Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
White Rose
Mouseketeer

Tell us your upgrade story from regular room to suite!

Everyone loves to read about unexpected fortune...now let's see who has ever been upgraded from a regular room to a suite?

What's the story? How excited were you? How did your family react?

Disclaimer: This post is not about getting what you paid for - we should all remember these are magical, unexpected, and amazing experiences of pixie dust. We should never walk into a resort expecting to get an upgrade, and should pay for what you expect to receive.

I have never been this blessed with this type of upgrade at WDW, but my hubby and I have both had experiences of the surprise and delight in other places!

The best surprise was when we checked in near midnight in Atlantic City for my birthday. We got an upgrade that was a 2 bedroom suite, with a happy birthday wish from the desk clerk. Our room was two rooms with a dash in-between, like 1102-1103. Inside that main door, was two more doors, one labeled 1102, the other 1103. (that's just an example, I forget the room numbers!) The first room had a dining room, kitchen, wetbar, living room, a huge bathroom, it had a hottub that could sleep 3 and two showers!! One stall one and one with a bathtub!

The other bedroom was a regular hotel room, but it was attached to our room. We had live plants in the room, a foyer, a power room - it was insane!

So.. what's your WDW resort suite upgrade story?
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Upgraded from a regular room to a family suite at Allstar Music last July. So that does happen. Possibly because they had a lot of South American youth groups staying there, and they needed the regular rooms to accommodate them.
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
bowbat
DIS Veteran

Our first trip to Disney as a family, we booked a Bay Lake-view room at the Contemporary (with a 40% off PIN code, I might add) and were celebrating my son's 5th birthday. I did online check-in, and was actually irritated about the line at check-in as there was no one in line for regular check-in. Then a CM asked my name and another CM said, "Oh, I was waiting for you!" She pulled us out of line and said we were being upgraded.

Mind you, at that time I wasn't really on the DIS except to find out about discounts, so I really had no idea what was going on.

She took us up to the 14th floor and showed us into our two-bedroom suite on CL. It was AMAZING. Huge, open living room and full dining room with a small kitchen flanked by a normal CR room on either end plus an entry foyer with another full bath off it. Oh, and four balconies overlooking Bay Lake. There was even a full-size Christmas tree in the room (our stay was end of Nov/beginning of Dec).

Honestly, I don't think we gave the CM quite the reaction she was used to or hoping for because we were sure it was a mistake. We patiently listened while she explained everything and showed us around the CL lounge, then the minute she left I dug through paperwork. We thought either she had the wrong people or we were being charged for it. But nope! It was for us, no mistake.

Of course, that experience got us hooked on CL and we've been paying for it ever since. Disney knows what they're doing, that's for sure. Occasionally my husband will even say, "Why don't we just get a suite like that one we had at the Contemporary?" Then I tell him the price.
Wilderness Lodge – 10/2011, 11/2012, 11/2013
Boardwalk Inn – 11/2011, 3/2014
Grand Floridian – 2/2012
Yacht Club – 6/2013
bowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
Alexsandra
Proud mom of two redheads

We got upgraded to river view at POFQ. We had requested building five with connecting rooms. They had put my parents in a separate building so they decided to upgrade us so we could have a connecting room. The view was spectacular. It was my favorite view as of yet!
Alexsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

Our 1st WDW vaca, myself and my 3 boys. I booked a GV room @ POR. This was 2 weeks ago when we got into the room, I thought it was a mistake. It was facing the pool and it was a Royal Room! I told my boys not to touch anything that there was a mistake. So when the bellman came up with our groceries from GG, I asked about the room he said "looks like this really is your room, you were probably upgraded. Enjoy!!!"
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
ginerjenny
Mouseketeer

we booked a standard room at wilderness lodge for our 10th wedding anniversary.. Our daughter was born on our actual anniversary and she was turning 8. Double celebration Our kids really wanted the bunk bed rooms they saw online but I wasn't paying extra for bunkbeds. They didn't say anything about us being upgraded when we checked in. When we got to our room not only did it have bunk beds but it was near the bear face overlooking the pool. Courtyard view! I couldn't of asked for a better room. If we ever get to stay there again I would want to be in the same section.

2011 WL
2012 CSR
2013 AKL
ginerjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
mskermit
Mouseketeer

wow so i am going in august, LM at AOA 4 adults and one 2 year old. it is a surprise trip for my daughters graduation. since we went last year, funding for this year was tight, so were decided on AOA. my daughter is also handicap. I am so worried we may be squished up in a LM room, there is hope to get an upgrade if I ask and maybe because we are celebrating her graduation?? ugh,, it would be an absolute gift from heaven with pixie dust scatter all over it!!! what are my chances ??
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Art of Animation 08-13 & 03-14
Pop Century 9-14

mskermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
mskermit
Mouseketeer

now that i think about it , last year i think i paid for a standard room at CBR, we had a water view in the Jamaica building that was beautiful,..hmm must have been an upgrade and i didn't even notice !!!!
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Pop Century 9-14

Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
NOLA_Tink
NOLA_Tink

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskermit View Post
wow so i am going in august, LM at AOA 4 adults and one 2 year old. it is a surprise trip for my daughters graduation. since we went last year, funding for this year was tight, so were decided on AOA. my daughter is also handicap. I am so worried we may be squished up in a LM room, there is hope to get an upgrade if I ask and maybe because we are celebrating her graduation?? ugh,, it would be an absolute gift from heaven with pixie dust scatter all over it!!! what are my chances ??
Your chances of getting upgraded aren't great, but sometimes we need to make our own pixie dust. Realistically, if you really want the suites (or more space) you should just pay for the upgrade. I've read several stories of people with LM rooms wanting an upgrade (because of elderly guests, limited mobility issues, kids in strollers, handicapped family members, etc.) at check-in only to be disappointed. Plus, I think the front desk hears it several times a day, so they've heard it all by now. (No one can stop you from hoping, but try to be realistic so you're not disappointed.)

As for your concerns about space with your handicapped daughter, there are specific handicap accessible rooms available at AoA. One of those would prob better suit your needs over a regular room.
WDW 1983 • Disneyland 1987 • WDW 1990 • Contemporary Resort 1997 • Dixie Landings (POR) 2000 • Magic Kingdom 2003 • Pop Century 2004 • Easter in WDW 2005 • AS Sports Feb 2006 • ASMusic Family Suite Nov 2006 • AS Sports 2007 • Animal Kingdom Lodge June 2008 • F & W Festival Oct 2008 • Discovery Cove/ ASMoviesDec 2008 • POP March 2009 • Very Merry Un-Unbirthday in Disney July 2009 • Pop Century Dec 2009• Caribbean Beach Resort May 2010 • Polynesian Nov 2010 • Disneyland March 2011 • POP Oct 2011 • The Dolphin May 2012 • Disneyland June 2012 • CBR Oct 2012 • Art of Animation June 2013 • Ft. Wilderness Cabins March 2015
NOLA_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
D&R love Disney
DIS Veteran

Over the years we've had a few nice upgrades. First was checking in at WL for a courtyard view and we were upgraded to concierge. That spoiled us and had us booking CL on other trips. Next was a water view at BC and ended up with a one bedroom suite. Last we booked WL and got asked at check in if we wanted to move to GF. We took it and had a lovely water view there.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_Tink View Post
Your chances of getting upgraded aren't great, but sometimes we need to make our own pixie dust. Realistically, if you really want the suites (or more space) you should just pay for the upgrade. I've read several stories of people with LM rooms wanting an upgrade (because of elderly guests, limited mobility issues, kids in strollers, handicapped family members, etc.) at check-in only to be disappointed. Plus, I think the front desk hears it several times a day, so they've heard it all by now. (No one can stop you from hoping, but try to be realistic so you're not disappointed.)

As for your concerns about space with your handicapped daughter, there are specific handicap accessible rooms available at AoA. One of those would prob better suit your needs over a regular room.
I

If this were our "regular" Disney vacation I would have just booked a bigger room. we were just there last august and this trip was a surprise for my daughters graduation so vacation funds were a little tight She graduated yesterday so she now knows about her trip, she was so excited she cried!! I explained to my 2 daughters , 21 & 17, we are gonna be a little cramped. if they don't want to be cramped then they can each pitch in 400.00 bucks to uncramp us!! lol they are fine with being cramped and mom paying for it all!! its all good,,, WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY!!!!
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Pop Century 9-14

Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
Letterhead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginerjenny View Post
we booked a standard room at wilderness lodge for our 10th wedding anniversary.. Our daughter was born on our actual anniversary and she was turning 8. Double celebration Our kids really wanted the bunk bed rooms they saw online but I wasn't paying extra for bunkbeds. They didn't say anything about us being upgraded when we checked in. When we got to our room not only did it have bunk beds but it was near the bear face overlooking the pool. Courtyard view! I couldn't of asked for a better room. If we ever get to stay there again I would want to be in the same section.
A pity we didnt get that! We're currently at WL for our honeymoon. They didnt (and still havent) even acknowledge that we were on honeymoon, then probably gave us the worst room on site. It overlooks a power generator,'and each morning at about 4am Im awoken my reversing trucks outside.
Letterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post

A pity we didnt get that! We're currently at WL for our honeymoon. They didnt (and still havent) even acknowledge that we were on honeymoon, then probably gave us the worst room on site. It overlooks a power generator,'and each morning at about 4am Im awoken my reversing trucks outside.
I would go down to the desk explain your on your honeymoon & your being woken up at 4am by these trucks see if they can move you! Seriously!! Sending happy thoughts that pixie dust hits your honeymoon!

Sept 2013 Poly, 2012 Disney Fantasy, BC CL, GF CL, POR, 2011 Poly CL, CR, Poly CL, AKL, 2010 Poly CL, ASMu 2009, SSR 2008, Pop 2006, POR , Asmo 2005, Asmo 2003, offsite 2000, 1999,1989, Poly 1980, offsite 1979
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
Nikki21
Mouseketeer

3 years ago, my BF and I stayed at Coronado Springs. It was his first ever trip to WDW and it was his 30th birthday!!! We had booked a standard KING room. We checked in and were placed in the casitas section. The CM never saying anything else about our room. So, We grabbed all of our stuff, walked on over and when we walked in, we discovered that we had a suite!

It was 2 rooms. One room had a giant living area with couch, chairs, coffee table, a large TV, a large round table (dining) with 4 chairs, and a bathroom with seperate toilet, shower/tub. The second room (seperated by giant sliding doors) was the master bedroom. This was similar to the standard room i had stayed in before - king bed, couch, table chairs and a large bathroom.

It was very unexpexted and a great surprise. Especially since this was darling BF's first ever trip to the world. Except now he thinks all "standard" rooms are this gigantic

l 11/2014 Pop Century l 09/2013 Pop Century l 09/2010 Coronado Springs l
l 05/2007 Caribbean Beach l 12/2005 Coronado Springs l 05/2004 Coronado Springs l 12/1989 Offsite l
Nikki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki21 View Post
3 years ago, my BF and I stayed at Coronado Springs. It was his first ever trip to WDW and it was his 30th birthday!!! We had booked a standard KING room. We checked in and were placed in the casitas section. The CM never saying anything else about our room. So, We grabbed all of our stuff, walked on over and when we walked in, we discovered that we had a suite!

It was 2 rooms. One room had a giant living area with couch, chairs, coffee table, a large TV, a large round table (dining) with 4 chairs, and a bathroom with seperate toilet, shower/tub. The second room (seperated by giant sliding doors) was the master bedroom. This was similar to the standard room i had stayed in before - king bed, couch, table chairs and a large bathroom.

It was very unexpexted and a great surprise. Especially since this was darling BF's first ever trip to the world. Except now he thinks all "standard" rooms are this gigantic

did they know it was his birthday and first trip?? I'm just wondering how they pick and chose to upgrade. I always wonder as I go on the endless conversations with the reservation people on the phone are they noting my reservation??? uggghhh .. I need some pixie dust this trip !!!
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Pop Century 9-14

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: