Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
ferrero121
Mouseketeer

Bed bugs

I'm going to disney for the first time in September. Has anyone ever had issues with bed bugs? We are staying at pop and I've read online a Lot of stories of people seeing them
ferrero121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Here is the thing. Any hotel can have bed bugs in any room on any given day. A responsible entity like Disney will take care of the problem when they become aware of it. So what any traveler needs to do is be aware when they check into a room and look for any signs of problems before settling in.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrero121
I'm going to disney for the first time in September. Has anyone ever had issues with bed bugs? We are staying at pop and I've read online a Lot of stories of people seeing them
Then do not go.

Most people that posted either brought them with them or wanted something to complain about.

You do know there are crocodiles in Disney, right? There is something to worry about.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
wyurm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Then do not go.

Most people that posted either brought them with them or wanted something to complain about.
I disagree with this. People complain about bedbugs because they are a nuisance. This doesn't somehow mean they brought them or they are just whiners.

That said, bedbugs can travel into your luggage on the airplane or ME as well as being present in a room you are checking into. You can't avoid them by looking for complaints about a hotel having them. The best advice is to always do a thorough check when first entering your room. Also keep your luggage on a stand, not the bed.

When I look at reviews I focus on how the hotel deals with finding out they have an infestation and Disney's policy regarding bedbugs is quite possibly one of the best in the country. Most hotels and other venues will see them at some point in time, it's how they deal with it that really matters.

If you want to really freak out, bedbugs could even be present in some of the attractions and rides.
wyurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Then do not go.

You do know there are crocodiles in Disney, right? There is something to worry about.
Comments from Disney apologists are always so helpful, aren't they?
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Magssno
Earning My Ears

The best thing you can do is you are that worried is check the room thoroughly yourself when you arrive. You can even buy travel mattress covers to put on the beds.

No hotel or resort can 100% guarantee rooms are bed bug free. There could be eggs which have not hatched and which have gone unnoticed and untreated if there have been previous problems.

If you are that worried you'd probably best save your money and stay at home.

treatmentofbedbugs.net
Magssno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
MrsUqdah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Then do not go. Most people that posted either brought them with them or wanted something to complain about. You do know there are crocodiles in Disney, right? There is something to worry about.
LOL @crocodiles
MrsUqdah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsUqdah View Post
LOL @crocodiles
Really!!
Resurrecting after all these months
Old 11-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsUqdah View Post
LOL @crocodiles
You never know. One might have hitchhiked from south Florida.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
ferrero121
Mouseketeer

I'm going to go!! No need for the smart comment!! I'm Just curious to see if anyone on here had issues!!!
ferrero121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
tsme
DIS Veteran

I've never experienced bed bugs at Disney. They can pop up anywhere. But from what I have read, when Disney is informed of bed bugs, they take action right away. I've read that once it's be confirmed, they take your belongings & have them cleaned, sometimes giving you a certificate for an outfit per person to wear for the day, move you to another room, & they completely clean & get rid of the bugs from the room. So I wouldn't worry about it. When you get there take the normal steps you would at any hotel. Check all around for signs of bed bugs before unpacking. It'll be fine. Have a magical trip!
tsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
LowesChevy
The happy haunts have received your sympathetic vibrations and are beginning to materialize

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsme View Post
I've never experienced bed bugs at Disney. They can pop up anywhere. But from what I have read, when Disney is informed of bed bugs, they take action right away. I've read that once it's be confirmed, they take your belongings & have them cleaned, sometimes giving you a certificate for an outfit per person to wear for the day, move you to another room, & they completely clean & get rid of the bugs from the room. So I wouldn't worry about it. When you get there take the normal steps you would at any hotel. Check all around for signs of bed bugs before unpacking. It'll be fine. Have a magical trip!
This is true
LowesChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Another thing to remember is that the online reports of bedbugs are not always 100% true. There is no one that goes and checks to be sure that the writer has actually experienced bedbugs. They have no way to be sure the report is true or just an upset guest who is making stuff up (yes, that happens). So remember to take these reports with a grain of salt before freaking out too badly.

Now, I am not saying that these hotels have never had an issue. Bedbugs are a HUGE issue, not just in the hotel industry. So it is important to take steps to protect yourself. The number one way to do so is to check the room before you occupy it and, if you suspect bedbugs, contact management immediately so they can take care of it.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrero121 View Post
I've stayed at Pop several times and have never had an issue. DBF and I are travelers and live in NYC so we always go through our bedbug check list as soon as we walk in the door.

You want to check the seams of the mattress, in the side tables, and then check all the drawers and doors of the cabinets.

Even with a thorough check there is no guarantee your room won't have them.

Also unless you see the bug it is almost impossible to know if the bites you get are bedbug bites. Mosquito bites and bedbug bites look exactly the same except bed bug bites typically have a pattern of 3 in a row. Guess what though, I visited family in Tx and even with a thorough inspect I woke up with the signs of bedbugs. I check everything again and even took further action to protect myself. Well that night we found about 15 Mosquitos in the room I was staying in. Multiple Mosquitos can cause the line of multiple bites and in my case that is exactly what happened

Also as a note most people who get bitten by bed bugs don't even know. You have to have an allergic reaction from the bite for it to itch etc.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: