Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

Rozo Family 1st Dream Cruise

We just got back this Sunday from our 3-day Bahamas Dream Cruise and I'm still not sure if it was a dream (pun intended). Thank goodness I took a lot of pictures to prove to me it really happened.

Hopefully you took a peek at my pre-trip report and know how much this trip meant to all of us

It was short but totally amazing and magical Worth every penny

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3102006

Our cast of characters:
DD21 Celebrating her 21st birthday on the Disney Dream May 23rd Embarkation day! and college graduation!
DD15 Celebrating her Confirmation and finishing her 1st year of HS!
DD9 Celebrating passing her 1st year of state testing!
DH Celebrating Celebrating Celebrating
Me Cervical Cancer Survivor 1 year Cancer Free got the call the day before departing - Definitely worth Celebrating

It's also our yearly family reunion (DD21 live in in Massachusetts)

Before going on our 1st cruise I did a lot of lurking on the DIS Boards and got a lot of great tips. This is my way of giving back and hopefully it will help others.
yajaira74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

We were packed and ready by Wednesday night. We live about 3-hours from the Port but needed to drop of our dog Nubi at Grandma's who lives an hour from the Port. This required us to be up at 5am and on the road by 6am. Even with 3 girls sharing 1 bathroom this went off with out a hitch:
We had 3 carry-on's and 3 check-in bags.
Carry on (1) drink-cups & 6 pack of water (2) Drinks: Champage, Wine, Vodka, 12-pack of beer (3) Change of clothes for Dinner

The Princesses were up and ready for a quick Dunken Donuts stop and off we went

We drove by several buses on our way to Grandma's and could sense the sadness of the many people who just got off the cruise. It just made us more excited.
once we dropped off the grand-doggy it was time to head towards The Radisson to drop off the car and grab their shuttle to the port

We used http://parkportcanaveral.com/ I paid a week before $6.99 a day which was much less than the port at $15 a day I later read that some who have paid months in advance paid only $3.99 a day what a deal.

It was very convenient. We parked across the street from The Radisson where I went into the office and presented my receipt and was given a parking pass for the front of the car. She also gave me a return ticket to give to the driver when we came back on Sunday.
While I was inside DH was unloading the luggage. Once he was done parking the car the shuttle pulled right up the driver loaded our luggage on the shuttle and we were on our way. The whole process took about 15 minutes.

5 minutes later we had arrived at the port! The shuttle made 1 stop at Carnival and then it was our turn
I was sitting right up front and the driver was nice enough to stay at the stop sign long enough for me to take a picture:

I'm pretty sure we skipped off the shuttle not before DH placed $6 in the tip jar ($1 a bag)
The driver took our luggage out and explained to us where to meet the shuttle for the return trip (section #4) at which point the Disney porters came to take our luggage and explain to us to have our ID's out and proceed to the terminal
DH tipped him $6 too

Last edited by yajaira74; 06-17-2013 at 10:23 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Rx774
Mouseketeer

Congrats on your trip.
You have a great looking family.
I take it you had a wonderful time.
More please.
D (39) M (36) Annika - Wish Kid #2 (12) Christian - Wish Kid #1 (7) Dylan (3)
Christian's Make A Wish Trip Report

Annika's Make A Wish Trip Report
Rx774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

Terminal Excitement

We showed our IDs at the gate and proceeded to the terminal where they x-rayed our carry-ons and we walked through the metal detectors. (just like the airport but on a smaller scale) No pictures allowed

There were 2 lines and it was very quick. Up the escalator we went and we stepped into the terminal.

Everything was going according to plan! I had an 11:30 PAT

We stepped up to counter where they checked our paperwork, took our pictures, gave us our KTTW card and our boarding card. Checked the card and we still have late dining (I'd keep my fingers crossed and hope to be able to change it with the Maitre'd)

We were given boarding #10 which was great since I had heard someone say that they were boarding #35

We were approaching to take a picture in front of the model ship when a CM asked us if we would start the line for Minnie...YES!!! We'd more than love to.

It was now time to wait for our number to be called. The line for Kids clubs was 100 people deep. I quickly remembered reading on DIS that it is easier to register/check-in at the club during open hours. We took the time to pull out our homemade KTTW card holders to hang from our lanyards and quickly use the restroom. Oh yeah lets not forget to give DH the nausea meds. One drop behind each ear and he was ready to set sail!

They announced the 1st Family of the Day and promptly at 12:00 started boarding

15 minutes later we hear "now boarding 1-10" Hey that's us! Through the ears we go

As we wait in line on the gangway to take the boarding picture. Welcome flags

On the gangway it was time for the 1st picture. You hand the photographer your KTTW card and they snap quite a few.

The time had finally come we were about to step on the ship. We wait patiently at the entrance while they ask our family name

"Welcome the Rozo Family" and that's when the tears started. I somehow made it through the line and through my blubbering asked the CM...
"Which way to the aquaduck?"

Last edited by yajaira74; 05-31-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
Cheryl726
DIS Veteran

Looks like a great start, interested to read more! I just love the terminal and the welcome you get!
Old 05-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
bbn1122
DIS Veteran

Thank you for sharing....what a beautiful family. 3 daughters....I have 3 sons, 19, 15 and 13.

I am looking forward to your whole report. We will be on the Dream 3 night for the 2nd time next August. When went the first time in 2011 we had to deal with the remnants of Hurricane Irene, so it was a little disappointing , no CC..

AKL - Aug 2011,
HHI - August 2012
OKW - August 2014
Vero Beach - August 2014
Magic - West Carib April 2010, 2 night NYC June 2012
Dream - 3 night - August 2011 3 Night Dream - August 2014
bbn1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx774
Congrats on your trip.
You have a great looking family.
I take it you had a wonderful time.
More please.
Thank you we had an awesome time
Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl726
Looks like a great start, interested to read more! I just love the terminal and the welcome you get!
Thank you everything was perfect beginning to end
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbn1122
Thank you for sharing....what a beautiful family. 3 daughters....I have 3 sons, 19, 15 and 13.

I am looking forward to your whole report. We will be on the Dream 3 night for the 2nd time next August. When went the first time in 2011 we had to deal with the remnants of Hurricane Irene, so it was a little disappointing , no CC..

No CC that's awful. I'm sure you will have an outstanding time thus August
Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biged9973
Congratulations on being 1 year cancer free. My wife is 3 years cancer free, also cervical cancer. There is nothing like going thru treatment etc to give you perspective on the important things in life.

You guys look like you had an amazing time and I'm looking forward to more!!
Thank you. It us an amazing feeling. Congrats to your wife as well
Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3
I am loving your report! We are on our first ever cruise (also a 3 night bahamas) on Nov 14 and I hope we have as much fun as your family is having!

One question....How did you decide what restaurant to eat breakfast at in the morning? If you don't go to Cabanas for breakfast do you go to the restaurant you will be dining at that night?

Also I love how much you were able to accomplish in Nassau just before lunchtime! We are undecided about what to do that day, but I really didn't want to pay for a pricey excursion.

More!! More!!
You're going to love it!
The navigator they place in your room every night will list which restaurants are open for breakfast.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaira74
You're going to love it!
The navigator they place in your room every night will list which restaurants are open for breakfast.
I always kept my navigator with me. I would fold it and put in my camera bag. Always took it out at lunch and dinner to check what was going on and what we were going to do next
Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

Oops almost forgot about the postcards

Before we left the ship to tour Nassau. I took with me the postcards that are in the desk draw. My tour was going to take us past the post office so I knew I could buy bahamian stamps and mail postcards to ourselves reminding us of how much fun we were having. I had heard the Post Office at Castaway Cay was hit or miss as to when it was open and I didn't want to take the chance. To my surprise there was a Post Office Kiosk in the Welcome center so on our way back from touring the Bahamas and swiming at the beach. I stopped by the Post Office Kiosk and purchased 2 Bahamian stamps for $1 and had the girls write DH & Me something great on the postcards. (PS bring your own pen they didn't have any but I had ours that we took to the Princess Gathering)
We don't know what they wrote and can't wait for them to arrive. I am sure they will have forgotten by the time they get here to so it will be fun and exciting to receive them
Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
yajaira74
Mouseketeer

Pirate Night - My favorite Night

DD9 had an old pirate costume from DD15 and the rest of us put together our Pirate looks from what we had. The Bandannas tied it all together. We even got Pirate Mickey's approval

This night we had dinner at Animator Palate. The crush show was entertaining. This is where the girls got their light-up pirate cups for $5 (another great value souvenir!)

DD15 had had a late night at the Vibe and didn't make it to dessert again

After dinner we made it up to deck 12 to watch the Mickey Pirate show it was fun and really got everyone in the Pirate mood. We still remember the special Pirate Dance Moves they taught us.

This night was the Villains tonight show. I had read many times on DIS that this was everyone's least favorite. Well DH LOVED it as did the rest of us it was as expected of course a really good Disney show and very funny.

After the show we made it over to the D-Lounge for "A Pirates Life For Me" family games like toss the doubloons in the bucket and Swab the deck

They even taught us the Official Pirate song

It was time for the Pirate show and Fireworks. We made it back to our favorite spot on the 12

Do not miss this show and fireworks it was impressive!
After the fireworks the whole place turns into Club Pirate. They play music and its a huge dance party the kids had a blast

As the music started I snuck down to Cabanas and got DH this

YUP! TURKEY LEG!!! A little tip my TA gave me. There was a buffet with Turkey Legs and Taco stations and some desserts. I didn't see it advertised in the Navigator and I had many people ask us where we got it. DH was very happy

That turkey leg gave us the energy to dance the night away

It came to a close around 12 and we decided to stop by Evolutions just to see what was going on. Little did we know we were walking in to a wedding reception! Well it would have been rude to leave so we stayed to help celebrate.

We made it back to the room around 1am and DD9 wanted to order room service. Well why not that's part of the vacation fun so we ordered for everyone to share: chicken strips, cheese burger and fries, and milk and cookies. What can I say, all that dancing made us hungry

The next day was Castaway Cay we couldn't wait for our 1st attempt at snorkeling
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Cheryl726
DIS Veteran

I have a few questions about Junkanoo Beach, did you walk there and back to the ship? Can you purchase food also and water sport equipment? Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: