Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Foz
DIS Veteran
 
Foz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 579

Did you have a "WHAT ?" experience on your Disney Cruise ...

Returning to the DIS boards after having just booked a return trip to the Fantasy makes me realize how much fun it is to plan a Disney experience. Thinking back on our B2B cruises in Sept/Oct last year, three "anecdotes" kind of stood out for us ...
  • My wife who requires a cane was walking back to our stateroom I was a few feet behind. A family was walking towards us the two young kids in front stopped and stood to the side to let my wife pass apparently the mother said to her kids as she was coming up behind them, "You don't have to wait, you're just as important as she is" ...
  • We were in line to enter the Walt Disney Theatre for the Muster Drill when a couple exited the "staff area" near the front of the line and stood up front. My DW commented that there was a line ... the wife started having a conniption stating that staff had told them to go through the staff stairs and she didn't know there was a line and so on ... she started to head towards the back of the line when THE husband spoke up and said "Come back here, you don't have to listen to her" and they proceeded to interject themselves in front of the others who had been waiting and entered the Theatre.
Sometimes it's not the youth of our society that we have to be worried about ...

But in amongst all the funny moments we did have was this one in particular ...
  • We were waiting for our transportation that we hired for our trip back to Orlando when we struck up a conversation with a family. When my DW mentioned we had just finished a B2B, had spent a week at WDW prior and we were just on our way to a week at Universal, the mother commented on how expensive it was for us. My wife said No, that we had planned carefully and it did not cost as much as she thought we had spent. It was at then that a driver came up and after confirming who we were pointed us to our "ride" a super-stretch Limo!! I was speechless for a second ...I must have had a dumbfounded look on my face as I had rented a large SUV, the same one that took us to PC did I totally mess up? It was then the driver explained that the SUV was in for repairs so they sent the limo instead.

So it would be nice to hear if anyone else had a "WHAT" moment on their cruise, funny or not ...
__________________
Foz & Sami-Jo
followed by then
Foz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
AdaraRae
Mouseketeer
 
AdaraRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foz View Post
Returning to the DIS boards after having just booked a return trip to the Fantasy makes me realize how much fun it is to plan a Disney experience. Thinking back on our B2B cruises in Sept/Oct last year, three "anecdotes" kind of stood out for us ...

[*]My wife who requires a cane was walking back to our stateroom … I was a few feet behind. A family was walking towards us … the two young kids in front stopped and stood to the side to let my wife pass … apparently the mother said to her kids as she was coming up behind them, "You don't have to wait, you're just as important as she is" ... [*]We were in line to enter the Walt Disney Theatre for the Muster Drill when a couple exited the "staff area" near the front of the line and stood up front. My DW commented that there was a line ... the wife started having a conniption stating that staff had told them to go through the staff stairs and she didn't know there was a line and so on ... she started to head towards the back of the line when THE husband spoke up and said "Come back here, you don't have to listen to her" and they proceeded to interject themselves in front of the others who had been waiting and entered the Theatre.

Sometimes it's not the youth of our society that we have to be worried about ...

But in amongst all the funny moments we did have was this one in particular ...
[*]We were waiting for our transportation that we hired for our trip back to Orlando when we struck up a conversation with a family. When my DW mentioned we had just finished a B2B, had spent a week at WDW prior and we were just on our way to a week at Universal, the mother commented on how expensive it was for us. My wife said No, that we had planned carefully and it did not cost as much as she thought we had spent. It was at then that a driver came up and after confirming who we were pointed us to our "ride" … a super-stretch Limo!! I was speechless for a second ...I must have had a dumbfounded look on my face as I had rented a large SUV, the same one that took us to PC … did I totally mess up? It was then the driver explained that the SUV was in for repairs so they sent the limo instead.


So it would be nice to hear if anyone else had a "WHAT" moment on their cruise, funny or not ...
It's incredibly sad and appalling that a mother would say that to her kids and not respect elders and people disabled to any degree small or big. And line jumping uuhhhh terrible. Im sorry that happened. Some people just don't have basic manners & common sense!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
AdaraRae
AdaraRae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaraRae View Post
It's incredibly sad and appalling that a mother would say that to her kids and not respect elders and people disabled to any degree small or big. And line jumping uuhhhh terrible. Im sorry that happened. Some people just don't have basic manners & common sense!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
On our Disney Wonder cruise in Feb. Our 6yr old DGS would be quite excited about the elevator rides. One trip when we arrived a Cruiser was there waiting. When a door opened our Grandson was in a mad rush to enter.

I held him back, explaining to him that, he would have to have a look around when first arriving, to see if others were waiting.

The Cruiser hearing me said that's okay. I explained we were his Grandparents and wished to teach him; She smiled, went on in, then we three followed.

Our Grandson whom is rather shy turned to her and asked, which floor she would like.

We adults now smiling, wished each other a great cruise!
NFLDERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
AdaraRae
Mouseketeer
 
AdaraRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDERS View Post

On our Disney Wonder cruise in Feb. Our 6yr old DGS would be quite excited about the elevator rides. One trip when we arrived a Cruiser was there waiting. When a door opened our Grandson was in a mad rush to enter.

I held him back, explaining to him that, he would have to have a look around when first arriving, to see if others were waiting.

The Cruiser hearing me said that's okay. I explained we were his Grandparents and wished to teach him; She smiled, went on in, then we three followed.

Our Grandson whom is rather shy turned to her and asked, which floor she would like.

We adults now smiling, wished each other a great cruise!
That's exactly what I try to do with my kids (4yr son & 17 month daughter) I want them to have manners for strangers and not just family. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that they act pleasantly on our cruise in September.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
AdaraRae
AdaraRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,096

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaraRae View Post
That's exactly what I try to do with my kids (4yr son & 17 month daughter) I want them to have manners for strangers and not just family. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that they act pleasantly on our cruise in September.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
I'm sure they will be pleasant. Thanks for your respectful teaching. Have a great cruise!
NFLDERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow
 
tchrrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,709

We had a lady yelling at the cast members as we were heading to an excursion last week. As we were disembarking for Salsa & Salsa, the CMs mentioned that we could grab towels. Well, the way Salsa & Salsa works is that after the 'show,' you are free to use the resort for about 45 minutes, or you can return to the ship. Well, this lady (a term I use loosely...) was flipping out. "Why do I need a towel? He (the son) doesn't even have a bathing suit on. Why didn't someone tell me?!?" DH tried to calmly explain to her that the resort time was optional, and that she didn't really need a towel. She wouldn't listen. She kept yelling at the CMs. They told her that it was listed in the excursion information. "Well, I didn't book this. Someone else booked it for me. Why isn't it listed on the tickets?" She kept complaining all the way out to the cab. I think that she maybe, possibly ended up enjoying it. I can't say for sure though b/c I carefully maneuvered my family so that we were in a different cab & sat at a different table.
__________________
Me (37) DH (40) DD (14)


2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
UCFGrad01
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDERS View Post
On our Disney Wonder cruise in Feb. Our 6yr old DGS would be quite excited about the elevator rides. One trip when we arrived a Cruiser was there waiting. When a door opened our Grandson was in a mad rush to enter.

I held him back, explaining to him that, he would have to have a look around when first arriving, to see if others were waiting.

The Cruiser hearing me said that's okay. I explained we were his Grandparents and wished to teach him; She smiled, went on in, then we three followed.

Our Grandson whom is rather shy turned to her and asked, which floor she would like.

We adults now smiling, wished each other a great cruise!
It's so awesome that you do this!

On my last cruise, a child who was probably 7 or 8 (really, old enough to have been taught otherwise by then) rushed the elevator doors when they were barely open. I was in the elevator getting out and it was startling, so instinctively my hands flew up (palms out, as if to block something coming at you - the child was NOT touched at all) and I said "Whoa, sweetie you need to wait and let people out first" The child's parents had some curt and very un-disney-like words for me, to express their dissatisfaction of me speaking to their child. Lovely.
UCFGrad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
AdaraRae
Mouseketeer
 
AdaraRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFGrad01 View Post

It's so awesome that you do this!

On my last cruise, a child who was probably 7 or 8 (really, old enough to have been taught otherwise by then) rushed the elevator doors when they were barely open. I was in the elevator getting out and it was startling, so instinctively my hands flew up (palms out, as if to block something coming at you - the child was NOT touched at all) and I said "Whoa, sweetie you need to wait and let people out first" The child's parents had some curt and very un-disney-like words for me, to express their dissatisfaction of me speaking to their child. Lovely.
Wow how sad. Now if that's all you said then you are completely right. The only thing I don't like is when other people try to discipline my kids. It's happened in public setting a few times, once with a lady actually slapping my sons hands. No idea who she was. But my son is disabled and really didn't know better than what he did. She should have gotten me and NOT touched let alone tried to discipline him.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________
AdaraRae
AdaraRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
UCFGrad01
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaraRae View Post
Wow how sad. Now if that's all you said then you are completely right. The only thing I don't like is when other people try to discipline my kids. It's happened in public setting a few times, once with a lady actually slapping my sons hands. No idea who she was. But my son is disabled and really didn't know better than what he did. She should have gotten me and NOT touched let alone tried to discipline him.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Nope, totally all I said, I promise #1 I'll probably discipline kids in my head but really never presume to know what the situation might be so rarely say anything out loud. And #2, I was traveling with a cast member so I certainly didn't want to create any kind of "situation" out of it. I was just more startled with something darting at me than anything else.

Slapping his hands? No way. That's some nerve right there.
UCFGrad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Foz
DIS Veteran
 
Foz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 579

Other than the incident with kids running up and down the hall on the deck above us (as discussed in another thread) we had no issues whatsoever with the kids on our B2B cruises. Unfortunately it's the "adults" that seem to forget or don't care about manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Main Street Matilda View Post
I am beside myself with excitement over my first DCL cruise and it's not until December of 2014! That being said - I can only hope that I don't encounter rudeness of that kind. It is impossible not to notice that there is a segment of vacationers that feel that the rules of decent society do not apply to them. I see it in the parks all the time. I do say with some pride, however, that I frequently receive comments on how considerate my children are - which in a way is surprising because they are just being decent people. That really should not be the exception ... On vacation or otherwise.
Yes, we even had a "What ?" moment in the MK with a "mother" arguing loudly with a CM in front of other families and children ... However the aforementioned incidents are more the exception than the rule thank God and we did not let it ruin our enjoyment of our wonderful Disney experience. Due to my wife's health, we rented a scooter for our stay at WDW and Universal (when we weren't cruising - lol) and encountered so many considerate, polite and thoughtful families as my wife scootered throughout the Parks or on the various transportation modes such as the monorail and boats. We are SO excited to return to the Fantasy this coming May - can hardly wait ... can't imagine waiting till December 2014

How about this "What ?" moment ... while exiting the MK after several hrs of trick & treating at the MNSSHP (yes just us two adults ), we stopped off at a candy station outside the exit with a near empty bag we had ... the CM filled it overflowing with PEEPS ... in the days after, it got to the point that anytime I offered my wife one, she would reply ... "No, not ONE peep out of you."
__________________
Foz & Sami-Jo
followed by then
Foz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
Kendal
DIS Veteran
 
Kendal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Illinois not Chicago!
Posts: 510

This is another thread that is a sore subject with me.... Atleast these kids did have respect it was the parents that were ....... Well what word am I looking for........ Um... Momma said if I don't have anything nice to say them don't say anything at all......... Have a great day

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran
 
disneyfan888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 920

I am so appalled by the words of that woman. What does that say about her? Simply horrible. I hope those kids learn to have the manners they already seem to posses, hopefully it is not sucked out by their parents.

On a more positive note, how amazing about the limo! Congrats! What an incredible surprise!
__________________





[




disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #13
Lostgirl1
Earning My Ears
 
Lostgirl1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7

[QUOTE="disneyfan888;48567348"]I am so appalled by the words of that woman. What does that say about her? Simply horrible. I hope those kids learn to have the manners they already seem to posses, hopefully it is not sucked out by their parents.

I just wonder where the kids learnt their manners. Clearly not from their mother....
Lostgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
Toria
DIS Veteran
 
Toria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 641

The people at my job say the same thing about me taking cruises. Why Disney they ask and isn't it expensive. I tell them all the pluses and not if you budget right (for me at least). I have not had a what moment on the ship but plenty at WDW. Some people are just awful.
__________________
Toria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
omalley1118
DIS Veteran
 
omalley1118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
The people at my job say the same thing about me taking cruises. Why Disney they ask and isn't it expensive. I tell them all the pluses and not if you budget right (for me at least). I have not had a what moment on the ship but plenty at WDW. Some people are just awful.
This brings up a good point! Why is it anyone's business how much you spend on your vacation???? Equally annoying are the pele who say, "oh, you're going to Disney again?!" Why is that any of sir business????? Way I do with my time and my money is MY business. Sorry, but this really annoys me!!!!
__________________
OMalley1118
Member since 2009
omalley1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.