Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
andysomma1
Mouseketeer
 
andysomma1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 146

Paying cash on arrival for resort

In March I reserved this past weekend at Beach Club. I put down the deposit of one night on my debit card. I was traveling with my sister and she was going to pay the other night when we got there using cash.

The morning of our arrival my debit card was charged for the second night before we arrived to check in at the resort. When we got to the front desk to pick up our room keys I asked the manager why my debit card was charged for the second night before we arrived and he said it was to expedite the check in process.

So a heads up to those of you wanting to pay off the rest of your stay with cash or gift cards when you arrive. They may go ahead and clear your charges with the card number they already have.
__________________
andysomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysomma1 View Post
In March I reserved this past weekend at Beach Club. I put down the deposit of one night on my debit card. I was traveling with my sister and she was going to pay the other night when we got there using cash.

The morning of our arrival my debit card was charged for the second night before we arrived to check in at the resort. When we got to the front desk to pick up our room keys I asked the manager why my debit card was charged for the second night before we arrived and he said it was to expedite the check in process.

So a heads up to those of you wanting to pay off the rest of your stay with cash or gift cards when you arrive. They may go ahead and clear your charges with the card number they already have.
That's dangerous with a debit card, they could have overdrawn your account.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
saskdw
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
That's dangerous with a debit card, they could have overdrawn your account.
I agree. You pay with credit card because of the assurances the CC company provides. I'm sure it would be an extremely rare thing for someone to want to pay cash for their room.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 12,359

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
I agree. You pay with credit card because of the assurances the CC company provides. I'm sure it would be an extremely rare thing for someone to want to pay cash for their room.
I don't think it is extremely rare for someone to want to pay cash (or use another form of payment other than credit card) at a Disney resort. We do it all the time. Others prefer to use gift cards or debit cards.

Room only reservations are payable at the time of check in. NOT before you check in. If this had happened to me, I'd be tearing the manager a new one.

When we checked into our resort in April, we had no problems paying the balance with cash. And then leaving our credit card number on file for room charges.

I wonder if the OP did online check in. The CMs response of doing this "to expedite the check in process" makes me think so. Another reason to add to my list of why I don't do online check in.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I wonder if the OP did online check in. The CMs response of doing this "to expedite the check in process" makes me think so.
This was my first thought as well. We've never done online check in, but I have read reports that you must put in a cc otherwise it won't let you advance to the next screen. It seems it would make sense to charge the cc on file prior to arrival so the guest can pick up their folder and go without having to pay a balance. But since we've never done online check in and I've always paid a room only reservation ahead of time, I'm not sure if this is how it works or not .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
saskdw
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I don't think it is extremely rare for someone to want to pay cash (or use another form of payment other than credit card) at a Disney resort. We do it all the time. Others prefer to use gift cards or debit cards.
Not really relevant to this thread, but I still disagree. Just because you do something doesn't mean that alot of people do it. I think it is rare in this day and age for someone to be paying at a resort of anykind with cash. You have a habit of wording your opinion like it his fact on this Forum. Reality is neither one of us has factual statistics to back up our opinions, so they will remain opinions.
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
danceintherain
DIS Veteran
 
danceintherain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,102

There isn't a requirement that you have to submit payment info in order to do online check in. The potential is for the convenience of the "guest."

I bypassed the option during our last trip, and handed over my debit card when I got up to the desk for final payment and room charge. I don't think the charge posted until a few days into the trip.

I actually don't remember a final payment portion during the online check-in process, only a portion where you can add a card for room charge. The page was glitchy before my trip, so I opted to skip it.

Honestly, I doubt we'll do online check-in again, because there's no real benefit for us, and under normal circumstances, I'd probably be holding up the line.

OP - It's definitely odd that they would charge you before arrival, but I wonder if it's in the fine print of the Online Check-In terms and conditions somewhere.
__________________
~*Becca*~
Well Begun is Half Done...When Plans Go Awry: April 2013 Trip Report
Me (27) DH (27) DS (3) DD (born Feb 2014)
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom
 
Eeyore's My Favorite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,981

If I'm paying cash at the resort for my balance due I don't do online check in because I don't want it going on the card I used for my deposit. I plan on hopefully using Disney gift cards to pay balance for our planned trip in October.
__________________
Me : & DH :


Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
nkereina
Wendy Darling
 
nkereina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Niagara Falls, NY
Posts: 8,236

I am willing to bet that the front desk could have reversed the charges and then allowed OP to pay cash. It would have been inconvenient waiting for the funds to be returned to the card, yes. But its not uncommon for guests to pay in cash, so they must have a way to allow for this when they charge cards ahead of time. Same with gift cards.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
andysomma1
Mouseketeer
 
andysomma1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I don't think it is extremely rare for someone to want to pay cash (or use another form of payment other than credit card) at a Disney resort. We do it all the time. Others prefer to use gift cards or debit cards.

Room only reservations are payable at the time of check in. NOT before you check in. If this had happened to me, I'd be tearing the manager a new one.

When we checked into our resort in April, we had no problems paying the balance with cash. And then leaving our credit card number on file for room charges.

I wonder if the OP did online check in. The CMs response of doing this "to expedite the check in process" makes me think so. Another reason to add to my list of why I don't do online check in.
Alas, I did do online check-in. It did not state anywhere during the process though that my card would be charged before arriving at the resort. I had to enter a credit/debit card or I could not move forward with the process. I had done this many, many times in the past and never gotten charged before I arrived at the resort though. Of course this was my first time staying at the Beach Club, so this may be one of their policies. Next time I'll know.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
I am willing to bet that the front desk could have reversed the charges and then allowed OP to pay cash. It would have been inconvenient waiting for the funds to be returned to the card, yes. But its not uncommon for guests to pay in cash, so they must have a way to allow for this when they charge cards ahead of time. Same with gift cards.
You are right, the manager did offer to reverse the charges and have us pay in cash. He would have reversed it right there but I had no idea how long it would take my bank to reverse it so I left the charge on and my sister gave me the cash.
__________________
andysomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 48,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysomma1 View Post
Alas, I did do online check-in. It did not state anywhere during the process though that my card would be charged before arriving at the resort. I had to enter a credit/debit card or I could not move forward with the process. I had done this many, many times in the past and never gotten charged before I arrived at the resort though. Of course this was my first time staying at the Beach Club, so this may be one of their policies. Next time I'll know.
That explains it. Online check-in is not supposed to involve any interaction at check-in. They process your check-in before you arrive.
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2
 
MinnieGirl33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,702

This happened to us in 2010 at CR - was due to on line check in.

In our case:
  • Caused major problems with my bank account
  • Manager was HORRIBLE - refused to reverse the charges so we could change the payment tender despite me standing there waving a wad of cash in her face
  • Ended up having to drive 40 minutes in each direction to find a branch of our bank so I could deposit the cash in order to prevent a very important bill payment from being returned (ATM deposit would have taken days)
  • I swore there was nothing in the terms & conditions but when I went back to read the super fine print there actually was (much to my dismay) so...

Lesson learned the hard way to not do on line check in if I wanted to pay cash on arrival.
__________________
Me DH DS20 DS17 Minnie Mia



Last edited by MinnieGirl33; 06-11-2013 at 08:11 AM.
MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Too far from Disney
Posts: 15,699

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw

Not really relevant to this thread, but I still disagree. Just because you do something doesn't mean that alot of people do it. I think it is rare in this day and age for someone to be paying at a resort of anykind with cash. You have a habit of wording your opinion like it his fact on this Forum. Reality is neither one of us has factual statistics to back up our opinions, so they will remain opinions.
I think that a lot of people do pay.with gift cards for Disney. I get gc's for fuel rewards and as a savings tool for our WDW trips. I also receive them as gifts since all my friends and family know its a safe bet lol.

I would never use cash but gc's I think are pretty common for Disney which is why I don't do online check in for room only if I want to use gift cards to pay that balance.

No idea how common but I sure do see a lot of disboarders making mention of using gc's to pay for rooms and pkgs on threads.
__________________
Have stayed at: Poly, OKW, CBR, CSR, POR, POFQ, Pop, ASMO, ASSP, ASMU, BWV, SSR, DLH, GCH & PP. And seven wonderful nights on the Magic!
Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
saskdw
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy&Dan View Post
I think that a lot of people do pay.with gift cards for Disney. I get gc's for fuel rewards and as a savings tool for our WDW trips. I also receive them as gifts since all my friends and family know its a safe bet lol.

I would never use cash but gc's I think are pretty common for Disney which is why I don't do online check in for room only if I want to use gift cards to pay that balance.

No idea how common but I sure do see a lot of disboarders making mention of using gc's to pay for rooms and pkgs on threads.
You are probably right about the gift cards. I just don't think too many people are pulling a wad of bills out of their pocket when they check-in...lol
saskdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)
 
minnie mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WAY too far north
Posts: 12,359

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw View Post
You are probably right about the gift cards. I just don't think too many people are pulling a wad of bills out of their pocket when they check-in...lol
Which was why I said in my post: cash or another form of payment other than credit card. If you re read my post you will see that I specifically mentioned debit cards and gift cards as well. If you also do a search for similar threads on this forum, you will see, as Amy&Dan have stated, that many Disboarders have frequently stated a preference for not using credit cards for payment of either their resort or their KTTW charges. I rarely state opinion as fact, if I can help it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.