Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

AKL vs AoA

Trip planned for August. 7 nights. DH, me, DS6 and DD2. Booked a pool view room at AKL right now. Saw that we could do a Nemo suite at AoA for about $200 more than what we're paying now. Pros/cons of either resort? Want some down time to relax and planning a resort/pool day. Is AoA a lot busier and louder do you think? The kids don't know we're going yet otherwise I'd get their opinions...

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Personally, I'd choose any deluxe over any value resort anytime.

ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
I completely agree, there is no comparison between these resorts
canadiandisneyfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Same. Your kids are young enough that they won't care where you stay, so I would choose AKL. There's no way I would pay MORE for a Value over any of the Deluxes, especially if you're looking to spend quality resort time.

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

aVASTGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Totally agree. And AKL is fantastic with the theming, the animals, being in one building and having a balcony. It also has a very nice, huge pool and two jacuzzis for those days you want to relax.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
ben10
Earning My Ears

Agree with everyone else--AKL! Less money plus we think it is wonderful for a pool/resort day there. Enjoy!
ben10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
catra121
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others and would do AKL probably in your situation. Only thing that would change my opinion would be if any of the following are a bigger priority for you: bigger room, kitchenette, separate beds for the kids, or two bathrooms. Those would be the pros for AoA over AKL. If any of those would be a big deal for you and your family then AoA might be the better choice. But the theme of the resort, activities to do, animals, pools, hot tubs, on site dining, etc are all things that would put AKL over AoA.

As a side note: I chose AoA over AKL for my September trip for the very reasons I mentioned (bigger room, 3 beds, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchenette) on a trip with 3 adults. So I'm not knocking AoA...only think in your situation that unless those things are more important than the amenities at AKL that AKL seems like the better choice for you.

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catra121 View Post
I agree with the others and would do AKL probably in your situation. Only thing that would change my opinion would be if any of the following are a bigger priority for you: bigger room, kitchenette, separate beds for the kids, or two bathrooms. Those would be the pros for AoA over AKL. If any of those would be a big deal for you and your family then AoA might be the better choice. But the theme of the resort, activities to do, animals, pools, hot tubs, on site dining, etc are all things that would put AKL over AoA.

As a side note: I chose AoA over AKL for my September trip for the very reasons I mentioned (bigger room, 3 beds, 2 bathrooms, and a kitchenette) on a trip with 3 adults. So I'm not knocking AoA...only think in your situation that unless those things are more important than the amenities at AKL that AKL seems like the better choice for you.
My ds16 asked to stay at AKL for our Sept long weekend trip. For $53 more than what Disney wants for AKL, we can rent points from a DVC owner, have a 1BR condo @ AKV: full kitchen, w/d, king bed w/jacuzzi in MBath, & a 2nd bathroom for kids. The LR has a queen sofa pull out & a twin chair pull out. My kids don't mind the sofa beds as long as they don't have to share one.

For another $200 we can get Savanna view.

There's really nothing a value can offer to make me want to stay there. I don't mean to sound snobby but quality vacations are high on my priority list.

ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
pieface
Mouseketeer

A.K.L. without a doubt if you just want to chill that's the place to do it. My second most favorite resort behind the Poly.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
plutospalforever
Statler & Waldorf

AKL is wonderful for all the aforementioned reasons, but I do feel I need to defend AoA suites. Disney calls it a "value" but it is not of the same caliber as the other Values. It has interior corridors, not outside ones. It has upgraded furnishings and features in the room that are normally found in mod and deluxe room categories. The detailing of the animated architecture is much more detailed and fine as compared to their counterparts at other Values. It takes guests into the "minds" of Disney animators and is truly a unique lodging experience. Do not let the term "value" mislead you.

plutospalforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
catnik

DIS Veteran

With your kids being 6 and 2, they will more than likely be happy with any resort and any pool and the AKL gives you as adults more atmosphere for the money.

1993@Contemporary; 1995@Buena Vista Resort; 1996@Wilderness Lodge; 1997@Dixing Landing; 1998@Port Orleans/French Quarter; 1999@Polynesian; 2000@Disneyland Hotel (concierge); 2004@Polynesian (concierge); 2005@Beach Club (concierge); 2006@Port Orleans/Riverside; October 2007:Wilderness Lodge Villas and AKL (concierge); May 2010: Bay Lake Towers; Wilderness Lodge Villas November 2011; Poly CL May 2013; upcoming: Poly November 2013

catnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

Just returned from a 4 night stay at AoA. Although we liked it just fine, it doesn't compare to AKL. Almost nothing does, really. Definitely stay with AKL (imo).
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
disd55
Mouseketeer

You can't even compare those resorts. Deluxe's have so much more to do and are quieter, for the most part. If you're going to be spending a day relaxing, a Value is not the place to do it. AKL for sure.
disd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
mrsltg
The TF wishes you happier days ahead!
Seriously - you may as well drip dry as try to get by with one square!
Miss Sneaker Pants

Well, I'll be different and throw out the opposite opinion. The choice for separate sleeping arrangements would win out for me every time. Yes, AKL is a lovely resort. I've stated there a couple of times. That said, when vacationing with the kids, I prefer the ability to be able to do stuff when they go to bed. Whether I want to sit up and watch tv, read, or even - dare I say it - have a little grown-up time with my husband, I can do that with separate rooms. There is no single hotel room that can accomplish that for me.

Regardless, good luck choosing!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
WisconsinDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltg View Post
Well, I'll be different and throw out the opposite opinion. The choice for separate sleeping arrangements would win out for me every time. Yes, AKL is a lovely resort. I've stated there a couple of times. That said, when vacationing with the kids, I prefer the ability to be able to do stuff when they go to bed. Whether I want to sit up and watch tv, read, or even - dare I say it - have a little grown-up time with my husband, I can do that with separate rooms. There is no single hotel room that can accomplish that for me.

Regardless, good luck choosing!
I agree; the AoA suites do have a lot to offer that deluxe resorts can't. In addition to having a separate bedroom, having two bathrooms would be real nice. I struggled with deciding between AoA suites and CR-GW for this very reason. I went with CR-GW because of proximity to the MK but it was a tough choice. With Aug RO discounts, the price was not that different between the two.
WisconsinDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: