Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
2ndStarr
Earning My Ears
 
2ndStarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York State
Posts: 70

Caribbean Beach Review

I was really concerned about all of the negative reviews I had read on CBR, but since our goal is to stay at each resort, I pulled the trigger. Boy am I ever glad I did. It was amazing.

We had two rooms in Jamaica Bldg 45 per our request. They were clean, quiet, and spacious (I imagine it helps that this was our first trip w/out a pack and play). The resort it beautiful. Just gorgeous. The playground is one of the best I have seen at disney, the feature pool was fantastic and included a pirate ship water jungle gym, as opposed to the traditional wading pool for little ones. The quick service was huge and had a decent selection.Shutters was excellent for dinner. We were able to see the fireworks from Illuminations from a hammock on the beach.

The transportation was a breeze. We took cabs a few times, but we do that from any resort if we're going to another resort or doing something stupid early in the morning. The cabs picked us up right behind our building. The bus stop was very close, and the busses arrived regularly without much waiting. Even when we were the first stop it didn't take more than a few minutes to complete the loop and get on our way.

Bell services was wonderful, driving us and our luggage to and from the Customs House when necessary. I can't think of anything that we wanted but did not have at this resort.

We transferred to WL for our last few days and just didn't like it as much. The shower was nicer and the TV fancier, but the pool was lacking and the quick service dining was a joke. Loved the theming there though. I only mention it in comparison because it is priced higher than CBR, but we didn't like it half as much. DH and I agreed that CBR is our new favorite with Poly and POFQ tied at a very close second.

While I can't wait to return, our next stay will be at CSR. Gotta catch 'em all!
__________________
2ndStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
acwsmom
Mouseketeer
 
acwsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 231

So glad to read this! DH and I are taking an adults-only trip to celebrate our anniversary this fall and we decided this was the perfect time to do our first moderate resort (normally stay at Pop with kids). Since he lets me do the majority of the planning and picking out all the restaurants, I thought I'd be nice and let him pick the resort. He picked CBR, even though I secretly was dreaming of CSR. I'm trying to get excited about CBR but just keep seeing some negative reviews so it's been hard. So I'm really glad to read your review! I'm kind of looking forward to it now!
__________________
Me DH DD (13) DS (8)

Adult's Only Anniversary Celebration Sept 2013
Pop Century, May 2012 -- Pop Century, Nov 2010 --
Pop Century, Oct 2009 -- Offsite & Kids First Trip 2008 -- My First WDW Trip 1989
acwsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,557

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndStarr View Post
I was really concerned about all of the negative reviews I had read on CBR, but since our goal is to stay at each resort, I pulled the trigger. Boy am I ever glad I did. It was amazing.

We had two rooms in Jamaica Bldg 45 per our request. They were clean, quiet, and spacious (I imagine it helps that this was our first trip w/out a pack and play). The resort it beautiful. Just gorgeous. The playground is one of the best I have seen at disney, the feature pool was fantastic and included a pirate ship water jungle gym, as opposed to the traditional wading pool for little ones. The quick service was huge and had a decent selection.Shutters was excellent for dinner. We were able to see the fireworks from Illuminations from a hammock on the beach.

The transportation was a breeze. We took cabs a few times, but we do that from any resort if we're going to another resort or doing something stupid early in the morning. The cabs picked us up right behind our building. The bus stop was very close, and the busses arrived regularly without much waiting. Even when we were the first stop it didn't take more than a few minutes to complete the loop and get on our way.

Bell services was wonderful, driving us and our luggage to and from the Customs House when necessary. I can't think of anything that we wanted but did not have at this resort.

We transferred to WL for our last few days and just didn't like it as much. The shower was nicer and the TV fancier, but the pool was lacking and the quick service dining was a joke. Loved the theming there though. I only mention it in comparison because it is priced higher than CBR, but we didn't like it half as much. DH and I agreed that CBR is our new favorite with Poly and POFQ tied at a very close second.

While I can't wait to return, our next stay will be at CSR. Gotta catch 'em all!
Thanks for your review . Glad you had a good time and loved CBR. CBR was our first onsite stay and even though it was quite some time ago (2002), we loved it and remember it like it was yesterday. Reading your review is everything I remember about it......the room was clean, the food court was great with alot of variety, our boys loved the pool (which has been redone since our stay), and the buses were awesome with little or no waiting . I'm glad to see that after 11 years other people are experiencing the same great resort we did .

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwsmom View Post
So glad to read this! DH and I are taking an adults-only trip to celebrate our anniversary this fall and we decided this was the perfect time to do our first moderate resort (normally stay at Pop with kids). Since he lets me do the majority of the planning and picking out all the restaurants, I thought I'd be nice and let him pick the resort. He picked CBR, even though I secretly was dreaming of CSR. I'm trying to get excited about CBR but just keep seeing some negative reviews so it's been hard. So I'm really glad to read your review! I'm kind of looking forward to it now!
I would take the negative reviews with a grain of salt. After I booked our Poly stay (back in 2007), I read a lot of negative reviews and started second guessing my choice and almost changed resorts due to those reviews. After giving it a lot of thought, I decided to stick with it and see for ourselves what we thought of the resort as the Poly was always at the top of our list of resorts to try. I am so glad I stuck with it because we loved the Poly from the minute we checked in and if I would have changed, we would have missed out on one of the best vacations we ever had!!! We have had great trips at all of the resorts we've stayed at, but the Poly was just fabulous and I would have never known what I was missing had I switched resorts. With that said, you won't know if you like CBR until you experience it for yourself. Everyone's opinions are different and I wouldn't let some negative reviews make that choice for you. I'm sure you're going to have a great trip .
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
2ndStarr
Earning My Ears
 
2ndStarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York State
Posts: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwsmom View Post
So glad to read this! DH and I are taking an adults-only trip to celebrate our anniversary this fall and we decided this was the perfect time to do our first moderate resort (normally stay at Pop with kids). Since he lets me do the majority of the planning and picking out all the restaurants, I thought I'd be nice and let him pick the resort. He picked CBR, even though I secretly was dreaming of CSR. I'm trying to get excited about CBR but just keep seeing some negative reviews so it's been hard. So I'm really glad to read your review! I'm kind of looking forward to it now!
I think CBR would be perfect for an adult-only stay. It is so peaceful and there are many hidden spots to be alone and enjoy each other's company. While the size of the place is a drawback for many, I like that it give you plenty of space to get away from the noise of the feature pool and other busy areas. We rented a surrey bike and did the loop around the resort and its just amazing how serene the whole place is. I've never been to the real Caribbean, but the resort is a lot like how I imagine it (minus the crippling poverty and ferral dogs of course).
__________________
2ndStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
kellyjeanie
DIS Veteran
 
kellyjeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 543

So glad to see this review! We're staying at CBR in October and I'm super excited. Glad you guys enjoyed your stay!
__________________
Kelly
DH - DS (8) - DD (5) - DS (2)
kellyjeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
Rohrfamily2610
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1

Yay!!

I've been waiting for a good review! Thank you!! We are going in Sep and had tried for the POR And POFQ.... Unfortunately they were booked for what we needed. So we chose CBR and have been a little concerned with all the negativity. So seriously- THANK YOU for taking the time to write it all out. You have totally made my day!
Rohrfamily2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
freckles04
DIS Veteran
 
freckles04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 920

I keep waffling back and forth about POR vs. CBR. (Double beds are really turning me off... pool looks awesome, though!)

I know the pirate ship waterplay feature is for little kids, but I think my 9 year old would still enjoy it, especially the dumping bucket! Do they let kids his age play in that area?
__________________
ME: DS10:

freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #8
carly chloe
DIS Veteran
 
carly chloe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: minnesota
Posts: 932

CBR is our families favorite resort and we have stayed deluxe and values before. There are alot of negative reviews and I don't know wh- all of are stays are wonderful- but we like the caribbean too and it's so relaxing. Going back in December- can't wait!!!!!
__________________
carly chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
momof2intx
DIS Veteran
 
momof2intx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 545

Another vote for CBR! We stayed there in 2009 and we are going back this year, we loved it so much. Had a ground floor room and every morning cute little ducks were "knocking" on our door. I call them Disney ducks

Stayed at AKL last trip and can say that we enjoy CBR much more!
__________________

1989-1990 AP Holder, 5/1994- offsite, 10/2002 - Disneyland, 5/2003- Buena Vista Palace, 5/2005-Hyatt Grand Cypress, 5/2006- Universal Studios,7/2007- POP , 2/2009 - CBR , 7/2009 POR, 6/2011, AKL, 6/2013 - CBR!!!



momof2intx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #10
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran
 
bigbabyblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 10,011

Thanks for the review! We're leaving for CBR in ten days, and I can't wait! We've stayed there before, but it was 1997 and 2005, so it's been quite awhile.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
dis_guy
DIS Veteran
 
dis_guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NE Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,335

Thanks for the review. You sum up exactly how our family feels about CBR. It's our favourite resort and we are now planning our eighth trip there for March 2014. Already have a great deal on airfare, so I guess it's official.
__________________
dis_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles04 View Post

I know the pirate ship waterplay feature is for little kids, but I think my 9 year old would still enjoy it, especially the dumping bucket! Do they let kids his age play in that area?
It's height restricted. DS was too tall at 7 and they absolutely would not let him enter. It was coldish, the pool was nearly empty, but it was a no go. Unless your 9 year old is very small, don't let him entertain that area as an option.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Disneymadhouse
DIS Veteran
 
Disneymadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northampton, England
Posts: 984

Can I just jump in and ask what the max. height is for the water play area at CBR? My DD will be nearly 6 when we go next year and is quite tall for her age. The pirate ship water play area was one of the main reasons for us choosing CBR!

Thanks

Claire
__________________
1994 WDW1999 Polynesian/Disney Magic2002 All star Sports2005 Disneyland2007 WDW Maingate Lakeside2012 OKW2014 Disney Magic 2015 ASMu/ Disney Dream



Disneymadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
crusoe2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 1,575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneymadhouse View Post
Can I just jump in and ask what the max. height is for the water play area at CBR? My DD will be nearly 6 when we go next year and is quite tall for her age. The pirate ship water play area was one of the main reasons for us choosing CBR!

Thanks

Claire
Unless they have changed it recently, the max height is 48 inches. I'm bummed cause that means that DD won't be able to play in that area this trip. But last time we were there, a little girl hit her head on part of the play structure and was bleeding pretty badly. The little girl was taller than my DD (who was already a bit over the height limit). So apparently they haven't always been as strict about the height rule. But it's understandable why they started to enforce it. And I'd rather deal with a disappointed kid than an injured kid.
__________________
crusoe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,250

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusoe2 View Post
So apparently they haven't always been as strict about the height rule. But it's understandable why they started to enforce it. And I'd rather deal with a disappointed kid than an injured kid.
Some people have said that bigger kids can go in with little siblings.

As the mom of an only, who doesn't WANT DS to be an only and wants more but the universe has said no for years now, this enrages me like I cannot even believe. If it's a restriction it's a restriction. If you're going to let in that tall child who was lucky enough to have parents lucky enough to have more or be able to afford to adopt others, then you had best let in mine, because his luck should have nothing to do with his ability to have fun in an area like that.

I'm slightly opinionated on it.


(and don't get me started on how only tiny children get to go in the ball pit at places like Ikea; just as kids stop having "but he is potty trained" accidents IN the ball pit, just as kids get more control over their bodies, just as they could really have some good fun...they are banned. Not at all fair!)

(ah, the outrages I have because my son is mystifyingly tall but is still 100% a kid...)
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.