Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
dita029
Earning My Ears

cruise without a passport?

We are cruising on the Wonder in October, and I was planning on getting everyone passports but I'm curious to know if it's absolutely necessary. Has anyone ever did a cruise without one? I am more concerned of being stranded in a foreign country... If an emergency occurs.
dita029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

People do it on closed looped cruises with a government issued ID and birth certificate.

I would not personally choose to do this for the reasons you mentioned. Plus it opens up a world of possibilities. Flying somewhere new? Well, we already have passports!

Of course you should not take your passport off the ship in port, but many people make color copies to have with them just in case of said emergency.
WDW: Lifelong Passholder DLR: 1st Visit Feb 08 DLRP: Oct 10 Aulani: May 12 DCL: Magic {Western/Double Dip} Nov 09 Wonder Jan 10, Wonder Aug 10, Wonder {Mexico} Feb 11, Dream {Birthday Trip!} Oct 11 Fantasy {Eastern} Oct 12 Dream Nov 12, Dream Dec 12, Wonder {Miami w/Castaway} Jan 13, Wonder {WBPC} May 13, Magic {Anniversary & Platinum!} Nov 13 Wonder {Miami w/Key West} Jan 14, Fantasy {Western} Mar 14, Fantasy {Eastern} May 14, Magic {Southern} Sept 14, Dream {Friends' Vow Renewal} Nov 14, Magic {Friends' Wedding} May 15

99 Days at Sea
cris0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Beehn
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Of course you should not take your passport off the ship in port, but many people make color copies to have with them just in case of said emergency.
This is probably a stupid question, but.....
If the point of taking the passport is in case you get stranded somewhere, what good is it to leave it on the ship? Will they really accept a photocopy?
Beehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Capt_BJ
So Many Times

If the point of taking the passport is in case you get stranded somewhere, what good is it to leave it on the ship? Will they really accept a photocopy?

Silly person ... you looked at the issue logically!!!!

Having the photocopy CAN help the Embassy speed up your replacement process . . but it is NOT a get out of jail free card

WDW more than I can count incl EPCOT opening
40+ cruises including
DCL x 7 incl inaugural years of Magic and Wonder
retired 29 yr USCG, 12 years at sea, 4 in Command
Capt_BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_BJ View Post

Silly person ... you looked at the issue logically!!!!

Having the photocopy CAN help the Embassy speed up your replacement process . . but it is NOT a get out of jail free card
Its not about being stranded in port for me. If I have an emergency in port hopefully a family member can retrieve my passport. You cant account for all emergencies. For me its more about an issue with the ship stranding us in a foreign port or having a serious enough medical emergency to need evacuation.
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
disneylove69
DIS Veteran

Get the passports. Costly now but good for 10yrs. Keep a photocopy at home.

disneylove69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Bunchof0rz
Angie 0rz

We are on the Wonder on Oct.19

Bunchof0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
Plaid Princess
Recovering CM, Pilot in Training

I cruised once with only my birth cert/ID and was nervous about it the whole time (miscalculated the expiration on my passport and didn't get the renewal in time). Plus, I keep waiting for that passport required for cruising rule to pop up suddenly.

Plaid Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
kapoof
DIS Veteran

We are getting our passports even though we are cruising a closed loop cruise. I want them just to be sure I got everything covered. Plus, we can book another longer cruise without worry. I think the passport is just the best thing to have, it will give me more peace of mind. We aren't even getting off the boat with the exception of cast away cay!

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 AM   #10
sjenkins49
Earning My Ears

Get the passport. I just came off my first cruise in March without a passport and was also nervous the whole time. I did not enjoy myself on the islands because I was worried about getting back to the boat on time instead of just having fun.
07/19/09 – 07/25/09 Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
03/24/10 – 03/31/10 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
06/04/11 – 06/11/11 Disney's Yacht Club
01/20/12 – 01/23/12 Disney's Pop Century Resort
06/02/12 – 06/10/12 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
10/07/12 – 10/12/12 Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
03/16/13 – 03/20/13 Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista
06/08/13 – 06/15/13 Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort
sjenkins49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
cruisinwithmaandpa
Happiness is being grandparents

Last year on Magic our grandson traveled with birth certificate only. No issues whatsoever. You will be fine. As far as a color copy of a passport, it is useless, is not a recognized form of ID, must have the actual passport.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover. - Mark Twain
cruisinwithmaandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
DVC_Chris
Is there anything I don't know?

You only need the passport, but lets look at the situation that occurred on Grandeur of the Seas. If you had been on that cruise, there would have been a delay in getting home, because you would not have been able to fly home from Freeport after the fire with only a driver's license in birth certificate. The American Consulate could have expedited a passport for you, but it probably would take a day or two. Now this is a rare situation, but it is something that can occur.
Disney Magic 2/17/2007 (ROY SUITE), 7 Night 2/14/2009
Disney Dream - 5 Night - 4/10/2012

DLP - Summer 1994
DL - Summers 1988, 1996, and 2004 (Honeymoon), February 2011

3 Mountain and a Boat DVC Member

3 Time Survivor of the WDW College Program

Looking up, that could be way too much Mouse for a thirty-something...
DVC_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #13
Eleblanc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinwithmaandpa View Post
Last year on Magic our grandson traveled with birth certificate only. No issues whatsoever. You will be fine. As far as a color copy of a passport, it is useless, is not a recognized form of ID, must have the actual passport.

The copy is more so you have the information to aide in getting help and a replacement if needed. Of course the a photocopy will not pass for anything, but it has all your info in one place when you need to go to the embassy or consulate to get an official replacement.
Eleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #14
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dita029 View Post
We are cruising on the Wonder in October, and I was planning on getting everyone passports but I'm curious to know if it's absolutely necessary. Has anyone ever did a cruise without one? I am more concerned of being stranded in a foreign country... If an emergency occurs.
Clearly you're concerned & as PPs noted they were nervous when sailing, w/o passports. Do your self a favor get the passports & put your concern to rest.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818 View Post
Clearly you're concerned & as PPs noted they were nervous when sailing, w/o passports. Do your self a favor get the passports & put your concern to rest.

THIS!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: