Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

DDW does Disneyland! - 6/28 Complete w/ Grand Finale of WDW Food Photos!

Hi everyone! Im DonaldDoleWhip, and Im here to share some thoughts on my latest Disney experience. The last time I started a thread like this was almost 10 months ago for our August trip, which was fantastic and included my first ever Dis meet (thank you Brenda for suggesting it!). However, I also headed down to WDW over winter break and sent some updates to the incredible Live Update thread (thank you Barb for keeping it going!). I've really enjoyed sharing so many WDW updates, but this report will be different from my previous ones.

Why? Well partly because I'm now old enough to drink in the US, which means sampling some interesting Disney beverages for the first time. But also because this isn't a WDW report.

Earlier this week, my mom surprised me with a short trip to LA (one of my favorite places!), including 2 nights at Disneyland. We got back earlier this week. Surprise!

More updates are coming up soon - I just wanted to kick things off. Can't wait to get started on this report!

Last edited by DonaldDoleWhip; 06-27-2013 at 11:02 PM.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Yay!!! I'm so here!

Darn that we missed you since I was traveling in the Midwest at the same time! But heck, I'm looking forward to your reviews!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Im in! Glad you got your disney fix in !

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

YAY! Just when I was saying we were soooo past due for another great DDW review thread! All aboard, captain!

B & C , Local AP/TiW holders & resort junkies!
12/08: CR & SSR|10/09: VWL| 1/10:AKL&POFQ| 10/10:AKL| 1/11:CR| 2/11:POFQ| 1/12:AKL|5/12:BC|
9/12:BC| 10/12:SSR| 1/13:ASMu| 5/13:BC| 6/13:POP| 8/13:WL| 10/13:POFQ| 12/13:Disney Dream| 1/14: ASMu| 3/14: BC
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Yay!!! I'm so here!

Darn that we missed you since I was traveling in the Midwest at the same time! But heck, I'm looking forward to your reviews!!
Yay, you're here! And I know - it was actually the worst timing ever for a surprise trip. But we'll definitely have to come back again and catch you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Im in! Glad you got your disney fix in !
Thanks so much! It feels so good to be doing a Disney report again (even though it'll be pretty short). This past year has been such a huge pain - I've fallen so incredibly behind on the Dis, so now I have to make up for lost time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
YAY! Just when I was saying we were soooo past due for another great DDW review thread! All aboard, captain!
Hahaha agreed - I hinted that a report would be coming really soon, as it's definitely been too long since last time. Hopefully the Disneyland twist will make this one interesting!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Oh I am so excited to read along with this one !!

Your photos are stunning as always

Can't wait to hear what your first ever Disney adult beverage was
Linda67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

I haven't been online for quite a while to check out the dining reviews because I started a new job and I can't get on at work and my phone is having major issues. But I'm able to sneak on today only to find a new DDW review!! I'm so excited. And then I leave for vacation for 10 days on Wednesday so I'll have to catch up when I get back. Beautiful pictures so far and I'm super excited to read this as I'll be taking a trip to DL in August for the Disneyland Half Marathon. I pretty much know nothing about DL so your review has come at a perfect time!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

I'm hooked already! Great start!

I have not been to Disneyland since 2005, so I can't wait to see/read about all the changes I am missing out on.

Also, loved the Donald Duck Hollywood star pic!
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Perfectly put! At park open there are two groups of people... those running for the RSR FP line and those going directly to the ride. I don't wait in the FP line since you can typically get in line with a 15 minute wait and then go get a FP for another round. (oh, and early AP admission dates were handy this winter so we could go twice on RSR before park open!)

Did you get new tires or get a piant job? There are two ride scenarios for RSR.

I love that they announce for people to walk after they do rope drop and you see people power walking the first 20 yards or so and then start to pick up the pace until yep, they are moseying down the road at a jog.

The Cove Bar... can't wait to see what you ordered!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

How on earth did I manage to miss the Cove Bar on both of my DL trips??!!

OK - so there's the excuse to go back
Linda67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Oh, like you NEED an excuse

P.S. Have you told Mr Linda67 about March yet
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Can't believe I missed this. Putting Cove Bar on my to do list.

Jill in CO
Definitely hit up Cove Bar if you're going to be at DCA! The location and menu are both fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
I was so excited to see you're doing DL reviews! We'll be taking our first trip there in just a few more months.

The Cove Bar looks really good. I can't wait to try it! It should be a nice reward for running the Dumbo Double Dare over Labor Day weekend
I hope you have a great time on your first DL trip! Even though it's smaller than WDW, there's still so much to see. And you'll definitely deserve a treat (or five) after the Double Dumbo Dare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Your drink picture with that view of the park in the background is fantastic! Looks like something right out of a travel guide. Love it!

The tacos look delicious. I'm with you, love cilantro! The more the better.
Thanks so much for the comments on the pic! Everything about my experience at Cove Bar - the food, drink, and setting - were all awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Woohoo, a new DDW dining review - and a DL one at that. This is a treat

Love that you are now old enough to drink (legally) at Disney (in fact everywhere), congrats Here's to plenty of DDW cocktail/drinks reviews - as well as the food of course.
Thanks for the congrats! I'm definitely hoping to share a few more WDW reviews sometime soon (maybe as part of the Live Update thread again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
How on earth did I manage to miss the Cove Bar on both of my DL trips??!!

Honestly, I don't think missing the Cove Bar is too much of a surprise! The main reason I was so drawn to it was to try the lobster nachos (which ended up not happening ), but it's definitely somewhere I'd recommend if you find yourself back in DL.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
awfullybigadventure
Mouseketeer

Oh my gosh, so happy to be reading my first DonaldDoleWhip review! I feel like you are a legend of sorts!

Fish+Cilantro+Lime=HEAVEN! I am with you, everything can use a little cilantro! Love your report so far, great pictures! Can't wait to read the rest!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullybigadventure View Post
Oh my gosh, so happy to be reading my first DonaldDoleWhip review! I feel like you are a legend of sorts!

Fish+Cilantro+Lime=HEAVEN! I am with you, everything can use a little cilantro! Love your report so far, great pictures! Can't wait to read the rest!
Wow, I'm so honored by your words - thanks so much! I hope you really enjoy the report (and that you aren't too disappointed with the side commentary) - if it were another WDW review, I'd probably be focusing mainly on the food. But since it's Disneyland, I feel like a kid in a candy store (or, in my case, a Disney Store ) with way too much to say about Disneyland Resort!

I plan to have a small food update ready for tomorrow, but in the meanwhile, another DCA interlude is coming up tonight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: