... love it.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
wdwfan22
Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhryb View Post
If I did the math I would probably say that we save approx 15%-20% when we purchase the dining plan. My family would never consider going without the dining plan because to us it is part of the Magic. We can order the most expensive items on the menu, we can grab a snack during the day, we can have a nice counter service lunch .... and everything is pre-paid .... love it.
It certainly used to. But you said "if i did the math". Have you done it lately with this new price increase? It certainly surprised me!!!

Disneyland - 1968 - 1982 - too many times to count; June 1984; June 1986; summer 1991; summer 1993; July 6 - 11 2003; November 11 - 20 2010; April 29 - May 3 2011; Feb 3 - 8 2012
Disney World - February 1983; August 1988; April 29 - May 9 1999; Nov 30 - Dec 10 2001; Jan 3 -12 2007; Dec 9 - 21 2008; Dec 2 - 8 2009; Sep 30 - Oct 9 2012
Disney World - Jan 2 - 12 2014 Yea!!
wdwfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: