Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
pooch
I feel so special now!!
 
pooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: enfield, ct
Posts: 3,383

Please help with my lodgings dilemma

Ok, DH (non-Disney lover) ad I are going down for a week right after Thanksgiving to visit DD (cast member at Universal). I got great fares on Southwest ($90 PP each way on points). I was resigned to staying off site at the Marriott Grande Vista, then WDW offered me free dining, hence my dilemma!!

These are my choices:

1. Stay at the Marriott. We would have a 1 bedroom villa with a kitchen and a balcony. They also throw in 3 day WDW passes for DH & I. (DD has an AP) Would need to rent a car or have a car service for to and from airport. We would have to pay for ALL our food but would not be limited to WDW restaurants. Cost for the room would be $1750 plus rental car and food.

2. Stay At Port Orleans French Quarter (Garden View). The room would be much smaller (DD will be on the reservation but will probably not stay EVERY night with us). We probably won't need a rental car because of DME and the availability of DD and her car. We would have 2 day passes and DD would save hers to use when she renews her AP. Probably 75% of our food costs will be covered by eating on property. Our food options would have to be mostly out of park as I promised DH (remember him? the non-disney lover?) this would not be a "DISNEY" trip so only 2 days in a park and probably 3 days away from WDW. Cost for this option $2200

I have both options reserved at present. So what do I do?
__________________
POOCH
4/84 Off Site, 10/89 CBR, 9/99 DxL, 8/06 WL, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 POFQ, 9/09 Pop, 9/10 Pop, 8/11 Pop, 5/12 CSR, 11/12 At DD's, 12/13 POFQ
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way
 
TigrLvsPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Ok, DH (non-Disney lover) ad I are going down for a week right after Thanksgiving to visit DD (cast member at Universal). I got great fares on Southwest ($90 PP each way on points). I was resigned to staying off site at the Marriott Grande Vista, then WDW offered me free dining, hence my dilemma!!

These are my choices:

1. Stay at the Marriott. We would have a 1 bedroom villa with a kitchen and a balcony. They also throw in 3 day WDW passes for DH & I. (DD has an AP) Would need to rent a car or have a car service for to and from airport. We would have to pay for ALL our food but would not be limited to WDW restaurants. Cost for the room would be $1750 plus rental car and food.

2. Stay At Port Orleans French Quarter (Garden View). The room would be much smaller (DD will be on the reservation but will probably not stay EVERY night with us). We probably won't need a rental car because of DME and the availability of DD and her car. We would have 2 day passes and DD would save hers to use when she renews her AP. Probably 75% of our food costs will be covered by eating on property. Our food options would have to be mostly out of park as I promised DH (remember him? the non-disney lover?) this would not be a "DISNEY" trip so only 2 days in a park and probably 3 days away from WDW. Cost for this option $2200

I have both options reserved at present. So what do I do?
I would do POFQ with free dining. I am not a fan of staying off site, I don't like driving to the parks or taking hotel shuttles. Plus I don't spend time in my room or have any desire to use a kitchen. However, if you do like to spend time in your room and you plan to do any cooking, etc, then the villa is probably better for you.
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
pooch
I feel so special now!!
 
pooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: enfield, ct
Posts: 3,383

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigrLvsPooh View Post
I would do POFQ with free dining. I am not a fan of staying off site, I don't like driving to the parks or taking hotel shuttles. Plus I don't spend time in my room or have any desire to use a kitchen. However, if you do like to spend time in your room and you plan to do any cooking, etc, then the villa is probably better for you.
When just DD and I go to WDW, we stay at Pop Century because we just want a clean room for sleeping and showering. We are at the parks the whole time. But I can't do that with DH. He needs to relax at the resort but not necessarily in the room. I picked POFQ because I think there are a few things we can do just hanging around there and also its proximity to DTD. DD points out that she has a kitchen in her apartment (lives in Kissimmee) if I have a burning desire to cook .

DD and I really want to stay on property. We LOVE WDW!!!! But I am trying not to be selfish as it is DH's vacation too. I keep telling myself we WILL eat up (no pin intended) the cost difference in free food even if we do eat a few meals off site.
__________________
POOCH
4/84 Off Site, 10/89 CBR, 9/99 DxL, 8/06 WL, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 POFQ, 9/09 Pop, 9/10 Pop, 8/11 Pop, 5/12 CSR, 11/12 At DD's, 12/13 POFQ
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way
 
TigrLvsPooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,899

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
When just DD and I go to WDW, we stay at Pop Century because we just want a clean room for sleeping and showering. We are at the parks the whole time. But I can't do that with DH. He needs to relax at the resort but not necessarily in the room. I picked POFQ because I think there are a few things we can do just hanging around there and also its proximity to DTD. DD points out that she has a kitchen in her apartment (lives in Kissimmee) if I have a burning desire to cook .

DD and I really want to stay on property. We LOVE WDW!!!! But I am trying not to be selfish as it is DH's vacation too. I keep telling myself we WILL eat up (no pin intended) the cost difference in free food even if we do eat a few meals off site.
Even though he isn't a WDW lover I think he would still prefer to be onsite. The stress of transportation back and forth would make him miserable I think. Plus POFQ/POR offers lots of things to do and see for relaxation. The boat to DTD is a big plus too.
TigrLvsPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Definitely POFQ with FD. And definitely check out the resorts for some wonderful dining experiences.

The advantage of staying at the POFQ and POR resorts is that you can end your day at a resort, after dining, and take the DTD bus back to the hub.

If you look up as you are exiting the bus hub, you will see the top of the volcano at RFC. The dock for the water taxi is just beyond RFC.

The water taxis run every 10 minutes after 4 p.m., so you never wait long for one. And POFQ is the first stop before heading to POR, so it is only about a 12 to 15 minute ride or so.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom
 
Eeyore's My Favorite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
Definitely POFQ with FD. And definitely check out the resorts for some wonderful dining experiences.

The advantage of staying at the POFQ and POR resorts is that you can end your day at a resort, after dining, and take the DTD bus back to the hub.

If you look up as you are exiting the bus hub, you will see the top of the volcano at RFC. The dock for the water taxi is just beyond RFC.

The water taxis run every 10 minutes after 4 p.m., so you never wait long for one. And POFQ is the first stop before heading to POR, so it is only about a 12 to 15 minute ride or so.
I would check out www.portorleans.org & look at the difference between POR & POFQ. Dh & I took the carriage ride through POFQ & decided it was way too small for us & nothing to do. POR offers a lot. We spent a whole evening just relaxing around the resort & people watching. We always stay in AB preferred. In the fall we're hoping to stay in the mansions. Enjoy your vacation.
__________________
Me : & DH :


Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
mousefan73
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 632

Does DD also dislike Epcot world showcase? Here are alot of dining options or other resort dining options. Boma for ex in AKL.

I ask as in the long run, if you max your dining credit, and enjoy dining WDW style, the disney package is the best option. I also think he would enjoy just the resort grounds.

I would take option 2. But i like disney!!
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
mousefan73
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 632

Plus you have the resort boats and can utilize DTD. Does option 1 mean staying mainly at the Marriott?? Port orleans doesnt have a in your face Disney feel. It is realaxibg. I wish we would invest more non park time there
mousefan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!
 
It'sWDW4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Way too far away from "home"
Posts: 3,003

Don't forget that you don't HAVE to go to a park to use your dining credits. Have dinner at a resort (Boma, Calif. Grill, etc) or on the Boardwalk or at DTD!
__________________

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,087

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's My Favorite

I would check out www.portorleans.org & look at the difference between POR & POFQ. Dh & I took the carriage ride through POFQ & decided it was way too small for us & nothing to do. POR offers a lot. We spent a whole evening just relaxing around the resort & people watching. We always stay in AB preferred. In the fall we're hoping to stay in the mansions. Enjoy your vacation.
POR is my home resort; I was responding to the OP who had very different desires that would not fit the POR.

Believe me, I know everything about POR and spend hours on this thread, as well as portorleans.org and allearsnet.com. I am not sure why you directed the response at me.
__________________




Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
Eeyore's My Favorite
EW Disney Mom
 
Eeyore's My Favorite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post

POR is my home resort; I was responding to the OP who had very different desires that would not fit the POR.

Believe me, I know everything about POR and spend hours on this thread, as well as portorleans.org and allearsnet.com. I am not sure why you directed the response at me.
Sorry! Didn't mean to step on toes!!
__________________
Me : & DH :


Well - the AP's have run out so it's time to begin saving again for the big 30th Wedding Anniversary Celebration.

AKL, CBR, WL, POP, POR, ASMo, ASMu, AS Sports, Fort Wilderness -1973-Grad Night : 1st WDW visit the year it opened!!
Eeyore's My Favorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
pooch
I feel so special now!!
 
pooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: enfield, ct
Posts: 3,383

I appreciate

any and all opinions !! And should I be surprised that not one Disser seriously suggested I stay at the Marriott????
__________________
POOCH
4/84 Off Site, 10/89 CBR, 9/99 DxL, 8/06 WL, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 POFQ, 9/09 Pop, 9/10 Pop, 8/11 Pop, 5/12 CSR, 11/12 At DD's, 12/13 POFQ
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer
 
pamkat1820's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Haven CT
Posts: 406

I would say POFQ also. Free food is free food. I would go for it. I would use that as your selling point to your DH. Lol (it would work with mine). My issue with staying off site seems so complicated. On site is simple, bus boat or monorail.
__________________


Me, DH, DD7, DS3

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Sue M
DIS Veteran
 
Sue M's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: B.C.
Posts: 9,457

I'm a little confused . If your DD is a CM at Universal, have you planned any Universal days? Can she get you a CM discount on a Universal resort? And free Univ. tickets?
I would do this, and since your only planning on 2 wdw park days, with DD, drive to wdw with her for your 2 wdw park days. And you'd be right at Universal to go there too.
__________________
Past Trips:
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
pooch
I feel so special now!!
 
pooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: enfield, ct
Posts: 3,383

Her CM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
I'm a little confused . If your DD is a CM at Universal, have you planned any Universal days? Can she get you a CM discount on a Universal resort? And free Univ. tickets?
I would do this, and since your only planning on 2 wdw park days, with DD, drive to wdw with her for your 2 wdw park days. And you'd be right at Universal to go there too.
discount at the Universal Resorts is very small, nowhere near the discount of Free Dining. And, yes, we will go to Universal Studios/IOA for free 1 day with her. But, since Univ/IOA closes between 6 and 7pm during our stay, we can easily return to WDW for dinner.
__________________
POOCH
4/84 Off Site, 10/89 CBR, 9/99 DxL, 8/06 WL, 9/07 Pop, 9/08 POFQ, 9/09 Pop, 9/10 Pop, 8/11 Pop, 5/12 CSR, 11/12 At DD's, 12/13 POFQ
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.