Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
jdfmommy
Earning My Ears

watching nfl football

I'm hoping to go WDW in the fall to take advantage of free dining. But we'll probably be there for the NFL season opener, which my DH will NOT want to miss as we are die-hard Ravens fans.

If this trip happens we'll most likely be staying at Pop Century or POFQ.

Most obvious place to watch the game would be ESPN Club on the BW, but exactly HOW early would we need to be there to get a table? And, how to get there and back? We'll most likely have a car, but DS and I would certainly head back to the hotel well before the game ended, probably leaving car for DH.

If we're at POFQ, it'd be really easy to take the boat to/from DTD, but I don't know where would be a good choice to eat/watch. What about the resort lounge? I imagine the regular Thursday night entertainment would still be scheduled, but are there tvs in all the lounges or just some?

If we're at Pop, I don't think there's a lounge, so, not sure what close options are there.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
-Jenniifer
jdfmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

I am also curious...we are going in September for the first time and would prefer not to miss a Browns game...

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

I haven't tried to watch a football game at ESPN Club but watched a soccer match there this past March. For a Thursday night game you can probably watch at the resort lounge since it will be a national broadcast but I'd go to the ESPN club or DTD. From either of the resorts you can take a cab to Boardwalk. As far as when to be there I'd say two hours before kick-off. The food at ESPN club is only so-so but you can eat and hang out. And some folks can sit at the table while others walk around the Boardwalk.

If going to DTD Raglan Road might work. Best option at DTD might be Splitsville.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
jdfmommy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Since it's a Thursday night game, I would say maybe an hour before kickoff which is at 8:30. That would give you time to be seated, order, eat and then enjoy some of the game.
An hour before wouldn't be bad at all! Definitely doable.

Quote:
Let your husband take a cab to your resort. It's very easy from the Boardwalk and, I don't know this for sure, but if he's had a few, it would be good to let someone else do the driving. If he doesn't drink, the game will be over close to midnight so it would be good to have someone else drive at night.
LOL. He actually doesn't drink much. My original thought was that driving would be easier for him - not the best sense of direction - than trying to navigate some sort of bus-hopping, but a cab would be easier still.

Quote:
If going to DTD Raglan Road might work. Best option at DTD might be Splitsville.
don't actually know much about either of those. Is Splitsville an actual restaurant with bowling attached?

Thanks!
jdfmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
JimboCh
Mouseketeer

Since the Ravens lost half their players from last year, it might be best to go to one of the parks that night and skip the game?
JimboCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
chartle
DIS Veteran

The more obvious is your room, unless you normally go out to see the game.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
That's So Raven
Mouseketeer

Every time I've ever been to the ESPN club during football season it hasn't been packed. I got there at least an hour before the game started. The only thing I can tell you about getting back to the Pop is to take the walk to either HS or Epcot and then catch the bus. If you can catch the bus to DTD and then transfer, that could work also.
That's So Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfmommy View Post
I'm hoping to go WDW in the fall to take advantage of free dining. But we'll probably be there for the NFL season opener, which my DH will NOT want to miss as we are die-hard Ravens fans.

If this trip happens we'll most likely be staying at Pop Century or POFQ.

Most obvious place to watch the game would be ESPN Club on the BW, but exactly HOW early would we need to be there to get a table? And, how to get there and back? We'll most likely have a car, but DS and I would certainly head back to the hotel well before the game ended, probably leaving car for DH.

If we're at POFQ, it'd be really easy to take the boat to/from DTD, but I don't know where would be a good choice to eat/watch. What about the resort lounge? I imagine the regular Thursday night entertainment would still be scheduled, but are there tvs in all the lounges or just some?

If we're at Pop, I don't think there's a lounge, so, not sure what close options are there.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
-Jenniifer
Since it's a Thursday night game, I would say maybe an hour before kickoff which is at 8:30. That would give you time to be seated, order, eat and then enjoy some of the game.

As for getting back to the resort, I would suggest you and your son take the car back. Let your husband take a cab to your resort. It's very easy from the Boardwalk and, I don't know this for sure, but if he's had a few, it would be good to let someone else do the driving. If he doesn't drink, the game will be over close to midnight so it would be good to have someone else drive at night. Just go out to the front bell stand and ask for a cab. They are stacked up nightly there.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #9
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

Thankfully I have nfl Sunday ticket. I bring my ipad to the park and watch the games on it. I usually get a crowd trying to look over my shoulder or ask for score updates. Lol
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Big E
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcabee View Post
Thankfully I have nfl Sunday ticket. I bring my ipad to the park and watch the games on it. I usually get a crowd trying to look over my shoulder or ask for score updates. Lol
Not to hijack, but how do you get the Sunday ticket on an IPad??? I'd be all over that!
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post

Not to hijack, but how do you get the Sunday ticket on an IPad??? I'd be all over that!
You have to buy the sunday ticket app for the ipad. It was $50 i think?

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post

You have to buy the sunday ticket app for the ipad. It was $50 i think?
When I got it the app was free but you had to have Sunday ticket to go or whatever they call the mobile part of the package now
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #13
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcabee View Post

When I got it the app was free but you had to have Sunday ticket to go or whatever they call the mobile part of the package now
Cool! I know we had to pay for it one year, but that was the year we got free sunday ticket so it was nbd. Idk exactly what the deal is with it anymore bc my hubs deals with it! I just enjoy the benefits hahaha!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez
With that said, if you were left cheering for the mess we call the Browns year in and year out you would understand... Come to think of it, a Raiders fan may understand how a Browns fan might feel.
Also a fan of the factory of sadness....I keep saying "Maybe next year...."

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
tinkerbellwdwmagic
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to say thank you jdfmommy for the post. I have been so busy planning my trip in Dec I had completely forgotten about football season . I watch/tape every game on tv I'm such a football freak. Usually my trips to Disney are only a few days so havent really had to worry about it but being in Disney for 12 days (two weekends and Mondays) there is no way I could survive without watching at least one game...lol. Your post reminded me I need to work in some football time (Go Seahawks) along with my Disney holiday magic.

Dec 2013 All Star Music
Sep 2008 All Star Movie
Aug 2003 All Star Sport
Sep 1996 Comfort Inn
tinkerbellwdwmagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: