Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
jskacoc
Earning My Ears

Large family booking help needed

Hello! My MIL wants to take my two kids and nieces on the 9/22/13 Dream sailing. It is MIL, DN16, DN11, DD10 and DD3. I was trying to find the cheapest way to book this. With the amount of people a 4D comes up. I am very uneasy about my DD3 being in a balcony cabin. I have read that it's hard to open and the lock is up high but my MIL can be scattered brained at times. My DD3 is a climber, gets into everything/anything. She would no doubt push a chair to the railing and climb up. My MIL is a smoker so I could see how a balcony would work out so the kids weren't left in the room while she was smoking before they woke up, etc.
I was trying to find a connecting OV cabin and balcony cabin. Is this possible? So my DD3 could sleep in the OV and not have access to the balcony room when everyone is sleeping if she gets up and wanders.
What is the best way to book with so many people to get the best price? My BIL and SIL are also getting a cabin so if need be we could put one of their names on the 2nd cabin and switch everyone around after boarding, right? When I play with it that way I am only getting 7aGty and that won't work because I can't split the kids and MIL.
So if you made it this far, lol, I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!!

Btw, DH and I already booked this as a parents only cruise for our anniversary so now we have to somehow be able to avoid our family to get the cruise we originally planned on. Wish us luck!
May 2010 Disney Wonder & POR
Oct 2008 off-site
Oct 2007 off-site
jskacoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Callymum
DIS Veteran

The Balcony doors are really hard to open, in fact most adults have bother opening them. The lock is really high up and if its at bedtime then I know that the Murphy bed goes straight across the balcony door. So who ever tries to get out of the balcony would have to climb over the person sleeping in the Murphy bed. I'm sure your DD3 would be fine in a balcony room.

This Dream floor plans shows you all the rooms available.
http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruis...eckId=Deck%207

Last edited by Callymum; 06-02-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

They can request to have the furniture removed from the balcony, people have done this in the past. You mentioned the parents only cruise you were doing, we did this a few years ago for our 20th anniversary and it was the most enjoyable cruise we have had on DCL in 13 cruises. We love our two daughters but as teens, not having to worry about them when they weren't within on our sight on the ship was truly relaxing.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

I see the problem you're having, the cat 8 OV stateroom would be best but they are sold out for that particular date. They will sleep up to 5 people. Is at that date set in stone? You might have better luck calling DCL reservations than trying it online. Their system has all the connecting stateroom info.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

How about 2 connecting inside rooms. You get a lot of room and can leave the door open in between. That's how we do it instead if a family suite.
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskacoc View Post
Hello! My MIL wants to take my two kids and nieces on the 9/22/13 Dream sailing. It is MIL, DN16, DN11, DD10 and DD3. I was trying to find the cheapest way to book this. With the amount of people a 4D comes up. I am very uneasy about my DD3 being in a balcony cabin. I have read that it's hard to open and the lock is up high but my MIL can be scattered brained at times. My DD3 is a climber, gets into everything/anything. She would no doubt push a chair to the railing and climb up. My MIL is a smoker so I could see how a balcony would work out so the kids weren't left in the room while she was smoking before they woke up, etc.
I was trying to find a connecting OV cabin and balcony cabin. Is this possible? So my DD3 could sleep in the OV and not have access to the balcony room when everyone is sleeping if she gets up and wanders.
What is the best way to book with so many people to get the best price? My BIL and SIL are also getting a cabin so if need be we could put one of their names on the 2nd cabin and switch everyone around after boarding, right? When I play with it that way I am only getting 7aGty and that won't work because I can't split the kids and MIL.
So if you made it this far, lol, I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!!

Btw, DH and I already booked this as a parents only cruise for our anniversary so now we have to somehow be able to avoid our family to get the cruise we originally planned on. Wish us luck!
At this late date, you aren't going to find specific connecting rooms. There are no OV rooms that connect to verandah rooms. If you book two GTY rooms there is no guarantee that they will be located next to each other or even on the same deck.

If I didn't think MIL would be attentive, DD3 wouldn't be going on the cruise with her with sole responsibility. You could put DD3 in the room with your BIL & SIL on the reservation and have her actually sleep in the room with MIL and the other girls, but there wouldn't be a separate bed for her. If you think that MIL would actually leave her in the room unattended to go up to the few places on deck where smoking is allowed without a verandah I would also rethink letting her go.

Sorry, but I don't see how you are going to avoid the kids the entire cruise without staying in your room. They will see you if you are at the adult pool when walking through just for one example. You would also need a different rotation at dinner to avoid that chance.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
jskacoc
Earning My Ears

Thank you everyone for your help! Sorry, I don't know how to do multiple quotes to your replies so this will just look random lol:

The date is the best bet since MIL was off work to take care of our kids anyway.

Thank you for the reassurance on the balcony doors!

MIL has been on two cruises with OV cabin so I'm not sure how she will feel about going inside. The funny thing is that the balcony is cheaper than the inside.

We are celebrating our 15th anniversary! We are even going to WDW for a couple of days alone. We have never been without kids so it will be nice to not have to worry about who can't ride what, strollers, naps, etc.

I'm hoping with the wave phones we can make it a little easier to avoid the kids. It's mostly DD3 because she is way too attached to me.

Thanks again!
May 2010 Disney Wonder & POR
Oct 2008 off-site
Oct 2007 off-site
jskacoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #8
Gilland18
Mouseketeer

Two cabins wouldn't be an option because no one is old enough to book the second cabin. You can rearrange sleeping arrangements once on board. Everyone just has to do muster drill at the station they are booked for.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

If it's just MIL and the 4 kids, a second stateroom won't be an option because there has to be a second adult booked. So if an OV for 5 isn't available it will have to be the verandah. All reports I've read are how high the lock is and how heavy the door is...so a 3-yr-old isn't likely to get out there. Also, there is plexiglass on the inside of the railing, so no footholds for climbing. MIL can ask to have the furniture removed it that's a problem.

I guess I'd just question why she feels the need to bring them all on this particular cruise knowing that you and DH were planning a "couples only" cruise. Sounds like she's not sure she wants to be responsible for all the kids the whole time and figures you'll be around as well. Maybe I'm off-base with that, but I wouldn't be happy if someone did that to me. It's not like a parks vacation where you can be at a different resort and different parks each day - you're sure to run into each other on the cruise.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The best option is going to be booking DD3 with your BIL & SIL. She will need to go to the muster drill with them whether she sleeps with them or in your MIL's stateroom.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

I would save money and book connecting inside rooms. After our first cruise with a veranda, we stopped booking verandas because we were seldom in the room. I have also figured that for the cost of 2 cruises with verandas we can cruise 3 times inside room. If money was no object we would book the Roy Disney Suite and cruise 2 or 3 times a year. Because money is hard to come by we book inside and cruise once a year.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: