Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
tentaguasu
Mouseketeer

Carsland, Star Wars Land, Avatarland - What is Disney capable of doing?

I'm excited an anxious to see new things at Disney - I really want to have the joy of discovering new and exciting things so I'm amped up every time I hear about Carsland, or Star Wars land, or Avatarland - all of which are either announced (Avatarland) or seemingly credible/logical (Starwars Land).

The Studios needs some serious redos (according to most people) and Carsland makes sense. Star Wars Land - or at least some major starwars attractions, restaurants, etc. seem like a no-brainer given the new movies and enduring popularity of the franchise. And Avatarland seems to be moving forward despite the haters (I'm not one).

Yet... Can Disney do all of this? They just spent half a billion on Fantasyland and I take it the spent something like triple that on FP+.

I can't see them NOT doing some variation of all three (cars/SW/avatar) yet that seems like crazy cash investment in a short time frame.

Those of you who have a better sense of what Disney can and can't (or will and won't do) from a financial perspective, what do you foresee - can all of this happen soon (e.g. next 5 years)? If not, what stays and what goes?
tentaguasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu View Post
I'm excited an anxious to see new things at Disney - I really want to have the joy of discovering new and exciting things so I'm amped up every time I hear about Carsland, or Star Wars land, or Avatarland - all of which are either announced (Avatarland) or seemingly credible/logical (Starwars Land).

The Studios needs some serious redos (according to most people) and Carsland makes sense. Star Wars Land - or at least some major starwars attractions, restaurants, etc. seem like a no-brainer given the new movies and enduring popularity of the franchise. And Avatarland seems to be moving forward despite the haters (I'm not one).

Yet... Can Disney do all of this? They just spent half a billion on Fantasyland and I take it the spent something like triple that on FP+.

I can't see them NOT doing some variation of all three (cars/SW/avatar) yet that seems like crazy cash investment in a short time frame.

Those of you who have a better sense of what Disney can and can't (or will and won't do) from a financial perspective, what do you foresee - can all of this happen soon (e.g. next 5 years)? If not, what stays and what goes?
I think Star Wars land seems to be more for sure than a Carsland would be. Avatar I think will be amazing once it gets done but the question is when will it get done. Disney makes a ton of money through parks, movies, books, etc. and after the purchase of Lucas films they need to make these expansions in order to make more money. So you need to spend money in order to make money and disney is definitely not in need of huge amounts of money. Disney can do all of these things and more. Also don't forget they are also building disney springs which will cost a ton as well but help make more money in the future because its all shopping and restaurants so its going to be a goldmine for disney.

disney lover at heart

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
Nakkira
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
I think Star Wars land seems to be more for sure than a Carsland would be. Avatar I think will be amazing once it gets done but the question is when will it get done. Disney makes a ton of money through parks, movies, books, etc. and after the purchase of Lucas films they need to make these expansions in order to make more money. So you need to spend money in order to make money and disney is definitely not in need of huge amounts of money. Disney can do all of these things and more. Also don't forget they are also building disney springs which will cost a ton as well but help make more money in the future because its all shopping and restaurants so its going to be a goldmine for disney.

disney lover at heart
I can honestly say I would be first in line for Star Wars Land

Oct 2013 - 5 days (offsite hotel)
Feb 2009 -3 days (offsite hotel)
Oct 2004 - Week (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Feb 1998 - Week (offsite hotel)
Fall 1993 - Week (offsite hotel)
Nakkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
TI Park
Earning My Ears

Is there any truth with the Lord of the Rings rumor? because LOTR is awesome but doesn't seem like a fit at any of the parks except for HS which could be getting an expansion with cars or star wars.
TI Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TI Park View Post
Is there any truth with the Lord of the Rings rumor? because LOTR is awesome but doesn't seem like a fit at any of the parks except for HS which could be getting an expansion with cars or star wars.
The Lord of the Rings rumor started on one web site and I have yet to see it independently corroborated by anyone else.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

For what it's worth, I believe it was Jim Hill who claimed that the LOTR connection was merely posturing on Disney's part when they hit a rough patch on the Avatar project.

I couldn't find the article but they way I remember it, some execs from Disney gave a very visible tour of Cars Land--and had a very visible lunch--with execs associated with LOTR / Tolkien. The purpose of the meeting was just to send a message to James Cameron that they had other options if he didn't keep the Avatar plans moving forward.

In other words, there probably was a meeting between Disney / Tolkien but it was only intended to be a kick in the butt to Cameron. That sort of stuff happens all the time in Hollywood; star "A" wants too much money so the studio starts wining-and-dining star "B", hoping to drive down "A"s asking price.

I enjoy the LOTR movies but really don't see a good fit for Disney. Hollywood Studios is the only destination that makes sense, and they already have Star Wars and Cars Land as in-house options "A" and "B". Why pay decades of licensing fees to promote someone else's property when other in-house options exist...particularly Star Wars.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~Okay, just one more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentaguasu View Post

~Of course Disney can do all of this! The question is -- do they have to? I am willing to say, no. I don't see any incentive for Disney to build anything when park attendance is up by 73%. I don't see Star Wars or Carsland happening until 2020 at the earliest. There is so much uncertainty right now, we'll see.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Carbonfiber07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Of course Disney can do all of this! The question is -- do they have to? I am willing to say, no. I don't see any incentive for Disney to build anything when park attendance is up by 73%. I don't see Star Wars or Carsland happening until 2020 at the earliest. There is so much uncertainty right now, we'll see.
I have thought about this as well. And while sad, it is likely true. Why spend more money on the parks when they are at record attendance and profit levels? I realize that in business, complacency is a death sentence, but this is Disney we are talking about.

On the other hand, purchasing Star Wars for over $4B would need a serious ROI for just movies and merchandise. I am thinking that a Star Wars "expansion" of HS in some fashion is inevitable, especially given the current condition of that park. However, both Star Wars and Cars Land in the same park might be pushing against Disney's main revenue source: princesses.
Carbonfiber07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonfiber07 View Post
I have thought about this as well. And while sad, it is likely true. Why spend more money on the parks when they are at record attendance and profit levels? I realize that in business, complacency is a death sentence, but this is Disney we are talking about.

On the other hand, purchasing Star Wars for over $4B would need a serious ROI for just movies and merchandise. I am thinking that a Star Wars "expansion" of HS in some fashion is inevitable, especially given the current condition of that park. However, both Star Wars and Cars Land in the same park might be pushing against Disney's main revenue source: princesses.

Totally correct, except I don't think Star Wars or Cars land will compete with the princesses, more its part of the wide diversity that offers something for all ages groups. In addition what they offer is always or at least almost always top of the line, with what only Disney has been able to produce,*pixie dust*.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:

I think what Cars Land and Star Wars would do is open up WDW more to the Boys age 6 to 16 demographic (and their dads). Which is an area Disney seems to be missing on. I could totally see, if a Cars land and Star Wars Land come to HS, me taking DS to HS while DW and DD hit MK for an extra day.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
I think what Cars Land and Star Wars would do is open up WDW more to the Boys age 6 to 16 demographic (and their dads). Which is an area Disney seems to be missing on. I could totally see, if a Cars land and Star Wars Land come to HS, me taking DS to HS while DW and DD hit MK for an extra day.
good point agree both ip s help with this demographic at dhs
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Lol!
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
4under4
DIS Veteran

I definitely think they need to do a Star Wars Land first. It will have a much greater appeal to a wider demographic, and believe it or not there is a HUGE female following (myself & DD included). Plenty of "Princess Power" in the SW franchise!

I understand there is value in reusing something tried-and-true, but I also think that having the same "land" on both coasts means there is less incentive for families to experience both locations. We are heading to WDW this year, but plan to hit up DL next summer when we are on the west coast for a family reunion. If DL didn't have anything I couldn't find in WDW, I would probably skip it and just plan another trip to WDW later in the year.

Me & DH plus our gang: DS12 DS10 DD/DS8

4under4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
scrappinannie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
I would love to see maybe at least a ride or attraction or 2 from some of the more masculine Disney themes, or at least something more gender neutral. I have a 3 1/2 yr old ds who will be almost 4 when we go this October & we're still pretty heavy on the princess stuff (have a 6 year old DD, as well). I think Star Wars, Cars (not really represented at all in Florida), Spiderman, Monsters Inc, or even Toy Story could all provide some really awesome ideas for rides. A Monsters Coaster could be pretty cool, as would some sort of themed character meal featuring heroes and villians. You can build an attraction or 2 and not build a whole land and certainly there's room for that at DHS.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile ~Excellent post!

Quote:

~Hi Carbonfiber07, I just had another epiphany. Disney has ridden the tide with free dining, Food & Wine, etc. But in another thread, a poster mentioned DVC. I overlooked DVC -- and I see no signs of DVC construction slowing down. In contrast, we've seen very little investment of new attractions in the parks. I think Disney's strategy may encompass more DVC in lieu of new attractions. If they keep selling DVC and fill the rooms during the slower times with free dining -- there is really no incentive for Disney to build new attractions. With that said, I hope I'm wrong.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: