Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
dnice416
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 12

pulling kids out of school to cruise...

Just wondering what the consensus is in regards to removing a child from school for a cruise. As a working mother I feel as if this time is a necessity to keep my family intact since I cannot take vacations during "prime time" season. Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?
dnice416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Kendal
DIS Veteran
 
Kendal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Illinois not Chicago!
Posts: 510

Let my reply to this and tell you what we do... We her pue out boy out of school for a week on 4 seperate vacations two cruises and a week in Tennessee... Withy that being said h was in 1st grade... 2grade and 3 grade..... With a cruise booked in march o 2014..... His homework was done prior to him goin on vacation thank god the teachers worked well with us.... He has been very good keeping his grades up.... I told my wife this past year in Tennessee that maybe his 4grade year will be it with family vacations during school but it will still be open we have to see how he is learning and doin well I school... If it starts to be har for him te we will for sure not be able to do it any longer.... I think as long as u can swing it I say go for it everybody needs a break sometime.... Hope this helps a little

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Disneyfirstimers2013
Mouseketeer
 
Disneyfirstimers2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 96

I think it depends on the age of the kids. I pulled my kids this year (grades 2 & 4) but would not do it once the older one hits middl school due to the workload in school. Even this time they had quite a bit of work to do when we got back (I got it from the teacher before we left).
Disneyfirstimers2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Davistigers
Earning My Ears
 
Davistigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 48

The schools in our school district mark anything over a 3-day absence as "Truant" and reports it to the school district main office. I got nasty letters sent to me for both kids reporting that they had a truancy on their record now. This is all AFTER I had already spoken with both kids' teachers at 2 different schools and they had said OK and even given us homework to do on the vacation. Our district is super strict about attendance due to the state funding issues.

However, when I was little my parents pulled my brother and I out of school for at least a week every October so we could go on a family vacation. My dad worked in a summer-heavy business and this was the only time we could all go. Those were some of my best memories of travel, discovery and family time.
__________________


Davistigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
twinstars
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 268

We do not pull our kids out of school for vacations because we feel that would send our kids the wrong message that vacation is more important than school.
twinstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
jahber
DIS Veteran
 
jahber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,379

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinstars View Post
We do not pull our kids out of school for vacations because we feel that would send our kids the wrong message that vacation is more important than school.
Personally, I think sometimes it can be. And like a PP said, taking a week off of school is hardly sending a message that school doesn't matter. Instead, it can send the message that sometimes family matters more than school, especially when it's the only time a family can afford (either in time or money) a trip.

To the OP, only you (and your state laws, apparently) can decide what's best for your child. Personally, I say go for it!
__________________
Wonder 5-night Western 10/14
Dream 4-night Bahamas 11/13
Wonder 7-night Alaska 9/13
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
jjgarv
Gotta get away to where the boat leaves from...
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,670

You'll find very strong opinions on both sides of this topic, but no one should make this decision for you. This is a personal decision. You need to make the decision that is best for you and your family.
__________________
Honeymoon 4/00 4 Day Magic and Wilderness Lodge; 3/02 7 Day Eastern Magic; 11/02 Beach Club Villas; 11/04 7 day Western Magic; 10/05 4 Day Wonder and 3 Day at Saratoga Springs; 9/06 7 Day Twice the Magic--2x Castaway Cay; 11/07 7 Day Eastern Magic; 9/08 7 Western Double Dip--2x Castaway Cay; 5/09 Villas at AKL; 10/09 7 Day Eastern Magic to St Croix; 4/10 7 Day Caribbean Princess for 10th Anniversary; 10/10 7 Day Western Magic; 10/11 7 Days B2B on the Dream; 10/12 7 Day Eastern Fantasy; 3/12 DVC Villas at Aulani; 10/13 7 Day Western Fantasy; 10/14 7 Day Western Fantasy to Jamaica
jjgarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
twinstars
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
Personally, I think sometimes it can be. And like a PP said, taking a week off of school is hardly sending a message that school doesn't matter. Instead, it can send the message that sometimes family matters more than school, especially when it's the only time a family can afford (either in time or money) a trip.

To the OP, only you (and your state laws, apparently) can decide what's best for your child. Personally, I say go for it!
I find it interesting that people are justifying it by saying it is opportunity to spend family time....do you not spend family time on a regular basis? I think if the argument is to spend quality time with your kids, then it isn't necessary to take them out of school to do so.
twinstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
cmwade77
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davistigers View Post
The schools in our school district mark anything over a 3-day absence as "Truant" and reports it to the school district main office. I got nasty letters sent to me for both kids reporting that they had a truancy on their record now. This is all AFTER I had already spoken with both kids' teachers at 2 different schools and they had said OK and even given us homework to do on the vacation. Our district is super strict about attendance due to the state funding issues.

However, when I was little my parents pulled my brother and I out of school for at least a week every October so we could go on a family vacation. My dad worked in a summer-heavy business and this was the only time we could all go. Those were some of my best memories of travel, discovery and family time.
If the school tried that, I would pull my kids out of school and do home schooling and then they wouldnt get ANY money for my kids.

In all reality, I would have no problems pulling kids out of school for family reasons. I would of course work with the teachers to get homework, etc. but I would not let them tell me I couldn't. Yes, I know I have issues with authority, but I think we have forgotten about what really matters.....FAMILY. It is one of the most important things we will ever have and is one of the few things that can last beyond this life. When we keep that in mind, we will realize that I. The long run taking a kid out of school for a week or two out of the year is nothing by comparison to not being able to build and maintain those family bonds.

So, if it seems I am insistent about this, well I am.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
shandrananette
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
If the school tried that, I would pull my kids out of school and do home schooling and then they wouldnt get ANY money for my kids.

In all reality, I would have no problems pulling kids out of school for family reasons. I would of course work with the teachers to get homework, etc. but I would not let them tell me I couldn't. Yes, I know I have issues with authority, but I think we have forgotten about what really matters.....FAMILY. It is one of the most important things we will ever have and is one of the few things that can last beyond this life. When we keep that in mind, we will realize that I. The long run taking a kid out of school for a week or two out of the year is nothing by comparison to not being able to build and maintain those family bonds.

So, if it seems I am insistent about this, well I am.
This, exactly. We're looking at a school that will apparently pull your slot if you miss a certain number of days and it has me completely turned off, even though it's supposed to be a great school. They're my kids, I will decide whether their absences are justified. It horrifies me that there are districts that will send you a truancy notice after 3 days.

My parents always pulled me and my brother out of school for a week in January to go to Disneyland - every year until I was a senior in high school (and I was also IB, pp - it worked out). I don't ever remember missing anything of importance, but I sure do remember those trips. I have every intention of doing the same for my kids.
__________________


shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfirstimers2013 View Post
I think it depends on the age of the kids. I pulled my kids this year (grades 2 & 4) but would not do it once the older one hits middl school due to the workload in school. Even this time they had quite a bit of work to do when we got back (I got it from the teacher before we left).
agree with this...we did it with my daughter in pre-school and kindergarten but once she entered first grade that was the end of pulling her out of school...granted there are other reasons as well (dance classes/dance recitals, CCD/religous classes, etc)
__________________
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran
 
twopeasonepod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 1,202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin View Post

agree with this...we did it with my daughter in pre-school and kindergarten but once she entered first grade that was the end of pulling her out of school...granted there are other reasons as well (dance classes/dance recitals, CCD/religous classes, etc)
Sorry, my post was not targeted at you. I was typing on my phone forever haha.

P.S. OT: why don't my posts have that "from my iPhone using disboards app" thingy?
__________________
Having twins warrants many vacations!


twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mt Kisco, NY
Posts: 1,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod View Post
Sorry, my post was not targeted at you. I was typing on my phone forever haha.

P.S. OT: why don't my posts have that "from my iPhone using disboards app" thingy?
no swet....

after we pulled her out of kindergarten for five days for the DCL we got a warning letter from the school district that she had missed 10 days of school....i was somewhere between laughing and pretty angry considering my daughter is a good student...
__________________

Last edited by Zeppelin; 06-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.
 
jjje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 692

I have several family members who are teachers so I have long been aware of the extra work that pulling a kid out of school can make for a teacher. Because of that we always do our best to let teachers know well in advance when we plan on having the kids miss school. We always ask if there is any work they can give us in advance that they already have prepared and ready to go and when we get home to give any additional work that the class did while we are gone. We try not to make any extra work for the teachers. So far it has always worked.

One year my son missed a week of school because he was laying in a hospital bed unable to breath. After that I kind of lost any reservations I had about pulling my kids out of school for the fun stuff. For me personally, if there was some tragedy in our family I'm pretty sure I would look back and think "Thank goodness we had all that great family time!" and not "Thank goodness my kid never missed a test!"
__________________

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Chee Chick
DIS Veteran
 
Chee Chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnice416 View Post
Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?
There are lots of ways to bond with your children that doesn't involve pulling them out of school for a Disney cruise.
__________________
DH, Me, DS(9), DD(4)
Summer 1981, July 1988, Dec 1993, Oct 1994, Aug 1996 - WDW offsite
Sept 2008 - BC; April 2009 - WL; Nov 2012 - DCL Magic; June 2014 - POR/DCL Fantasy




Chee Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.