Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
love5pets
Mouseketeer

pillow case signing for boys ???

I love the Mickey Mouse pillow cases on etsy but afraid to order one for my Grandson. Do boys around 8-9 think that it is UN-cool to sleep on a Mickey Mouse pillow case with autographs (even if it's Mickey with a pirate hat on)?

My Grandson is very into watching sports and loves to go on the rides at Disneyland, just not so sure about the whole Mickey Mouse thing.
It's a no brainer for my young grandaughters...they'll be so excited! We're taking our Grandkids on Magic cruise.

What's your opinion/experience with elementary age boys? Thanks!
love5pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
ktaggie
Mouseketeer

My boys each have one. They are 10, 7, and 2. We also made a family one and live that bit is for a throw pillow
ktaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by love5pets View Post
I love the Mickey Mouse pillow cases on etsy but afraid to order one for my Grandson. Do boys around 8-9 think that it is UN-cool to sleep on a Mickey Mouse pillow case with autographs (even if it's Mickey with a pirate hat on)?

My Grandson is very into watching sports and loves to go on the rides at Disneyland, just not so sure about the whole Mickey Mouse thing.
It's a no brainer for my young grandaughters...they'll be so excited! We're taking our Grandkids on Magic cruise.

What's your opinion/experience with elementary age boys? Thanks!
He'll love it. If he only wants certain characters to sign, he can request only those (no Princesses) but really a pillowcase is pretty unisex.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
momma2
Mouseketeer

For 6 and 8yr old boys I had a skull and crossbones embroidered by their name (where the younger kids got characters). A nice tie-in to Pirate Night and not so juvenile for the 'big' boys

All our cases were signed by a variety of characters.
momma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
love5pets
Mouseketeer

I like the idea of the skull and crossbones embroidered for my Grandson. Where did you have it done? I do not do any type crafts and was planning to order off of ETSY or maybe there are other sites ??

Thanks for the replies!
Old 06-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Both my boys 8 and 10 year old boys want an autographed pillow case but I'd go with superheroes if I were you. I believe what you last see or think about at night contributes to the kind of sleep you have...so a skull and cross bones wouldn't be my suggestion. Maybe Captain America shield? Or just a black mickey hat perhaps with a non threatening pirate hat? Just my 2 cents.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

I'm getting one with a Disney cruise ship applique on it for my 8 year old DS. I'm pretty sure he'll love it!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
living20057
DIS Veteran

It's a great keepsake. We took ours to members services soon as we arrived and picked it up with tons of signatures. Some whom we didn't get to see on the ship.

----------
2002 - Off site
2009 - All Star
2010 - BLT, AKV, DCL
2011 - Disneyland Paris, AKV
2012 - Hilton Head, Aulani, Wilderness Lodge, MNSSHP, Vero
2013 - Hilton Head, SSR, OKW, AKV
2014 - Grand Californian, Aulani, Boardwalk Villas
living20057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

We got pillowcases as a wonderful FE gift. They are king sized pillowcases and are completely covered in signatures. No embroidery or appliqués. My 7-year-old twins love them. They don't even care that princesses are on it (but you can absolutely request to have them left off).

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
aaklang
Mouseketeer

It doesn't have to have Mickey Mouse on it. Get an image of the cruise ship plus the sail date and name of the ship. It might seem less babyish to him that way.

Or, do something besides a pillowcase. Get a photo mat that he can use for a photo from the trip. Does he like baseball? Have them sign a baseball for him. Or maybe you can think of something related to another hobby.

My son was five at the time of our cruise (daughter was almost two) and I got them aprons.

There are tons of great things to sign that aren't pillowcases.
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
love5pets
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaklang View Post
It doesn't have to have Mickey Mouse on it. Get an image of the cruise ship plus the sail date and name of the ship. It might seem less babyish to him that way.

Or, do something besides a pillowcase. Get a photo mat that he can use for a photo from the trip. Does he like baseball? Have them sign a baseball for him. Or maybe you can think of something related to another hobby.

My son was five at the time of our cruise (daughter was almost two) and I got them aprons.

There are tons of great things to sign that aren't pillowcases.
Thanks....the baseball is a great idea. I didn't know they would sign that! He loves baseball and won't out grow that.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
momma2
Mouseketeer

My mom made all the pillowcases, and embroidery as well. The skull and crossbones were done in variegated red/yellow/black.

There are lots of embroidery patterns of all types. I would bet many Etsy artists would be willing to work with you!
momma2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: